• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpers Trust News Supporters Group Zoom Meeting - 7th October 2021

No Southend united means no covenant. RH will have houses on quicker than if he had to build a stadium.

We all have our beef with Ron. To different levels of course but the so called fans who want to see him fail at all costs would actually make him more money.

In personally would rather see the stadium more central. The Queensway site would be perfect. Sadly we are to far down the road, which means FF or bust.

They road started when a mob of 2 generations ago demanded 'Rubins Out'.....They guaranteed things could only get better.
The new stadium is covered by a Section (forget which number) in the new development isn’t it. The stadium has to be started first and completed before the housing project. So that’s where the real guarantee lies I think.

The new stadium is covered by a Section (forget which number) in the new development isn’t it. The stadium has to be started first and completed before the housing project. So that’s where the real guarantee lies I think.

Yep, spot on and It's a Section 106, Kentblues.

It's simple really, at the end of the day Ron is a very small time property developer who struggles to raise finance day to day and is relying on this one big dream to make his money. In the meantime SUFC have suffered gravely.

A few observations from me.

1) Let's stop the fake offence at the expletive, he used it to emphasise a point (for instance, he didn't say "I love the club you ****ing idiot", which is a personal attack). Everyone's a grown up and no-one seems to be upset when the expletives are aimed in his direction.
2) Apparently Tom splits his job between us and Gillingham. Perhaps that's a reason why things haven't progressed more quickly (note - this was on here the other day in another thread and I haven't fact checked it, but it would explain some things).
3) I mean this in the most sincere and non patronising way - really - and it is not aimed at anyone in particular, but in general terms. But if you are a person who has never owned a property, raised a child, run a business or maybe even had a full time job, with the greatest possible respect to you and your opinions (which of course you are entitled to), you do not have a clue how the world actually works and also do not know how you would behave when you are in in that world. You've not achieved anything yet, so don't start moralising about people's actions and behaviours who are in that position. That's not a criticism or an attack, but just an observation. The world is not as ideological as we believe when we were all students, in our mid 20's and/or living at home.
4) This issue of blackmailing the fans... Really? Does anyone think that Ron has seriously taken 25 years and spent £20m in keeping the club afloat to try and negotiate himself into a position where he has the club over a barrel? Really? That's one hell of a long game. It might be where we are at, but he hasn't engineered this. I'm sure he would have rather had the stadium built 15 years ago and have saved himself about £15m!
5) Putting money into the club to keep the club afloat because he loves the club is not the same as giving the club the money and never wanting it back. For instance - the plumber who was on the call (sorry, can't remember the name) was offering £25m from his hypothetical Euro millions win (good luck by the way). Let's just say - and humour me please - that Ron said yes to £40m (sidenote - when Ron refused £40m on the call I'd probably have come back with a counter of £50m, £75m or any amount that would make him consider it. Everyone has a price. Anyway...). So, someone has won the Euro millions and bought Ron out with £40m. Is that a gift, never to be seen again? Or would they want a return? If it's a gift, what happens when the money runs out (because at some point it will - football clubs generally aren't profitable). Do you put more money in? Do you want it back? Bearing this in mind, can someone state one single reason why Ron shouldn't have his investment back?

I get that emotions are running high and that RM is public enemy no 1. But we are where we are and unless people start dealing with Ron differently he is just going to shut down and not give any information out. Remember when he did that and everyone was up in arms? "All we want is information?" "Tell us what's going on Ron"

Then after said information is received,.. "He's lying", "Can't believe a word he says", "More Bull**** from Ron."

Presumably this is because the information didn't fit the popular narrative. Why therefore should he say anything at all?

So - be careful what you wish for. If he goes and we have to start again as a phoenix club, then I have probably seen my last EFL game that Southend will play in my lifetime. I'm now 60.

Moving forward, I want to hear Ron take ownership of the fact that the clubs finances have been underfunded for the last 2-3 years, apologise for this to the very, VERY loyal fanbase that this club frankly doesn't deserve if performances were the only measure to take into account, that he will take steps to ensure that will NEVER happen again and will move heaven and earth to get us back into the EFL. That's what I want to hear from him.

To make progress off the pitch, is there anything we can do to accelerate the stadium? Can we lobby/pressurise the council? Can we work with Ron rather than against him?

Perhaps someone on the next Zoom call can ask that.
Absolutely spot on!
I also 100% agree with Ron when he said fans wouldn’t be calling for his head if we were top of the league. Performances are bad but Arnold, Murphy, Dalby etc have all been our best players this season - PLAYERS HE SUPPORTED US WITH TO BUY AS AN INVESTMENT!
Fans are directing their anger in the wrong direction as what more can Ron do when he has supported pretty much every manager we have had.

1) Let's stop the fake offence at the expletive, he used it to emphasise a point (for instance, he didn't say "I love the club you ****ing idiot", which is a personal attack). Everyone's a grown up and no-one seems to be upset when the expletives are aimed in his direction.
2) Apparently Tom splits his job between us and Gillingham. Perhaps that's a reason why things haven't progressed more quickly (note - this was on here the other day in another thread and I haven't fact checked it, but it would explain some things).
3) I mean this in the most sincere and non patronising way - really - and it is not aimed at anyone in particular, but in general terms. But if you are a person who has never owned a property, raised a child, run a business or maybe even had a full time job, with the greatest possible respect to you and your opinions (which of course you are entitled to), you do not have a clue how the world actually works and also do not know how you would behave when you are in in that world. You've not achieved anything yet, so don't start moralising about people's actions and behaviours who are in that position. That's not a criticism or an attack, but just an observation. The world is not as ideological as we believe when we were all students, in our mid 20's and/or living at home.
4) This issue of blackmailing the fans... Really? Does anyone think that Ron has seriously taken 25 years and spent £20m in keeping the club afloat to try and negotiate himself into a position where he has the club over a barrel? Really? That's one hell of a long game. It might be where we are at, but he hasn't engineered this. I'm sure he would have rather had the stadium built 15 years ago and have saved himself about £15m!
5) Putting money into the club to keep the club afloat because he loves the club is not the same as giving the club the money and never wanting it back. For instance - the plumber who was on the call (sorry, can't remember the name) was offering £25m from his hypothetical Euro millions win (good luck by the way). Let's just say - and humour me please - that Ron said yes to £40m (sidenote - when Ron refused £40m on the call I'd probably have come back with a counter of £50m, £75m or any amount that would make him consider it. Everyone has a price. Anyway...). So, someone has won the Euro millions and bought Ron out with £40m. Is that a gift, never to be seen again? Or would they want a return? If it's a gift, what happens when the money runs out (because at some point it will - football clubs generally aren't profitable). Do you put more money in? Do you want it back? Bearing this in mind, can someone state one single reason why Ron shouldn't have his investment back?

I get that emotions are running high and that RM is public enemy no 1. But we are where we are and unless people start dealing with Ron differently he is just going to shut down and not give any information out. Remember when he did that and everyone was up in arms? "All we want is information?" "Tell us what's going on Ron"

Then after said information is received,.. "He's lying", "Can't believe a word he says", "More Bull**** from Ron."

Presumably this is because the information didn't fit the popular narrative. Why therefore should he say anything at all?

So - be careful what you wish for. If he goes and we have to start again as a phoenix club, then I have probably seen my last EFL game that Southend will play in my lifetime. I'm now 60.

Moving forward, I want to hear Ron take ownership of the fact that the clubs finances have been underfunded for the last 2-3 years, apologise for this to the very, VERY loyal fanbase that this club frankly doesn't deserve if performances were the only measure to take into account, that he will take steps to ensure that will NEVER happen again and will move heaven and earth to get us back into the EFL. That's what I want to hear from him.

To make progress off the pitch, is there anything we can do to accelerate the stadium? Can we lobby/pressurise the council? Can we work with Ron rather than against him?

Amen to that sir!

No Southend united means no covenant. RH will have houses on quicker than if he had to build a stadium.

We all have our beef with Ron. To different levels of course but the so called fans who want to see him fail at all costs would actually make him more money.

In personally would rather see the stadium more central. The Queensway site would be perfect. Sadly we are to far down the road, which means FF or bust.

They road started when a mob of 2 generations ago demanded 'Rubins Out'.....They guaranteed things could only get better.
What Queensway site?

Points well made, we (hopefully) all want the same thing, Southend to stop the rot and to start making their way back up the league table. Hostile environment will not help this cause. Ron Martin can be accused of many things, but ultimately his goal for the team is the same as ours.

I don't know if they are, or have been, asked but one wonders if other Board members/Directors or larger shareholders are invited to attend these Zoom meetings ? Be interesting to get their take on things.....
I think the other board members have about as much impact on proceedings as sammy the shrimp.

I think the other board members have about as much impact on proceedings as sammy the shrimp.

More than likely - just be interesting to get another perspective, unless of course they'd feel gagged somewhat by RM's position....

Superb. Aligns with a lot of what I’ve been saying this week. Maybe be good for the usually zoom group to draw a line under last weeks call. All the same usual questions were asked and Kerry/Paul said they were going to minute this call so we have answers on paper. No point asking all the same questions next week - I’ve said going forward perhaps should just be Tom on the call.

anyways, draw a line under it and start focussing on what’s being done towards improving our league position right now - questions need to be asked about our scouting, training, where first team coach is, what RD is doing etc.

And secondly perhaps be prepared to change our tact and ask Ron what we can all do as fans to now come together and support him and the efforts to get this stadium done and dusted. Surely the people against Ron must see the quickest way to get rid of him is to get the stadium done. as must as they may hate it, supporting Ron and putting the “Martin out” efforts into more productive places may get them the result they long for.

Superb. Aligns with a lot of what I’ve been saying this week. Maybe be good for the usually zoom group to draw a line under last weeks call. All the same usual questions were asked and Kerry/Paul said they were going to minute this call so we have answers on paper. No point asking all the same questions next week - I’ve said going forward perhaps should just be Tom on the call.

anyways, draw a line under it and start focussing on what’s being done towards improving our league position right now - questions need to be asked about our scouting, training, where first team coach is, what RD is doing etc.

And secondly perhaps be prepared to change our tact and ask Ron what we can all do as fans to now come together and support him and the efforts to get this stadium done and dusted. Surely the people against Ron must see the quickest way to get rid of him is to get the stadium done. as must as they may hate it, supporting Ron and putting the “Martin out” efforts into more productive places may get them the result they long for.
Great post. Sums up my feelings too.

Well said. Until the Ron out fans come up with some helpful solutions rather than pointless protests there is no point doing these with Ron anymore. He has turned up even when most thought he wouldn’t and was open and honest with things and showed empathy towards the situation and even that he clearly cares about the club!

I think we need to mix the zooms up. Mixture of new people each week so we can get a wider range of views and perhaps find someone who can really challenge Ron when needed. I would like to see more 20-40 year olds on it as these are going to be the ones who are the future of the club and will be having the next generation of fans for the club too and also could encourage other friends etc to come to games.

I see lot of moaning regards to the questions which are aimed in Ron direction. Why don't you put yourself forward with your questions...... that way you will get the answers you want.
Or why not let different people go on the zoom to have a different approach?

Well said. Until the Ron out fans come up with some helpful solutions rather than pointless protests there is no point doing these with Ron anymore. He has turned up even when most thought he wouldn’t and was open and honest with things and showed empathy towards the situation and even that he clearly cares about the club!

I think we need to mix the zooms up. Mixture of new people each week so we can get a wider range of views and perhaps find someone who can really challenge Ron when needed. I would like to see more 20-40 year olds on it as these are going to be the ones who are the future of the club and will be having the next generation of fans for the club too and also could encourage other friends etc to come to games.
But of diversity wouldn’t hurt - was very much “Middle Aged white man” central.

Nice quoted glossy 1.4million wage budget for this season, ably ******* away by Brown.
Doesn't compare to being in League 1 and League Two and being on a transfer embargo does it Martin ? You weren't looking quite the saviour then was you ? Confirming BOTH relegations by having your manager's hands tied.
And then think you can gloss over all that by quoting 1.4 million and zipping your distractors on a public Zoom call ?
Pound shop chairman who cannot afford a football club and has staked everything in a rebuild. I hope you are forced out, time will tell.
Stan will tell you, the fans have all the cards and it's up to us.

But of diversity wouldn’t hurt - was very much “Middle Aged white man” central.
Not at all. I think both Edan (Custard Splat) and Dan (TBV) would object to that, and Mike (disabled supporters representative) as well (of these, only Edan was available for this call).

You are seeing the Chairman and usually one other from the Trust, the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of SOS, representatives from ShrimperZone, Blues on Tour, All at Sea, the Exiles, TBV, Custard Splat (whatever that is!) and disabled supporters. They are representing the support which I would suggest is still pretty much middle aged white man based. What do you propose, putting people on according to ethnicity?

Last edited:
I thought the balance on there was pretty good, in truth and most spoke well.

I think the angle of questioning needs to be fine tuned and maybe a more open discussion rather than an accusatory one will help in future.

Just some random thoughts.

Back