• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SZ Album of the Year 2008

Album of the Year for 2008?

• TV On The Radio - Dear Science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

• Long Blondes - Couples

• People Under The Stairs - Fun DMC

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From the options, it was a toss up between Kings of Leon and British Sea Power, I went for the Brighton based lads. Though Elbow and TV on the Radio are worth a listen.

Not on the list, but far superior is Ameritown by a band called Eastern Conference Champions who are well worth a listen.

Never heard of half of them - TBH most of these new indie groups sound like old indie groups - just not as good. The ones I've listened to are ok, nothing special and Adele is yet another bandwagonesque torch singer like Duffy, Winehouse, etc etc etc.

Has to be Elbow, but only for stonking single "On A Day Like This...."

Oasis people? Really? Much as I love(d) the band, it's not exactly going to be a record that's remembered in years to come, is it?

Well worth checking out some of these others. Elbow and KOLeon are both very good, Neon Neon are superbly 80s pop and Cut Copy made what sounds like a Brian Wilson electronica record. The new Portishead album was really very good too, if a little too much like early New Order to be considered pioneering...

This poll needs to be reset as the later added one's don't stand a chance.

Kings of Leon. A fantastic album.

Oasis? I thought that new one was terrible to be honest. I don't know why I keep downloading their new stuff.

Belatedly I'd like to vote for Coldplay's Vida La Vida because on the 30th December it possibly the best album I've heard all year and I went off them big time for ages!

Actually the best album i've heard this year although doesn't really fit into this category as its a reissue is Dennis Wilson's - Pacific Ocean Blue. An absolutely amazing album and in some ways haunting, ****es over Brian Wilson's Smile if you need a comparison.

My album of the year was definitely Santogold:-

4086213m.jpg

'Lights out' being my favourite single as well. Elbow finally getting the credit they deserve was a joy to see so i voted for them.

Also very special mentions to MGMT, Fleet Foxes, Vampire weekend and MIA. This has been a mighty fine year for music.

Also Ulysses shout on Dennis Wilson. I hadnt heard much of his stuff until I heard a BBC2 documentary on him, it really is a great album.

Last edited:
Has to be Glasvegas for me. Class album, and a total breath of fresh air. One of, if not the best breakthrough bands of the year.

If you haven't got this album, go get it. You wont be dissapointed.

***** (5 star rating from me).

Do they get a prize? I've got this flag I found yesterday that we could send them...... :whistling:

Do they get a prize? I've got this flag I found yesterday that we could send them...... :whistling:

I've just come off the phone with their agent.

They will be coming to the Crewe game this Saturday and will be presented with a cheque for £25,000 and a signed pair of Cricko's pants at a glittering ceremony in the back garden of The Spread Eagle

I've just come off the phone with their agent.

They will be coming to the Crewe game this Saturday and will be presented with a cheque for £25,000 and a signed pair of Cricko's pants at a glittering ceremony in the back garden of The Spread Eagle

I usually go "Commando" on Saturdays....:unsure:

Back