• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Does it make a difference

• Total voters

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Thanks to all who helped give out the balloons/streamers etc yesterday and I think if we had started the game better the atmosphere would of generated more-so than perhaps it did..The question I am asking here is simple.

Does it help that we give out these items to the crowd and kids especially, or do you think it makes no difference?

Days like these cost about £500 to put together (and of course we rely on mostly donations for this) so we would like honest opinions on this.

Comments on where we are right/wrong or how we can improve things are of course welcome to.

Thought the balloons were fantastic. Looked great from my view point in the west of them bouncing around in the west. Thought the other two stands were a bit poorer, but some joined in which was nice to see.

I think it does make a difference and well done to all those that handed out the goodies.

Honestly, John, I was disappointed not to see more of the cannons and streamers spread around the ground. Thought the balloons were great, especially having them in two colours and I certainly think this would be worth doing a few games each season, to coincide with a promotional from the Club.

Honestly, John, I was disappointed not to see more of the cannons and streamers spread around the ground. Thought the balloons were great, especially having them in two colours and I certainly think this would be worth doing a few games each season, to coincide with a promotional from the Club.

There were no cannons TB let us down with those. We had people on all gates giving out freebies.I spent an hour before the game walking pitch-side..making sure those that bypassed the give away's had some...well so I thought.

I would however like comments from those who have voted ""it makes no difference" to at least say why?

I thought the branding on the balloons was outstanding. :smile: Good to see Roxy working hard in the East Blacks/Green while plugged into the lager barrel.

A great effort by all involved and worth doing again in the future. There was also a good few flags in evidence so people did heed the request to bring them along. Another point is that many people think that kick off time is negotiable and won't take their seats until after kick off, added to this and looking at the NW corner yesterday there were still many flooding in after the game had started.

Sometimes it may seem a waste of time to those that do the work, but I think it's worth sticking with. Again well done to all who volunteered yesterday. :clap:

There were no cannons TB let us down with those. We had people on all gates giving out freebies.I spent an hour before the game walking pitch-side..making sure those that bypassed the give away's had some...well so I thought.
Which TB?

I know my sister worked her socks off and had practically no voice when she returned to her seat. No criticism of the people that did their bit at all, and it was great seeing the balloons bouncing around the pitch, and the kids enjoying it.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if we ran out of stuff but Kev said when he came in at about 20 to he didn't see anyone giving out stuff at the back of the west.

When I got there at 2.50, there was no one giving out anything in the west. Also saw a few balloons on the floor which weren't blown up and people just walked over them.

It was good to see the little 'uns having a great time with them and all the support with the streamers etc. It was also good that the 'vintage' flags were being waved as well.

Which TB?

I know my sister worked her socks off and had practically no voice when she returned to her seat. No criticism of the people that did their bit at all, and it was great seeing the balloons bouncing around the pitch, and the kids enjoying it.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if we ran out of stuff but Kev said when he came in at about 20 to he didn't see anyone giving out stuff at the back of the west.

Lisa was fantastic..it was for sure hard to cater for all and yes we did run out of bits to give away at about 2.45 ish.

Not answering my question eh?

What I will criticise is the short sightedness of the club in not organising extra food/drink outlets within the ground the cater for the extra people in attendance. Very, very poor. Also, just a comment on 'elf and safety.....once the queues were building up along the back, then people should have been moved on from standing at the back watching the game. There was a line of people watching and a line of people queuing and it made passage along there quite difficult. Saw a bloke with his missus in a wheelchair trying to get along there and it was incredibly difficult. Oh, and the loos in the ladies blocked!

Compare and contrast with Dagenham's facilities last week and it's really quite laughable.

What I will criticise is the short sightedness of the club in not organising extra food/drink outlets within the ground the cater for the extra people in attendance. Very, very poor. Also, just a comment on 'elf and safety.....once the queues were building up along the back, then people should have been moved on from standing at the back watching the game. There was a line of people watching and a line of people queuing and it made passage along there quite difficult. Saw a bloke with his missus in a wheelchair trying to get along there and it was incredibly difficult. Oh, and the loos in the ladies blocked!

Compare and contrast with Dagenham's facilities last week and it's really quite laughable.

I do apologise for standing at the back, Kay :winking:

You are spot on about that..the lack of foresight in the beer/catering dept was a fiasco of dynamic proportions...it is not as if they did not not know in advance how many would be there.

When I got there at 2.50, there was no one giving out anything in the west. Also saw a few balloons on the floor which weren't blown up and people just walked over them.

It was good to see the little 'uns having a great time with them and all the support with the streamers etc. It was also good that the 'vintage' flags were being waved as well.

I was one of those giving out the freebies at the West turnstiles, we started with four of us giving them out at about 2:10 and we run out of balloons about 2:45 and myself and Milky carried on with giving the whistles to just the kids, we ran out of those at 2:55. Oh, by the way, we were keen to help giving them out but you had to blown them up yourself! I might be full of hot air but I ain't blowing that lot up!!!!!:smiles:

Strangely it was actually hard work persuading some people to take some of the freebies, almost had to 'sell' it to them; some people were really suspicious about the fact I was trying to give them something for nothing! I think there's some old saying about it being difficult to give tenners away for free, understand what they mean now!

Overall it was well received and I think added to the day, was also good to see so many youngsters coming through the gate with their parents obviously for their first game, let's hope they got the bug.

Someone mentioned about people taking their seats late, when I left the back of the West turnstiles at 2:55 there were still some quite lengthy queues to get in.....

Didn't experience the catering for myself but heard quite a few mentioning it, someone mentioned the balti? burgers were sold out 15 minutes before half time and someone else said it took them half an hour to get a beer. If so, and I have no reason to doubt, then the club/caterers missed a trick - as Cricko says the size of the crowd didn't exactly come as a surprise....... :dunce:

I was one of those giving out the freebies at the West turnstiles, we started with four of us giving them out at about 2:10 and we run out of balloons about 2:45 and myself and Milky carried on with giving the whistles to just the kids, we ran out of those at 2:55. Oh, by the way, we were keen to help giving them out but you had to blown them up yourself! I might be full of hot air but I ain't blowing that lot up!!!!!:smiles:

Strangely it was actually hard work persuading some people to take some of the freebies, almost had to 'sell' it to them; some people were really suspicious about the fact I was trying to give them something for nothing! I think there's some old saying about it being difficult to give tenners away for free, understand what they mean now!

Overall it was well received and I think added to the day, was also good to see so many youngsters coming through the gate with their parents obviously for their first game, let's hope they got the bug.

Someone mentioned about people taking their seats late, when I left the back of the West turnstiles at 2:55 there were still some quite lengthy queues to get in.....

Didn't experience the catering for myself but heard quite a few mentioning it, someone mentioned the balti? burgers were sold out 15 minutes before half time and someone else said it took them half an hour to get a beer. If so, and I have no reason to doubt, then the club/caterers missed a trick - as Cricko says the size of the crowd didn't exactly come as a surprise....... :dunce:

Agree with Cockle43 on this, 50% of people very wary that we were trying to 'sell' them something initially, but once they realised that the balloons and streamers were actually free were happy to join in.
Same here ran out by 2.45ish but a fair number distributed ably assited by Bluebeard & Pocahontas Shrimpers - thank you:clap:
Children were really appreciative and yes I think it was a success, people were joining in and the East Blacks/Greens were livelier than they have been in a long time.:thumbsup:

It was my 5 year old daughters first game yesterday. I came prepared with a colouring book in case she didn't 'get it'. I couldn't have been more wrong. She loved the balloons, the chanting, the clapping, the halftime entertainment and the excitement of it all. Said she wants to go to every game from now on, although when I asked her what her favourite bit was she replied 'my sweets'. Oh well.......
A big thanks to all who put themselves out to make the young 1st timers have a day to remember!

My kids were handing out the freebies around the family section (Sth lower) & yes many kids seemed to shun or say no thanks, so I stood behind my able helpers & offered balloons etc to their parents whom thought it was a great idea. Lots of newbies in the family section but the kids mainly went for the balloons & they were all asked to blow up the balloons.

Given the amount of people filling the ground, some wouldn't blow up their balloons or blow into their kiddy trumpets. some of the youth seemed to want to burst the balloons, it takes allsorts lol! However the majority had fun; I watched several kids (under 5's) play with their balloons & thus their parents were happy too etc...

How anyone can vote it was a waste of money or it made no difference is beyond me, more fool them I guess eh.......

Like to take a moment to thank everyone involved, especially my clan whom gave up some time in their morning clubs so we could get to Roots Hall early enough - thank you

Back