• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that the season has ended there is a need for a realistic appraisal of what has gone before and a sensible expectation of what is to come. There is no magic formula for success, most of it is down to luck and the outcome of a few critical moments.
If Mansfield had sacked Clough when they were in the bottom three in October, they might not be in the play offs final now. Conversely, if we had kept faith with Brown, instead of Martin bowing to an orchestrated campaign organised by one of those now in charge, who knows if he might have turned things around.
What is fact is that of the current squad, Dalby, Cardwell and Husin have all had chances at this level and higher and have failed to take them up to now so expecting them to suddenly blossom and reach a new level of consistency are gambles, as are Powell and Kensdale. Arnold and Murphy have nothing to prove at this level and Demetriou is an established veteran but the rest of the squad is desperately thin and in no position to mount a realistic promotion challenge unless the squad is strengthened all round. There has been a lot of talk but talk is cheap unless backed up by action.
Can see you’re exiled.

With a post like that, it must be the 1st of April where you are?

Most players are under contract until the end of May (at least). I’d be very surprised to see any transfer action until 1 June at the earliest.

Some players may have a deal that pays them in June if they haven't signed for someone else by a certain time. So even if the are coming up a level Ron may want to delay the signing

Michael Turner had a contract that paid him an extra month if he hadn't moved before the end of June. Delaying his signing meant Norwich paid him £60,000 more than us for the month of July.

Official Vanarama TOTS. NLN/NLS.

Wonder if any of these lot are on our shopping list ?
Now that the season has ended there is a need for a realistic appraisal of what has gone before and a sensible expectation of what is to come. There is no magic formula for success, most of it is down to luck and the outcome of a few critical moments.
If Mansfield had sacked Clough when they were in the bottom three in October, they might not be in the play offs final now. Conversely, if we had kept faith with Brown, instead of Martin bowing to an orchestrated campaign organised by one of those now in charge, who knows if he might have turned things around.
What is fact is that of the current squad, Dalby, Cardwell and Husin have all had chances at this level and higher and have failed to take them up to now so expecting them to suddenly blossom and reach a new level of consistency are gambles, as are Powell and Kensdale. Arnold and Murphy have nothing to prove at this level and Demetriou is an established veteran but the rest of the squad is desperately thin and in no position to mount a realistic promotion challenge unless the squad is strengthened all round. There has been a lot of talk but talk is cheap unless backed up by action.
?

Alrighty!

When you say you're an "exile", I assume you mean that you're exiled from reality.....right?

Can see you’re exiled.

With a post like that, it must be the 1st of April where you are?

I will resist the temptation to say too much about Phil Brown's management in National League, except to say he had clearly lost the plot and had to be relieved from his duties.

With respect to the comments on Dalby, Cardwell and Husin, I think you are being incredibly harsh. Dalby is a very promising young striker who did extremely in his first season at the club; Cardwell made the switch from part-time football at Chorley to full-time football at Southend in an impressive fashion and has demonstrated already all the attributes to do really well at the club; and Husin has shown he is a skilful but competitive midfielder who can score goals.

Personally, I think the management team are spot on with their recruitment strategy. Let's be blunt. Southend are not in a financial position to sign players at the absolute peak of their powers. Instead, they can do one of three things:

1. Sign expensive, experienced players with a good pedigree but have seen better days and are declining. That approach has been tried and largely failed during the last decade.

2. Sign solid or established players from Divisions 1 and 2. Such players do not come cheap and are difficult to get on affordable terms.

3. Sign players from the lower reaches of the National League or more likely from the National League South or National League North.

These players have demonstrated real ability (albeit at a generally lower level than at Southend), may have experienced rejection already in the professional game but are hungry to succeed and are relatively affordable, and have considerable potential re-sale value.

Given Southend's current status, option 3 looks by far the most sensible strategy for the club and it seems to be the route that Stan, Kev and the rest of the management team are following.

I just hope there are sufficient resources in the club so that Southend go after their top targets almost immediately.

Thank you @blues exile for giving us an laugh, I never laughed so hard when you mentioned Phil Brown!!

Thank you @blues exile for giving us an laugh, I never laughed so hard when you mentioned Phil Brown!!
I know nuance is a quality seldom seen on this forum, but a more thoughtful read of my post would confirm that I was contrasting the Clough/Mansfield situation with what happened at Southend. Both clubs were in relegation trouble back in October, Mansfield took one approach, we took another. No one can say with any certainty what the outcome would have been if they had sacked Clough and we had kept Brown. And of course, nowhere was I advocating a particular course of action, merely pointing out the facts.
Similarly, my comments on the present squad are based on past performances and statistics rather than faith in the future. Getting promoted from this league is the hardest of all and only time will tell if the present strategies will be successful. Optimism and blind faith are all very well but guarantee nothing. Certainly the club seems in a more stable position now. Whether that results in a realistic promotion challenge next season depends on the squad being strengthened with the right blend of new faces.

Not all of our older players have been duds.

Cox
Fortune
Goater
Bradbury
Freedman
Harris
Etc were all decent strikers in their twilights.

If anything it's ageing defenders that have caused us all the problems.

Exactly. Every player is an individual, it's silly to target to one type of age group and discriminate against it. Then again this is Shrimperzone.

Read on here that Kev is on holiday, so i would be surprised if we signed any new players untill he returns..

I wouldn't. Everyone has a phone nowadays with video calling tech. I bet Kev wouldn't care about taking a call during his holiday to get a target he wants in.

I wouldn't. Everyone has a phone nowadays with video calling tech. I bet Kev wouldn't care about taking a call during his holiday to get a target he wants in.
I suspect the management team ar probably on a hiking/camping holiday somewhere with no electricity and zero phone coverage.

I know nuance is a quality seldom seen on this forum, but a more thoughtful read of my post would confirm that I was contrasting the Clough/Mansfield situation with what happened at Southend. Both clubs were in relegation trouble back in October, Mansfield took one approach, we took another. No one can say with any certainty what the outcome would have been if they had sacked Clough and we had kept Brown. And of course, nowhere was I advocating a particular course of action, merely pointing out the facts.
Similarly, my comments on the present squad are based on past performances and statistics rather than faith in the future. Getting promoted from this league is the hardest of all and only time will tell if the present strategies will be successful. Optimism and blind faith are all very well but guarantee nothing. Certainly the club seems in a more stable position now. Whether that results in a realistic promotion challenge next season depends on the squad being strengthened with the right blend of new faces.
"Conversely, if we had kept faith with Brown, instead of Martin bowing to an orchestrated campaign organised by one of those now in charge, who knows if he might have turned things around.
What is fact is that of the current squad, Dalby, Cardwell and Husin have all had chances at this level and higher and have failed to take them up to now..."

Absolutely none of that comes across in the neutral and unbiased manner that you claim to have typed it in.

At the end of the day:

1. Whilst nobody knows for sure that it would have happened, we looked to be heading for a third successive relegation under Brown, and changing manager caused us to recover to mid-table.
  2. If you're going on "past performances and statistics" alone, then you probably need a wake-up call. We are neither at the level, nor have the financial power, to sign players on "performances and statistics" alone. The players who look great based on those go to clubs at higher levels, and for fees and wages that we can ill afford. So there has to be some "optimism and blind faith" involved by necessity.
  3. The players we've brought in have been scouted extensively by John Still, his network of scouts, Stan Collymore and some members of the management team. There's a lot of football experience and know-how there, and they haven't made their judgements based on "blind optimism and faith". They've made them because they watched them numerous times in person befire recommending them, unlike yourself. I'd trust their judgements an awful lot more than I would yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back