• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
The Voice has just published its "Black List" which recognises the achievements of the black community across all levels of football.

There are no less than four ex-blues players on the list http://bit.ly/qKpn3v - three of them are easy to spot as they are legends, the fourth is, er, not!

Chris Ramsey, the worst player I have ever seen pull on a Southend shirt. IIRC he was removed from the 1st team and in his 1st reserve match he head butted an opponent. Never played for us again. He was truly woeful!

Agree about Ramsey, but its amazing how many of our most disliked players have forged very good careers for themselves. Eric Steele, until the likes of Cumbersome came along he was right up there as our worst keeper in history ... now goalkeeping coach at Man United for example

Chris Ramsey, he worst player I have ever seen pull on a Southend shirt. IIRC he was removed from the 1st team and in his 1st reserve match he head butted an opponent. Never played for us again. He was truly woeful!

Agreed, my all time worst ever Southend player and thats saying something. The other three all give me goosebumps at the mere mention of their names.

Agree about Ramsey, but its amazing how many of our most disliked players have forged very good careers for themselves. Eric Steele, until the likes of Cumbersome came along he was right up there as our worst keeper in history ... now goalkeeping coach at Man United for example

Like Graeme Jones assistant manager at Wigan, Margetson GK coach at West Ham and Mark Prudhoe at sunderland

Why does there need to be a black list????????????????? more PC bull ****

It's because they are a minority who have historically been discriminated against in most fields of life- including football. If you went to games in the 70s and 80s you would be in no doubt of the level of racism directed at black players and how this represented a barrier to their advancement in the game. Equally though I suppose you could have a list of people from working class backgrounds (white if you prefer) who have gone on to be Prime Minister or people currently in the Cabinet who haven't been to public school. The list is simply about publicising people who have overcome significant barriers in order to become successful.

There are actually 5 ex Shrimpers on that list altough how Gary "Pscyo" Bennett sneaked on there I will never know. He scored a great goal vs Spurs but I dont think many would say he was Black:blush:

It's because they are a minority who have historically been discriminated against in most fields of life- including football. If you went to games in the 70s and 80s you would be in no doubt of the level of racism directed at black players and how this represented a barrier to their advancement in the game. Equally though I suppose you could have a list of people from working class backgrounds (white if you prefer) who have gone on to be Prime Minister or people currently in the Cabinet who haven't been to public school. The list is simply about publicising people who have overcome significant barriers in order to become successful.

So why not call it the "People who have Overcome Significant Barriers List", i do agree with TB, aren't MOBO's or this type of list just positive racism?

I don't care who you are, black, white, red, blue, etc if you've achieved or succeeded then well done

As for Chris Ramsey, he should of been shot for shocking services to football

Did we learn nothing from the film 'Soul Man'?

There are actually 5 ex Shrimpers on that list altough how Gary "Pscyo" Bennett sneaked on there I will never know. He scored a great goal vs Spurs but I dont think many would say he was Black:blush:

Altogether now " Two Gary Bennetts.....there's only two Gary Bennetts.......!"

0,,10281~8159095,00.jpggarybennetthattrick.jpg

Back