• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tell me why you care? Tell me why he's gone there other than for the money? He's at the end of his career and will leave them for nothing. Why they want to sign players on their way down is their own business, but surely we don't. All Fleetwood will get out of this is the opportunity to spunk a lot of money in a short space of time. The Crewe model which saw them have 2 of the best players in the division and sell them for around £6m is the one to be envious of.

I think Ferguson's only on loan, isn't he? Blackpool are probably paying his wages as well, plus Blackpool to Fleetwood is like Southend to Basildon; very close. It'll put bums on seats as well, I'm sure. Win, win for Fleetwood.

By the way rib999 I agree re the Crewe model. For years they've been doing it; basically taking Man Utd fringe or reject youngsters and making them into decent pro footballers.

Crewe are practically a feeder club for Utd.

We could probably become a feeder club and have a similar arrangement with one of the London teams, probably West Ham, but I suspect the inherent prejudices and bias against that club from a lot of the fans would prevent it being a happy union.

Tell me why you care? Tell me why he's gone there other than for the money? He's at the end of his career and will leave them for nothing. Why they want to sign players on their way down is their own business, but surely we don't. All Fleetwood will get out of this is the opportunity to spunk a lot of money in a short space of time. The Crewe model which saw them have 2 of the best players in the division and sell them for around £6m is the one to be envious of.

We have over the years. Ricketts, Freedman, Sturrock, etc.

So we apparently have the answer. Ferguson is on loan and Blackpool are still paying most of his wages. That's how Fleetwood can afford it. 'Conspiracy Theory Cod Army' closed.

We have over the years. Ricketts, Freedman, Sturrock, etc.

I completely agree with you - and these were NOT our best signings. My first game was in 1990 - the side contained Austin, Powell, Butler, Angell - these are the sort of players we want, hungry and young, so they do well for us and we can then flog for a few quid a la Crewe.

Theres nothing to say they are paying much anyway. Its a 3 month loan, even if they paid 3,000 a week its only £36,000 which is peanuts to what they made last year.

By the way rib999 I agree re the Crewe model. For years they've been doing it; basically taking Man Utd fringe or reject youngsters and making them into decent pro footballers.

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it! Crewe (to be fair to them) have cornered the market on this. If you're a young player in the North West who gets released by one of the (many) prem teams in that area, you're actively looking for a Crewe contract as you know they'll get you back in the shop window. This enables them to pick up the best discarded talent on a free.

Theres nothing to say they are paying much anyway. Its a 3 month loan, even if they paid 3,000 a week its only £36,000 which is peanuts to what they made last year.

£36k is an annual salary to one of our squad players. They haven't been in the league, so haven't accumulated the debt we have over the years. Give them time.

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it! Crewe (to be fair to them) have cornered the market on this. If you're a young player in the North West who gets released by one of the (many) prem teams in that area, you're actively looking for a Crewe contract as you know they'll get you back in the shop window. This enables them to pick up the best discarded talent on a free.

I agree but it helps when you have the best cast offs!

I think Ferguson's only on loan, isn't he? Blackpool are probably paying his wages as well, plus Blackpool to Fleetwood is like Southend to Basildon; very close. It'll put bums on seats as well, I'm sure. Win, win for Fleetwood.

On loan at Fleetwood, yes. He's contracted to Blackpool.

I saw this the other day, and at the other end of the spectrum we have Dagenham- this really is an eye opener http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19716096

Really interesting article. A well run club with everyone pulling in the right direction and they have a manager who does not just sign journeymen who have no transfer value. Would be interesting to read their annual accounts line by line alongside those of SUFC. There must be areas of expenditure and income where they get better value than us. At the end of the day though it is probably the transfer income that enables them to break even every year.

Back