• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Surprisingly good sporting events

Pubey

What have you seen where you were surprised just how good it is?

NBA - It was at Madison Square Garden and the Knicks won (pretty rare) so it was something special. Yes it's end to end baskets but the show, fast pace and athleticism make it great to watch

NFL - Sorry MK but live NFL is flipping great.

Rugby League - Thought it was going to be a bit dull like Union sometimes is, but fast, huge hits and great running. Plus the crowd are normally (1. Northern. 2. ****ed) - which adds to the occasion

TdF - Thought it'd be dull waiting for ages for some lycra-guys to speed past on their bikes, but it was great fun. Everyone got into the spirit of it (in Yorkshire) and I'd really like to watch a stage in France at some point.

Have enjoyed all of those that Pubey lists.

Would add Greco-Roman wrestling to the mix. Went at the London Olympics and there was a great atmosphere (we were sat near some bat**** mental Japanese fans). While not easy to understand at first, we really got in to it by the end of the afternoon.

US sports are a lot like football in the sense that they lose a bit of edge when they're televised. You only really comprehend how fast-paced basketball is when you watch in the flesh for instance, and I'd imagine the suspense of a tight NFL fixture - particularly the closer to the SuperBowl you get in the post-season - builds far more in the stadium than it does at 2am in my pitch-black lounge with the volume set to a maximum of 8 so I'm not waking anyone else up.

Also taken a bit of a liking to rowing, something that never really interested me before. I lived with a rower during the Olympics and he dragged me to one of the meets, and you are in awe of just how commanding some of the crews are.

I loved Kabaddi when it was on c4 back in the day....

That reminds me, I watch some Sepak takraw on Eurosport a few weeks ago which is completely mental.

[video=youtube;TsCWr1L0z7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCWr1L0z7g[/video]

When I was on holiday last month, me and the girlfriend were in the all inclusive bar getting hammered and the TV was showing the world lumberjack championships, it was quite entertaining! Possibly not so entertaining when sober?

When I was on holiday last month, me and the girlfriend were in the all inclusive bar getting hammered and the TV was showing the world lumberjack championships, it was quite entertaining! Possibly not so entertaining when sober?

Ski jumping is quite a good sport to watch on telly when ****ed. Very soothing.

TV wrestling is a show, its orchestrated and choreographed. Its not a sport.

Real wrestling is different, but not as watchable.

I was really impressed with the NFL. The games were good but the overall experience was superb, they know how to put a game on with lots going on throughout the day before you even go into the stadium. Even during the game being able to wander around and grab drinks and food so much better than watching soccer. Different type of game allows it with the stop/starts but there is a different mentality there too.

That reminds me, I watch some Sepak takraw on Eurosport a few weeks ago which is completely mental.

[video=youtube;TsCWr1L0z7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsCWr1L0z7g[/video]

I haven't ever seen it on TV over here but often see a group of lads from the local car wash practicing in the car park every evening. I thought they were just playing headers and volleys to begin with until they started throwing in the bicycle kicks as well.

Volleyball is big over here as well. I remember being miffed one night as I sat down at a bar expecting the evenings Premiership action to find the locals were already glued to a volleyball match between Thailand and Japan ladies. I ended up getting quite into it myself and when they finally switched back over to Stoke vs Fulham my excitement levels didn't hit those dizzy heights.

Back