• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Support Spain!

Yeah. But the implication was there. Granted, there is a problem with racism in Spanish football but I don't anyone in England can make too much of a thing of it. Aside from the "**** - turk" thing, you rarely hear the Spanish boo another country's national anthem, for instance ...

Yeah. But the implication was there. Granted, there is a problem with racism in Spanish football but I don't anyone in England can make too much of a thing of it. Aside from the "**** - turk" thing, you rarely hear the Spanish boo another country's national anthem, for instance ...

That's not a racist thing, they do that for every country. Except maybe Northern Ireland!

And Formula 1.

I'm considering lending my support to Poland. Plucky chaps one and all, a great help during the Battle of Britain and it shouldn't be too hard to find a few of them to celebrate with.

And Formula 1.

A grand total of six people from a population of over 40 million doesn't make Spain a rascist country just as a few thousand at the Stadium of Light chanting a preference to be a **** over a Turk doesn't make every Englander one either. What those idiots did at Montmelo was inexcusable (and the press condemned the behaviour as well) but let's not tar an entire nation on such action.

A grand total of six people from a population of over 40 million doesn't make Spain a rascist country just as a few thousand at the Stadium of Light chanting a preference to be a **** over a Turk doesn't make every Englander one either. What those idiots did at Montmelo was inexcusable (and the press condemned the behaviour as well) but let's not tar an entire nation on such action.

It was actually a chant of "I'd rather bomb Turkey than Iraq"

It was actually a chant of "I'd rather bomb Turkey than Iraq"

Was it now? My ears and eyes must have been playing tricks on me then ... badly ...

"Nor were the English fans who, when England played Turkey in 2003, chanted: “I’d rather be a **** than a Turk.” This is the contemporary equivalent of the bananas thrown at black players 20 years ago."

"The FA were fined by UEFA when some home fans sang "I'd rather be a **** than a Turk" at an England v Turkey match in 2003."

"In the first half an old racist favourite was given a new twist to become ‘I’d rather be a **** than a Turk’ which could be clearly heard on one occasion during the first half. That the chant came directly after ‘No Surrender to the IRA’ clearly demonstrated it had been inspired by the ‘hard core’ elements which continue to follow their national team."

"Commentators inclined to complacency will have been rudely awakened by events at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland in April, when England beat Turkey amid chants of “Die, Muslim, die” and “I’d rather be a **** than a Turk". Police made more than a hundred arrests - but not one was for a “racially aggravated” offence."

"In Sunderland, the chants of "I'd rather be a **** than a Turk" were clearly audible yet did not prompt any intervention from the stewards."

I was there Mike, people who were with me were singing what I alluded ot earlier. Most of the North Stand was in fact.

Never heard any anti "****" chants either.

Easy to accuse, isn't it?

On the strength of the chanting at the Bernebeu and the incident at Montmelo, the whole of Spain is apparently an overtly racist country to many in the UK.

Yet it works both ways: the despicable BNP, the equally nasty National Front, the anti-Turk chants, the ten green bombers song and the anti-Alonso campaign; all could attribute to the UK being regarded as an overtly racist country as well, surely?

I'm not accusing!
Plus, Spain probably play the best flowing football in Euro2008 so on purely footballing terms they will be a team I will follow.

Back