• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SWF male pupil dies after PE lesson

Bloody hell, real tragedy - guess it must be another undiscovered heart defeact or such like. Hard day for staff and students there today.

Probably, just saying on the local news today, police aren't treating it as suspicious. At William de Ferrers incidentally.

According to one of the guys I work with, whose son is in the same school year as him, he did have a heart defect and the school knew about it and it happened doing the bleep test in PE.

According to one of the guys I work with, whose son is in the same school year as him, he did have a heart defect and the school knew about it and it happened doing the bleep test in PE.
I doubt that but if it's true they're in trouble as it's illegal now...

I doubt that but if it's true they're in trouble as it's illegal now...

Its illegal? Really?

Not saying I know this is what has happened, but my mate at work has a boy at the same school, same year group.

Its illegal? Really?

Not saying I know this is what has happened, but my mate at work has a boy at the same school, same year group.
Yeah, we do fitness circuits in PE and I asked our teacher if we would be doing the bleep test and he said it's illegal to do it in schools now, that was about January this year.

Yeah, we do fitness circuits in PE and I asked our teacher if we would be doing the bleep test and he said it's illegal to do it in schools now, that was about January this year.

Firstly, i send my sincerest condolences to Jay's parents and family as well as all of his school friends of which my friends son is one and he has been with him all through his school life and is in bits himself . My heart also goes out to the PE teacher who must be going through absolute hell now, i know how bad i felt after one of my footballers broke her leg in 3 places after just falling over so to have a child pass away on you must be a million times worse.

As an aside as far as i am aware the Bleep test is not banned in schools, the primary school that i work in does it once a year for all of our year groups. There are strict guidlines that go with it but not banned as far as i know.

We got a press statement emailed through at school. He got changed for badminton and whatever happened happened before the lesson. Pretty sure I've remembered this correctly but can post tomorrow in full if need be but sure facts may be clearer then.

I do wish there was better screening at a younger age, it would prevent this kind of sad accident from happening. Now they've got rid of most of the childhood checks, I reckon there's a lot gets missed. Personally, I think children should have a thorough checkup/screening as they move through KS2 into KS3.

I do wish there was better screening at a younger age, it would prevent this kind of sad accident from happening. Now they've got rid of most of the childhood checks, I reckon there's a lot gets missed. Personally, I think children should have a thorough checkup/screening as they move through KS2 into KS3.

no it wouldn't. Plenty of people have heart defects that are never noticed, and many wouldn't be picked up in a 24hr ECG. This is a tragic accident, but it's likely screening would have a negligable impact

Joe Strummer died at 50 from a hole in the heart he never knew he had. Terrible tragedy for this kid and his family.

no it wouldn't. Plenty of people have heart defects that are never noticed, and many wouldn't be picked up in a 24hr ECG. This is a tragic accident, but it's likely screening would have a negligable impact

I'm a bit mystified by the "whatever happened happened before" quote, I still think that because of the state of the nation's health and the reduction in school nurse services, we should have better checks for ALL at a younger age. Whether that would detect "abnormalities" or not is irrelevant, it WOULD safeguard some who might otherwise be at risk from things other than heart issues.

Am currently in the Sixth form at Willie de, and the kid had a heart defect, which during warm up in a PE lesson around 10ish, caused him to collapse, the teacher, who is new to the school and had a problem with a kid having a fit in the pool during his first week, etc, there are hundreds of flowers lining the edge of the Sports hall today.
Hope that clears any rumours up, seeing as there's been plenty of BS about the child running into a wall. :dizzy:
That teacher unsuprisingly wasn't in today, poor sod.
This is along with 2 deaths of people who drowned in the river Crouch in different cases this week.

Last edited:

Kay,
In this case his heart condition was well known to family, friends and the school. There were lots of times where Jay had to sit out events/parties etc. because they would have over-exerted him but he happily sat them out and joined in when he could. I am unaware of what he was doing at the time of the incident so wouldnt like to comment without knowing the facts, all i know that is there are several hundred children and staff at Woolie D that are in shock today because of what has happened.

Back