• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tackles That Have Changed A Match?

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
Which one stands out for you?

Mine has to be Jamal Campbell-Ryce clattering Christiano Ronaldo in the League Cup when Manchester United came to grief at the Hall.

Christiano had been doing those little tricks for the opening few minutes but this time Jamal wasn't buying it. To mine and Chipper's great delight, right in front of us on the West Stand side, Campbell-Ryce went right through Ronaldo, leaving him in a heap on the pitch.

A huge roar went up, and you could see it on both sets of players faces, the thought "Oh, f***, this is serious!", which transmitted itself to the crowd. It then seemed to snowball from there.

One small tackle, one unforgettable night.

The challenge on Derek Bellotti, which broke his colarbone in the Home game against Cambridge 1972 With only one sub in those days we went from dominating to hanging on for a draw with Spud and bill Garner taking stints in between the sticks, without our first choice keeper in the run in we missed out on the 4th Division Championship

Which one stands out for you?

Mine has to be Jamal Campbell-Ryce clattering Christiano Ronaldo in the League Cup when Manchester United came to grief at the Hall.

Christiano had been doing those little tricks for the opening few minutes but this time Jamal wasn't buying it. To mine and Chipper's great delight, right in front of us on the West Stand side, Campbell-Ryce went right through Ronaldo, leaving him in a heap on the pitch.

A huge roar went up, and you could see it on both sets of players faces, the thought "Oh, f***, this is serious!", which transmitted itself to the crowd. It then seemed to snowball from there.

One small tackle, one unforgettable night.

The one I always remember was from the same match - Hooper going shoulder to shoulder with Rooney and coming out on top very early on in the game - I think this prompted the 'you're just a fat Fredy Eastwood' chant!

'Oh what a night...'

Spinner's maul of Rooney early doors in the same game was rather special, particularly as the ref couldn't see anything wrong with it :). But - and I think no less an authority than Rusty might agree with me here - Efe's head-to-head on 'Mr. Potato Head' in the second half almost guaranteed that that night was going to be our night :clap: ... the only 100% record v ESB's other team; gotta be good, ain't it? ;)

The tackle I remember the most (though it didn't change the match result (as we won 3-0) was Graham Taylor's for Lincoln on Johnny Mckinven at the Hall in 68/9.
Johnny Mac never played for the club again.I can still hear the crack now.

The tackle I remember the most (though it didn't change the match result (as we won 3-0) was Graham Taylor's for Lincoln on Johnny Mckinven at the Hall in 68/9.
Johnny Mac never played for the club again.I can still hear the crack now.

That was a shocker and i've loathed Taylor with a passion ever since, i think McKinven did play again for the club, but was never the same.

The one I remember was the cup game at Derby, we were 3-0 down and clawed our way back to 3-2, when Colin Morris broke through only to be blatantly kicked up in the air by that ****ing Scots **** Bruce Rioch.

Last edited:
Adam Locke vs Peterboro. Poofter midfielder turned makeshift hardman right back with a beard in the space of one summer. Don't remember the player but Locke took him out at the knees and unless i'm mistaken; spat on him.

That was a shocker and i've loathed Taylor with a passion ever since, i think McKinven did play again for the club, but was never the same.

A couple of starts and a similar number of substitute appearances, but, as you say, a shadow of his former self. One of the very few lowlights of the 68-9 season.

The one I remember was the cup game at Derby, we were 3-0 down and clawed our way back to 3-2, when Colin Morris broke through only to be blatantly kicked up in the air by that ****ing Scots **** Bruce Rioch.

I have hated that **** ever since that day.

I would not say my tackle has changed a match but it has got in the box a few times.

:stunned:

Sankofa's against Drogba at Chelsea, early in the first half. Perfectly timed, and saved an almost certain goal that could of opened the floodgates.

Not as important as some already mentioned but, Damien Scannell at home to Leeds I seem to remember. We were 1-0 up and he chased back and made an inch perfect tackle.

However you could also mention his straight red away to Millwall, 2 minutes into coming on.

Daniel Jones on Jamal Campbell-Ryce in the 26th minute of a certain Carling Cup match in 2006.

Back