• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ideally need to sign Fagan, keep Auger on a year contract as right back cover and find a second choice left back which we currently don't have! He seems to be making lots of noises about getting another right back, but if Coker breaks his leg first game of the season, what are we going to do? Play a centre back or a right back at left back for a season?

In fairness, should that happen to Coker we would probably bring in a LB on loan. I do agree, though, that we should ideally have cover for the full back positions. All depends on our budget, I guess. I would think cover for LB and cover for RB should now be more of a priority than signing Fagan - if the wage budget stretches that far.

but if Coker breaks his leg first game of the season, what are we going to do? Play a centre back or a right back at left back for a season?

Just a guess but I reckon we'd get someone in on loan.

Prosser can fill in for the odd game at left-back. Thompson can also cover at right back. So I'd expect us to still be after Bolger and if he signs I'd be happy with the squad as it is.

It would be great to get someone in to cover for Timlin but maybe we should give Clifford a crack first and loan someone if need be.

If Brown doesn't rate Auger that much, it's surely best to still have him as cover and spend the money to sign a left back cover that we don't have?

Prosser can fill in for the odd game at left-back. Thompson can also cover at right back. So I'd expect us to still be after Bolger and if he signs I'd be happy with the squad as it is.

It would be great to get someone in to cover for Timlin but maybe we should give Clifford a crack first and loan someone if need be.

Not talking about an odd game though. If Coker is ruled out for the season after the first game then we've got no one really capable of playing LB for a season. Or we've got a matter of days to sort out a loan deal for a LB, when most of the better ones would most likely have been loaned out at that point. Just don't really understand the priority of RB over LB when we already have Auger. Good cover on one side and okay cover on the other side is still better than good cover on one side and no cover on the other.

If God forbid Coker was ruled out for the reason, White, Prosser and Thompson could all cover while we sorted out a loan. It'd be great if we signed someone who could play both full-back positions though.

Decent cover at LB and RB we won't get because they're a luxuary we can't afford and because our first choice players are nailed down.

If either got a major injury then we'd dip into the loan market like we always do. Leonard, Atkinson and Prosser can all do jobs at LB and RB if required as a short term solution.

Not sure what all this talk is about Coker breaking a leg - it could happen to any player that they are crocked early on in the season (a la Bennett v Yoevil).

Yes, it is nice to have cover in place but I'm not sure the management will have this as their first priority when selecting a player. Surely each player in the squad should, theoretically, be competing for their preferred place in the team and be selected when their performances are suitable - not just on the bench as "cover" should an injury come along ......... or have I missed something?

Not talking about an odd game though. If Coker is ruled out for the season after the first game then we've got no one really capable of playing LB for a season. Or we've got a matter of days to sort out a loan deal for a LB, when most of the better ones would most likely have been loaned out at that point.

Most of the better ones are probably not going to want to come here to warm the bench whilst Coker starts, either.

Ideally we'd have cover for every position but if we're working with a 20-man squad unfortunately that isn't going to happen.

But what is the point in signing Auger (for instance) if the managment team do not think he is up to the job of getting in the team and keeping his place due to good performances? Either the player is good enough to play for Southend or not.

Better to free up the wage and give Brown more options should an injury come along, yes?

But what is the point in signing Auger (for instance) if the managment team do not think he is up to the job of getting in the team and keeping his place due to good performances? Either the player is good enough to play for Southend or not.

Better to free up the wage and give Brown more options should an injury come along, yes?

We haven't signed Auger.

We can sign players for their future potential (Laynes, Brown, Auger(?)) and as potential backup rather than expecting them to definitely challenge for a start.

We haven't signed Auger.

We can sign players for their future potential (Laynes, Brown, Auger(?)) and as potential backup rather than expecting them to definitely challenge for a start.

I know we haven't sign Auger .......... zzzzzzzzzzz - please try to keep ................ up.

The question is why have a player as "cover" and then use the loan market when a player gets injured? :facepalm:

I thought we were after him on loan again. makes me think it may be someone totally different.

I thought we were after him on loan again. makes me think it may be someone totally different.

We were. However Bolton wanted to sell for a fee + add ons and their local paper suggested the other day that they'd accepted our bid.

Back