• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

is Mark Gower one of the greatest 12 or so figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't imagine many or any of the 'no' votes will have been an easy decision. Certainly not for me.

But YB has (rightly) set a very high bar here. As others say, if Paul Clark isn't in, others are going to have to do really well!

I loved Clarky , he was at the very start of my time watching Southend and yes for me a Southend legend purely for his desire and what he did for the club, but I've been hard and decided I need ability as well and not just a feel good emotional link with the player, hence why for me, Barrett is a no as well.

But , no arguments , love these type of differences of opinion on this forum, it's what makes it is.

Well from a personal point of view , i wouldnt have voted in Gill or Best and i always thought Prior was a poor mans Andy Edwards. So for me Gower + Maher + Barrett + Paul Clark would feature instead.

These things evolve so maybe players could be taken out of the 12 as new ones appear.... Who knows, in 5 years time we may be adulating how England Internationals Dan Bentley , Dru Yearwood + Elvis Bwomono must be included :winking:

If Clarky isn't deemed to be a legend then Gower surely isn't. Despite being a great player and certainly one of our top 10 of this century

I'd say definitely as this century is only 17 years old and by god we have had some drivel playing for us in those 17 years

Gower was the best player in that team and the best winger in my years supporting the club.

Gower was the best player in that team and the best winger in my years supporting the club.

Better than Fred? Also doesn't the HoF have to transcend just technical ability, it's about a contribution to teams that's more than just additive.

I think Maher and Barrett are more deserving even if Gower was technically better and proved himself at a higher level. Maybe they're both at an advantage due to being former captains.

Just an idea, is it at all possible to create a sub forum in Chit Chat that is specifically for the Hall of Fame to enable everyone - particularly as there's many newer Zone members - to see the all previous voting threads?

Tricky, but its a no from me, he could be on a bad day a very lazy player.

This is what makes me veer towards no. In my time (1990 to date) he'd be in the top 12, but all time? Probably not. I'd probably pick Barrett over Gower from that era, considering Eastwood and Prior are already in.

Tricky, but its a no from me, he could be on a bad day a very lazy player.
Didn’t it come to light a couple of years ago that he was actually having some kind of injections to get him through games and he had to limit the running he did during a game? He wasn’t lazy, he was playing in pain

Didn’t it come to light a couple of years ago that he was actually having some kind of injections to get him through games and he had to limit the running he did during a game? He wasn’t lazy, he was playing in pain
Fair enough, i didnt know that. A great player on his day, in a great team, but his day didnt for me come often enough.

So tough. In my 30 odd years I believe Gower is one of the most technically gifted players to wear the shirt. But the absence of Paul Clark still has me bitter and twisted...so no for me

Been following the blues since 1991 and i can;t think of many technically better players than Gower , 2 great feet, precision crossing ,intelligent footballer and used to turn defenders inside out and i think pace was the only thing letting him down from being a top top player.

Seemed like a nice chap also and deserved his chance at playing in the Prem and i don;t think he disgraced himself at all , there can;t be many players to drop into the Conference and then make it into the Premiership within 6/7 years.

Personally, I think the argument of X didn't make so I'm not putting Y in, is the wrong way to look at it. You need to look at the player objectively and decide whether you think they should be in, not, well the others didn't vote a fav of mine in, therefore I 'm prejudicing this decision with a previous vote.

Looking at Gower as an isolated decision, I absolutely would put him in, his ability and achievements for the club are first class for our level of side. He played in and contributed heavily to arguably our most successful side. It's a yes from me.

Personally, I think the argument of X didn't make so I'm not putting Y in, is the wrong way to look at it. You need to look at the player objectively and decide whether you think they should be in, not, well the others didn't vote a fav of mine in, therefore I 'm prejudicing this decision with a previous vote.

Looking at Gower as an isolated decision, I absolutely would put him in, his ability and achievements for the club are first class for our level of side. He played in and contributed heavily to arguably our most successful side. It's a yes from me.

This ^

Have just been thinking the same thing. The whole if Clarky isn't in I won't put Gower doesn't really make sense. Its then a popularity choice not based at all on ability surely. Each player must be taken in isolation. People that don't rate Gower , fair enough, but to say no, purely because another player wasn't included doesn't really reflect a fair balance in my view.

Back