• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Summer/Autumn Transfer Targets/Rumours Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t get several years to build a squad at this level.

Teams are built using loanees and anyone permanent who flashes potential is quickly snapped up - just look at Sam Dalby who was off after just a season of good - not even great.

Take yesterday’s opponents Solihull’s line-up for instance.

Moulden - loanee
Kelleher- loanee
Howe - 2019
Coker - signed 2 weeks ago
Clarke - loanee
Osborne - 2017
Mayock - Aug 2020
Barnett - July 2021
Sbarra - Sept 2020
Reid - loanee
Dallas - Aug 2021

Just two players from more than 2 years ago.

It’ll likely be a new team next year. Sure there may be some holdovers but if Sbarra has again the type of season he had last year I wouldn’t expect him to still be around - instead it’ll be the lesser players who stick around. The complementary players rather than the building blocks.
Very fair post. I should just clarify that I didn’t either request or advocate taking several years to build a squad. I simply pointed out the obvious truth that both Boreham Wood and Solihull have done just that, and benefit accordingly.

While a narrow look at Solihull’s starting XI yesterday presents the image that they have effectively started from scratch, being even less long in the tooth as a cohesive team than our XI, that is not the totality of the picture.

Teams are built using loanees and anyone permanent who flashes potential is quickly snapped up - just look at Sam Dalby who was off after just a season of good - not even great.

Moulden - loanee
Kelleher- loanee
Howe - 2019
Clarke - loanee
Osborne - 2017
Mayock - Aug 2020
Barnett - July 2021
Sbarra - Sept 2020
Reid - loanee
Dallas - Aug 2021

It’ll likely be a new team next year. Sure there may be some holdovers but if Sbarra has again the type of season he had last year I wouldn’t expect him to still be around - instead it’ll be the lesser players who stick around. The complementary players rather than the building blocks.

Yes, true, and I wonder if this is the sort of team we will become, as you say Dalby has gone, now with rumour's of Ipswich reportedly sniffing around Kensdale I wonder if Loanees aren't the
way forward...maybe get you into the play off's and then its a cup final

I personally welcome the rumours of big clubs with big pockets sniffing around our players. The more times we can sell on a player for a good profit the better. Hopefully we can keep Kensdale for the season at least though.

I personally welcome the rumours of big clubs with big pockets sniffing around our players. The more times we can sell on a player for a good profit the better. Hopefully we can keep Kensdale for the season at least though.
It's good if it goes in our transfer/wage pot for reinvestment, but we all know that won't be the case.

It's good if it goes in our transfer/wage pot for reinvestment, but we all know that won't be the case.
It’s good regardless. If Tom Lawrence pays bills with a transfer fee rather than buying a new striker at least we won’t be back in court. Then we wouldn’t be able to sign anyone anyway.

It's also a good selling for Stan when he's talking to potential signings. The club won't stand in the way of a player getting a move to a club in a higher division
Would rather the better players stayed long enough to help us get to a higher division (well, just back into the league would be good).

I wonder if Loanees aren't the
way forward...maybe get you into the play off's and then its a cup final
Nottingham Forest last season good example. Had they not gone up, 1/2 their team would no longer be there. Then they wouldn't have had the finances available this season, which has seen them sign nigh on a complete team on contracts.

The first two games have shown we do not look capable of scoring 2-3 goals which is needed to win games. I don’t believe we can afford to wait for the injured to return because if we do we will have too big a mountain to climb. We need at least 1 main threat striker signed now. That will show the fans we actually have ambition. If not forget ever getting out of this league.

I would never criticise Ron for not investing. However now is a time to do so. The three strikers seem out for sometime to come. Wreh is untested but tries hard. There is not another no9. Lack of goals will cost us.

Moulden - loanee
Kelleher- loanee
Howe - 2019
Clarke - loanee
Osborne - 2017
Mayock - Aug 2020
Barnett - July 2021
Sbarra - Sept 2020
Reid - loanee
Dallas - Aug 2021

Agree very much here with Yorky

Indeed many of the teams that have gone up and out of this league have done so on the back of high scoring LOANEE strikers, Some seasons 4 out of ten top strikers have been loanees, propelling teams in to the play offs or beyond

Slight trouble is we dont have a great track record, in the very recent past of bringing in excellent loanee forwards/ strikers, Apart from good stuff at times from Dennis, we have had Kargbo, Kimpioka, Hackett Fairchild, Stirling, Ndukwa, Coulthirst, Mc Coulsky, The list goes on

On the other hand excellent recruitment from the new team with defenders and Midfield loanees like LOPATA, Brunt and Neal, Maybe we will find another Gem upfront ?!

Yes but if it goes into the transfer/wage pot for 'reinvestment' how do we ever begin to pay our debts?
For many years our expenditure has exceeded our income.
Keeping to budget and recruiting cheaply is surely the only way forward.

The first two games have shown we do not look capable of scoring 2-3 goals which is needed to win games. I don’t believe we can afford to wait for the injured to return because if we do we will have too big a mountain to climb. We need at least 1 main threat striker signed now. That will show the fans we actually have ambition. If not forget ever getting out of this league.
If we can't afford it then we will have to wait for our injured strikers to come back. It's usually about this time when we are under an embargo for a few months so at least that isn't happening this time.

I think you're wrong on every count. Firstly (and obviously), you only need one goal to win a game. I think what you're really saying is that we need more than one because you don't have faith in our ability to keep a clean sheet. Obviously we haven't managed that yet, but I would also say that during the Boreham Wood game Arnold was hardly troubled. Other than the goal they hardly laid a glove on us. I didn't go on Saturday so can't comment. On what I have seen I think our defence (which is also under-staffed at the moment) is more than capable.

I also don't agree that we need a player now or it's too late. There is plenty of time. We're still in mid-August.

It is massively early days and a good run later can make all the difference as can just one signing. I remember Ian Holloways Blackpool gaining promotion after hanging about below mid table. He attributed it to one key striker signing galvanising the whole side, midway through the season although I guess that would be pretty rare, but happened.

But important to note that a fast start is critical. for example 7 points or less after 10 games, is thought to give only a 12% chance of surviving relegation
Equally 69% of teams leading the table in September, go on to win it, although stats from BBC and cover 20 years of research on the Premier league, so some pinch of salt welcome !

However it is pretty well known across the leagues just how critical a decent start is to success

So quite important not to also be hampered in any way for example say by injuries , poor planning, bad luck, or from any ramifications from something like an embargo

I think you're wrong on every count. Firstly (and obviously), you only need one goal to win a game. I think what you're really saying is that we need more than one because you don't have faith in our ability to keep a clean sheet. Obviously we haven't managed that yet, but I would also say that during the Boreham Wood game Arnold was hardly troubled. Other than the goal they hardly laid a glove on us. I didn't go on Saturday so can't comment. On what I have seen I think our defence (which is also under-staffed at the moment) is more than capable.

I also don't agree that we need a player now or it's too late. There is plenty of time. We're still in mid-August.
That’s the joy of this we are free to disagree. But the stats don’t lie and we have been poor up top the last season or so.

That’s the joy of this we are free to disagree. But the stats don’t lie and we have been poor up top the last season or so.
Agreed, with that lack of options up front, but you actually stated you need 2-3 goals to win a game. That is factually incorrect and can only be true if we concede. My point is that our defence isn't that bad, you countered that by saying our attack isn't good enough, which doesn't really address the issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back