• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ten pounds a week for food?

In retrospect I might loiter around supermarkets in the evening and see what I could pick up in the reduced zone.

Good point Coming home late one night I got a Tesco £6 platter of assorted cheeses for 5p!

£1,95 for cheese is a lot from a tenner.

A bit of a luxury for sure but I do like beans and cheese on toast. I think sardines are the way to go. Cheap and nourishing. Fruit's pretty cheap too. Aubergine in Aldi 45p. A couple of onions, a bit of curry powder/spices and off you go. 2 meals at least.

Waitrose is the place. They sell everything dirt cheap at closing time I understand.

I am smiling here. I like this thread!

In fact on my budget I might have to eat it!

Good luck. Fortunately I'm in a position were I don't have to - plus I have a 2 1/2yr old who would devour £10 of fruit alone :smile:

My local Co-op always has meat/fish on special if they have to be sold that day. Only a minute walk away, so pop down there either at lunch or first thing and get a bargain.

To be fair Cyril, my list looks a decent diet. OK maybe lacking in flavour...

And vitamins! Nowhere near enough green stuff in there for me, I could happily live on porridge for breakfast, crudities and humus or home made soup for lunch and then salad and something for dinner, but can't go the red lentil route at all!

To be honest, I'd save £5 for a bottle of wine and then make loads of soup out of veg!

Soups, stews beans, pulses and pasta.
Classic cheap energy food like cassoulet in the south of france, gizzards, fat and haricot beans. Good for 12 hours of hard graft in the fields.

If you're also allowed to drop a grand on Bolivian Marching Powder, then a tenner would be more than sufficient to keep you in Haribos for the occasional moment when you feel a little peckish.

I managed, quite well, really, although I may have stuck to the rules a little too strictly in that the previous day I took some veg to a friend's "bring some food" lunch, the two peppers I took didn't get eaten so I brought them home, that was £1.50 I wouldn't have chosen to spend. I didn't want to waste them.

I got a bit bored with porridge for breakfast every day though! I did a rather decent lentil dish I must say. The milk lasted a week (just!).

To sum up - I think it can be done with more imagination than I have with basic foods. The best meal I had was a tin of sardines, microwaved spuds and a salad.

Try again? Yes, I think I will. Thanks for your genuine interest.

Back