• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The thing is we'll need to bring in a new 'keeper when DB leaves anyway. We're unlikely to get anyone younger than Ted, so we're really looking at a relatively experienced 'keeper. I think PB has to say to whoever comes in that the first choice will be decided on form and ability. That way whoever comes in doesn't think he's come here to sit on the bench, and Ted doesn't think he's nailed on for the shirt.

Get someone in, and let them fight it out.

Would be a difficult one because for past two seasons PB has had his no.1 - Bentley - plus a very promising no.2 - Smith - who has also benefited this season from U-21 games. Meant both had been playing games regularly (albeit at different levels). Next season, Bexon will be U-21 goalkeeper so if PB does bring in another goalkeeper to challenge Ted for first team slot, the loser will just be sitting on bench playing no games at all (at any level!). Would be interested to see what sort of gk would come to us with that challenge - especially if, long-term, Ted is considered our no.1. I still feel that, if Paul Smith is still physically fit enough, between him and Bexon, we should have cover for the odd game if Ted gets slight knock. Obviously, if ted suffered a serious injury, I would then expect PB to bring in an experienced gk

Would be a difficult one because for past two seasons PB has had his no.1 - Bentley - plus a very promising no.2 - Smith - who has also benefited this season from U-21 games. Meant both had been playing games regularly (albeit at different levels). Next season, Bexon will be U-21 goalkeeper so if PB does bring in another goalkeeper to challenge Ted for first team slot, the loser will just be sitting on bench playing no games at all (at any level!). Would be interested to see what sort of gk would come to us with that challenge - especially if, long-term, Ted is considered our no.1. I still feel that, if Paul Smith is still physically fit enough, between him and Bexon, we should have cover for the odd game if Ted gets slight knock. Obviously, if ted suffered a serious injury, I would then expect PB to bring in an experienced gk

That dilemma is exactly why I think PB will need to sign someone who will be prepared to fight it out with TS for the shirt. I know what you mean regarding someone (be it TS or a new 'keeper) sitting on the bench, but I think that can be dealt with by allowing whoever isn't number one to play in cup games. However, that will only have a limited affect if recent cup performances is anything to go by!

However, it is possible that he might want to use P Smith and Bexon, but I think that is too risky. P Smith hasn't played for ages and Bexon is (probably) too young and inexperienced.

Time will tell...

That dilemma is exactly why I think PB will need to sign someone who will be prepared to fight it out with TS for the shirt. I know what you mean regarding someone (be it TS or a new 'keeper) sitting on the bench, but I think that can be dealt with by allowing whoever isn't number one to play in cup games. However, that will only have a limited affect if recent cup performances is anything to go by!

However, it is possible that he might want to use P Smith and Bexon, but I think that is too risky. P Smith hasn't played for ages and Bexon is (probably) too young and inexperienced.

Time will tell...

PB Has to play a full strength side, even in the JPT. Orders from Ron. That's why Ted didn't play this season.

PB Has to play a full strength side, even in the JPT. Orders from Ron. That's why Ted didn't play this season.

That's not quite how I read it. I think PB was tasked by RM to give us a cup run. PB may have decided to do that by picking his strongest line up each time. But, that failed! Making sure both goalkeepers have exposure to the first team MAY be important next season depending on who PB brings in.

That's not quite how I read it. I think PB was tasked by RM to give us a cup run. PB may have decided to do that by picking his strongest line up each time. But, that failed! Making sure both goalkeepers have exposure to the first team MAY be important next season depending on who PB brings in.

Then you have read it wrong. The board and the manager have meetings about who's playing and why. I'm not suggesting RM picks the team like 'El Presidente' but PB was not allowed to play the likes of Ted or Jason Williams even at Crawley in the first round of the JPT.

Ron has made some vital money from the JPT so its understandable that lower league chairman take it serious even if their managers would rather not.

Back