• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not just that, the extra 1m or a good chunk of it will most likely end up in his agents or DB's pocket as a hefty signing on fee now the club won't have to pay a full amount for him. It's good business sense.

Great news we've tied ted down for now anyway.

If a club saves 1M it won't mean loads more money to Bentley or his agent, it'll mean the club will have saved money!!

Yes, he may get a bit extra, though he would have also got more from signing a new contract with us, as I'm sure we would have offered a pay rise.

You also have to remember there may be other keepers available next summer for free, no tribunal or anything

So, though it will make a difference, I don't think it'll will make a significant difference

But hey, that's just my opinion and yours differs, which is cool with me :smile:

It is good news for Ted Smith but contracts are worthless to clubs these days if a club comes in with a big money offer, Southend would lose him because big money clubs would just pay up the outstanding money on a contract. Yes, Southend would get money but lose a first class goalkeeper and would need to pay big money for a replacement.

By so doing,he may well be passing up a much larger signing-on fee when a big club comes in for him in a year or two's time but this will ensure we will get a proper transfer fee thanks to his loyalty to our club and gratitude for all the expert coaching and guidance(esp. From Paul Smith! ) over his developing years. rather different from someone else I could mention!

Are we still complaining about Bentley... We will get a fee for him regardless of whether he leaves in January or the summer. So far he has given everything for the club, and not complained If Bentley leaves, he has done so with great service to the club. I wish him nothing but the best. He deserves to be higher and have the opportunity to do so.

Back