• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sunderland AFC

Lost Mackem

Striker
Not sure if anyone will care, but this could be huge national football news (hopefully).

Sunderland AFC are close to being bought by 3 billionaires - one if which being Michael Dell, the CEO of DELL, who happens to have a net worth of $37bn, double that of Man City's Sheikh Mansour (according to Google). The other two are billionaires too, who are close business partners to Dell. We already have a billionaire shareholder (Juan Sartori) that is the Son-In-Law of The AS Monaco (multi-billionaire) owner, meaning we'd have four multi-billionaires on our board.

According to reports, the current main shareholder and his business partner, will keep some shares in the club and will still handle the day to day running, which many fans are more than happy at.

The foundations are really starting to set.

After what feels like an eternity of hurt, I pray to God that this goes through.

You've got to feel that the NETFLIX doc had some part to play in this.

The Sunderland Message Boards are unsuprisingly in absolute meltdown and I myself can't contain my excitement.

Please don't ruin my happiness and excitement by pointing out faults.

MODS please delete this thread when it inevitably becomes public knowledge that the deal is off.

Here's some links:

SMB (where it gets really interesting): https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/takeover-rumour.1483802/page-47

Roker Report: https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/pl...rland-details-of-american-consortium-revealed

Sunderland Echo: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/spor...tGUOUhGrhMOfVoxD34Gy3TShGRLa2ZRnHi4rkLmIvM3uk

Times back page:

That is all very good news for Sunderland AFC if it all comes off.

I am sure Ron Martin will be interested and trying to think of ways he can get that sort of investment.

Ask Dell to send one off those billionaire friends of his to Southend will you .....thanks

That's all very good for Sunderland, but real football fans will never give credit to the Likes of first Chelsea then Man City, because success and trophies were bought with a massive advantage over all other clubs. I actually root for any team playing those two. Without that money injection, Man City would probably be mid table or possibly in the Championship. Shame if a great club like Sunderland become one of those hated clubs.

That's all very good for Sunderland, but real football fans will never give credit to the Likes of first Chelsea then Man City, because success and trophies were bought with a massive advantage over all other clubs. I actually root for any team playing those two. Without that money injection, Man City would probably be mid table or possibly in the Championship. Shame if a great club like Sunderland become one of those hated clubs.
I agree 100%. Clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United will always have respect of football fans for what they have achieved over the years but not the sugar daddy type clubs

I agree 100%. Clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United will always have respect of football fans for what they have achieved over the years but not the sugar daddy type clubs

I think at that stage it'd cease to be my club.

I know my Chelsea mate gave up under Abramovich. It no longer felt like it was his club.

It's being rumoured they're not just going to pump money in (Like Man City), but instead going to aim to make us a sustainable club and aim to be more like Dortmund/RB Leipzig.

Haven't Liverpool and Manchester United both also bought success? I'm sure if you work out their transfer spend since ~2004 it'll be very similar to Chelsea. If you work it out from ~2009 it'll be similar to City etc.

I would have no problem in them spending billions for us to win leagues/trophies like City or Chelsea. I have alot of time for City fans and their club, and alot of City/Sunderland supporters see abit of themselves in each other, and have done for many years. Very similar clubs before City's fortunes.

Last edited:
It's being rumoured they're not just going to pump money in (Like Man City), but instead going to aim to make us a sustainable club and aim to be more like Dortmund/RB Leipzig.

Haven't Liverpool and Manchester United both also bought success? I'm sure if you work out their transfer spend since ~2004 it'll be very similar to Chelsea. If you work it out from ~2009 it'll be similar to City etc.

I would have no problem in them spending billions for us to win leagues/trophies like City or Chelsea. I have alot of time for City fans and their club, and alot of City/Sunderland supporters see abit of themselves in each other for many years. Very similar clubs before City's fortunes.
Liverpool and Manchester United are massive worldwide clubs who have built there own wealth.I can understand you as a Sunderland fan being excited and good luck to you but most football fans will never respect teams who's success is built on very rich owners.Southend are not a big club like say Sunderland but if we got a mega rich owner and went to premier league and maybe won it all other fans would put it down to our wealthy owner and we would not command the respect as say teams that have established themselves over time.With regards to Liverpool the net spend since klopps time there has been moderate.Vastly less than Manchester City in similar period

Last edited:
It's not just the transfer fee's, they pay zillions in wages and bonuses. For some trophies, the players were getting a few Million each, plus suspected under the counter payments. No wonder they go crazy every time they win one, anyone would. It's a big incentive and advantage.

Some more good news for the folk on Wearside.

Stewart Donald (our current owner) has just sold his main source of income (Bridle Insurance).

Suggests to us Sunderland fans that the takeover is complete, he's keeping some of his shares and investing his time fully into Sunderland AFC.

I doubt he could afford to sell his company if he had the majority shares in the club.

That's another bias, subjective opinion from me however.

Some more good news for the folk on Wearside.

Stewart Donald (our current owner) has just sold his main source of income (Bridle Insurance).

Suggests to us Sunderland fans that the takeover is complete, he's keeping some of his shares and investing his time fully into Sunderland AFC.

I doubt he could afford to sell his company if he had the majority shares in the club.

That's another bias, subjective opinion from me however.

I cant imagine he made that much on the sale, Bridle according to the insurance press reports , deal with 10M GWP pa , and employs 17 people, with the best will in the world that's not going make a profit of much more than 1 M a year , so not a multi million sale price I would imagine.

They are Oxford based, do you have a softy southerner running your club ?

I cant imagine he made that much on the sale, Bridle according to the insurance press reports , deal with 10M GWP pa , and employs 17 people, with the best will in the world that's not going make a profit of much more than 1 M a year , so not a multi million sale price I would imagine.

They are Oxford based, do you have a softy southerner running your club ?

Aye. In fairness to him, he's done brilliant. Him and his business partner are huge Oxford fans, so it's impressive to have someone who 'knows football' to be running our club. They do termly podcasts too with one of our fanzines to keep us updated on the club and the ins and outs, and also answers fans' questions on Twitter. It's extremely refreshing to have a football club this transparent after the years of misery we've had, especially after the club was in such a bad place - that's why everybody is so happy that they're potentially staying on board as minority shareholders if the takeover goes through.

The owner before them, Ellis Short: Despite the (horrific) job our old owner, Ellis Short did, he bought out the debt that the club had upon selling the club to Stewart and his business partner Charlie. The debt was £250m+. It's strange that an owner that had no clue how to run a football club and put us in the position we're in has so much respect from Sunderland fans. We know that Ellis really did care, yet was just extremely badly advised.

Onwards and upwards thanks to those three characters named above.

Fair play to him,

Just looked on Wiki his net worth £8.4 million (April 2018) so with good fiscal care , given your crowds etc , you should be fine going forward , maybe not Man City levels of wealth , but more like a true football club

Back