• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Texting drivers: Penalty points and fines to double

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
It's about time that the penalties for mobile usage in cars was beefed up, but with a decrease in the amount of traffic cops will it make too much difference? There appears to be an increase in drivers with phones welded to their ears so maybe it's time that those we get caught lose their licence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37389800

Last edited:
I can get sacked if I'm caught texting in my own car. Agree that the punishments should be high, maybe a 5 year driving ban as well.

Completely pointless until there's enough police on the roads to enforce it. It simply won't act as a deterrent. For example, I can't actually remember the last time I saw a police car on a motorway that was either just driving or in one of their laybys. The only police cars I can remember seeing were already stopped dealing with an accident.

It will probably not happen anytime soon, but there was discussion this morning whereby phone manufacturers should consider making handsets emergency and directional aids only in a car. I'm buggered if I know how they could make that happen.

Another thought, if you, as a passenger, saw a driver using a mobile, would you consider capturing it on a camera phone and informing on him/her?

It will probably not happen anytime soon, but there was discussion this morning whereby phone manufacturers should consider making handsets emergency and directional aids only in a car. I'm buggered if I know how they could make that happen.

Another thought, if you, as a passenger, saw a driver using a mobile, would you consider capturing it on a camera phone and informing on him/her?

Nobody likes a grass.

Dragging the perpetrator out of their window and settling the matter out of court is the way to go.

It also frees up police resources.

Agreed ,I've been driving to Leicester & back over the last 27 years ,I can count on 1 hand the times iv'e seen a police car .If I made the rules it would b an instant ban ,if the driver killed some one they would face a charge of man slaughter ,they would also have their licence taken away 4 5 years ,there after take their test away .On a lighter note can u posters not b so negative about our team ,they need us behind them 2day ,we r going 2 win 2-1 .������

The new rule doesn't go far enough in my opinion, it's not like speeding where you can go over the limit due to a lapse in concentration, if you text on your phone you've consciously chosen to do it. I don't see why it isn't just an automatic ban, especially since with the lack of traffic officers a lot of people will risk it, knowing they'll get a second chance if caught anyway.

Agreed ,I've been driving to Leicester & back over the last 27 years ,I can count on 1 hand the times iv'e seen a police car .If I made the rules it would b an instant ban ,if the driver killed some one they would face a charge of man slaughter ,they would also have their licence taken away 4 5 years ,there after take their test away .On a lighter note can u posters not b so negative about our team ,they need us behind them 2day ,we r going 2 win 2-1 .������

I bet you were driving when you posted this, going by the amount of text talk.

See it a lot driving to and from work in Chelmsford, mostly under 25s, especially girls. Really gets my goat! It's become the new drink driving!

Ban em!

Completely pointless until there's enough police on the roads to enforce it. It simply won't act as a deterrent. For example, I can't actually remember the last time I saw a police car on a motorway that was either just driving or in one of their laybys. The only police cars I can remember seeing were already stopped dealing with an accident.

Police in cars not required, they just need to stand by the traffic lights at the junction of Vic Ave and Fairfax Drive and they could get 1 driver every minute doing it and having to stop at the lights but carrying on chatting/texting.

:facepalm:How silly.........lots don't seem to stop on the amber/red.:facepalm:

Nobody likes a grass.

Dragging the perpetrator out of their window and settling the matter out of court is the way to go.

It also frees up police resources.

Nah, get a few snipers up a few trees to take them out..............sorted.
Are you going all liberal Cyril?

Totally agree with this and in my view should be harsher although to be fair the same rule should apply to eating, smoking and trying to put on make-up whilst driving

Back