• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nuance is a quality seldom seen on this forum, but a more thoughtful read of my post would confirm that I was contrasting the Clough/Mansfield situation with what happened at Southend. Both clubs were in relegation trouble back in October, Mansfield took one approach, we took another. No one can say with any certainty what the outcome would have been if they had sacked Clough and we had kept Brown. And of course, nowhere was I advocating a particular course of action, merely pointing out the facts.
Similarly, my comments on the present squad are based on past performances and statistics rather than faith in the future. Getting promoted from this league is the hardest of all and only time will tell if the present strategies will be successful. Optimism and blind faith are all very well but guarantee nothing. Certainly the club seems in a more stable position now. Whether that results in a realistic promotion challenge next season depends on the squad being strengthened with the right blend of new faces.
Mansfield drew too many games in first half of the season, as their young side was playing best football but not getting the wins they deserved. Southend Utd have too many ageing players, played awful football, go behind, they just quit easily. Even Kevin Maher walked in on first day, he mentioned that the team don’t even have an soul as their confidence was totally shot.

Now that the season has ended there is a need for a realistic appraisal of what has gone before and a sensible expectation of what is to come. There is no magic formula for success, most of it is down to luck and the outcome of a few critical moments.
If Mansfield had sacked Clough when they were in the bottom three in October, they might not be in the play offs final now. Conversely, if we had kept faith with Brown, instead of Martin bowing to an orchestrated campaign organised by one of those now in charge, who knows if he might have turned things around.
What is fact is that of the current squad, Dalby, Cardwell and Husin have all had chances at this level and higher and have failed to take them up to now so expecting them to suddenly blossom and reach a new level of consistency are gambles, as are Powell and Kensdale. Arnold and Murphy have nothing to prove at this level and Demetriou is an established veteran but the rest of the squad is desperately thin and in no position to mount a realistic promotion challenge unless the squad is strengthened all round. There has been a lot of talk but talk is cheap unless backed up by action.

yada yada yada ....

the Shrimperzone massively backed Moseley - very, very few people wanted him gone by Novemeber ...

hahhahhahhahahahhahaha -

the most disasterous manager in the history of SUFC .. the worst appointment ever ,, and hardly word on here saying get rid

"Conversely, if we had kept faith with Brown, instead of Martin bowing to an orchestrated campaign organised by one of those now in charge, who knows if he might have turned things around.
What is fact is that of the current squad, Dalby, Cardwell and Husin have all had chances at this level and higher and have failed to take them up to now..."

Absolutely none of that comes across in the neutral and unbiased manner that you claim to have typed it in.

At the end of the day:

1. Whilst nobody knows for sure that it would have happened, we looked to be heading for a third successive relegation under Brown, and changing manager caused us to recover to mid-table.
  2. If you're going on "past performances and statistics" alone, then you probably need a wake-up call. We are neither at the level, nor have the financial power, to sign players on "performances and statistics" alone. The players who look great based on those go to clubs at higher levels, and for fees and wages that we can ill afford. So there has to be some "optimism and blind faith" involved by necessity.
  3. The players we've brought in have been scouted extensively by John Still, his network of scouts, Stan Collymore and some members of the management team. There's a lot of football experience and know-how there, and they haven't made their judgements based on "blind optimism and faith". They've made them because they watched them numerous times in person befire recommending them, unlike yourself. I'd trust their judgements an awful lot more than I would yours!
Once again your adherence to your own agenda prevents you from basic comprehension of the points I have made. Nowhere have I advocated keeping Brown. Similarly the three players mentioned have all done the rounds at various EFL clubs and none have as yet made the grade at that level. Fact.
To answer your points.
1) Mansfield were heading for relegation. They kept Clough. We axed Brown. Neither you nor I can say what would have happened if the opposite decisions were taken.
2) Accepting the financial constraints and our bad financial reputation, transfer targets are limited. However, if players have tried and failed at a higher level previously why would you expect them to step up now in the context of a serious promotion challenge? To sign a bunch of 'last pay day' veterans is short termism in the extreme but a sprinkling of proven success among the youngsters might be a better blend. There is no magic formula, sucess or failure is usually determined by fine margins often outside of predictability.
3) No doubt the scouting has been thorough and exrensive within the prescribed limits. My reference to blind faith was with reference to the fan club element who question nothing.

yada yada yada ....

the Shrimperzone massively backed Moseley - very, very few people wanted him gone by Novemeber ...

hahhahhahhahahahhahaha -

the most disasterous manager in the history of SUFC .. the worst appointment ever ,, and hardly word on here saying get rid
I certainly didn't .I wanted him gone asap (and I know others who felt the same way).What he's "achieved" at Aldershot shows his true level I feel.

Fully agree with you last comments BTW.

OK everyone - can we keep this to the topic of this summer's transfer speculation and rumours please? It's long enough already (and we haven't even signed anyone yet) without clogging it up with disagreements about the relative merits of previous regimes or other clubs!

Thank you.

Think we might go for Danny Elliot from Boston,now they are not going up.But are national league north/south really going to get us out of this league?Look at last year, bar from steveee,our best 2 players where loans Neil 19 year old and lopata 21 year olds, so would we be better with 4/5 loans from higher league clubs?probably not premiership league plays,big time Charlie's like dennis,who think they have made it already.so personal would like for us to be looking at championship/league one players.

A. Grant still have lots to offer on the pitch, as one of the older head, good example for our young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back