• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Joe Jacques led the club to the first success the club had , promotion 1971/72 .

Can i be controversial and say that our ship was sinking until it was saved by Captain Vic Jobson ? :net:

In my time , since 86, the only 2 stand out for me, as captains are Clark and Maher .

Clark was a leader of men, a lion !

Maher , won over the fan base , from being hated to leading a team to finals , play off wins and lifting the title in League 1.

In my time , since 86, the only 2 stand out for me, as captains are Clark and Maher .

Clark was a leader of men, a lion !

Maher , won over the fan base , from being hated to leading a team to finals , play off wins and lifting the title in League 1.

I am repeating myself BUT for those that didn't see him play he led by example and those in the team followed his lead. His tackles crunched! You could hear the legs crack against each other and ALWAYS Clark got up first, straight away and jogged off with out any sign of pain while the other play slowly hobbled away. A very very tough, calm cookie.
He also had some fiery characters in the squad to contest with; AND he did.
Head and shoulders above anyone else I have seen.
Kev was good, hard worker and kept steadfast during some chaotic times but I don't feel he had the same aura about him.

Depends what you're looking for really.

The one who fulfilled the role of captain best, the inspirational leader; leading by example.

The best player, who happened also to be captain.

The captain of our best team.

Or a bit of all of them. Paul Clark is the obvious outstanding choice especially with his additional contributions.

I think it should be Barrett. It's neck and neck between him and Maher for me but timing suits it better for it to be Barrett.

Retiring mid-season with no real send off, let him have this.

Who was captain in 1980/81 and 1991/92?

Is there anyone missed out from the list who ought to be on it ? I thought Dave Worthington was a good captain.
It would be a challenge listing them season by season. Billy Kellock anyone!!?

Depends what you're looking for really.

The one who fulfilled the role of captain best, the inspirational leader; leading by example.

The best player, who happened also to be captain.

The captain of our best team.

Or a bit of all of them. Paul Clark is the obvious outstanding choice especially with his additional contributions.

or Adam Barrett. Scored a few as well.

I am repeating myself BUT for those that didn't see him play he led by example and those in the team followed his lead. His tackles crunched! You could hear the legs crack against each other and ALWAYS Clark got up first, straight away and jogged off with out any sign of pain while the other play slowly hobbled away. A very very tough, calm cookie.
He also had some fiery characters in the squad to contest with; AND he did.
Head and shoulders above anyone else I have seen.
Kev was good, hard worker and kept steadfast during some chaotic times but I don't feel he had the same aura about him.

Roots Hall still shakes from Paul Clarks tackle on Wolves Steve Bull in April 1987 .

Agreed Beefy; this is A Good Thing.

I do hope we don't have too much recency bias though. Jimmy McAlinden was well before my time (indeed, before my Dad's time!) but I've read about him in various Southend history books and he's got one of my votes. If he doesn't get in and Peter Clarke does just because he played for us relatively recently, that would be a shame.

For the record, I voted Maher, Barrett, Clark, (all personal memories) Moody and McAlinden (read plenty about them)

I voted the same

Just catching up on this thread. I can see a lot of love for Barrett but I just wondered what seasons was he actually the official club captain for? First time around Maher was captain for our successful promotion seasons and in the Championship wasn't he? I presume he also started the following season as captain before he was bombed out? Did Peter Clarke or Barrett take over? Otherwise presumably his only seasons as captain were the debacle relegation season in Tilly's last year and this season when he barely played??

The results are in:

Back