• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Probably shouldn't start criticising a work colleague, but is there much evidence to really support Steve Peters and his Chimp theory/methods?

The concept is persuasive and I can imagine it having short term benefits to help you regain focus. But then in many publicised cases where he's been drafted in to help, performances have been poor or below par.

Successes:
Chris Hoy
Cycling in general
Ronnie O'Sullivan early on

Failure:
Football (England and Liverpool)
Ronnie (this year, completely out of focus)

With Chris Hoy and Ronnie O'Sullivan you have two of the most naturally gifted sports people ever.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting as he's popping down the road from his office to do some internal training with my department. Can't help but think that it's very niche, not particularly good for team sports, and still unproven (and also £££).

Anyway, rant over.

Doesn't apply to football particularly well. I haven't read it entirely (merely bits and the odd extract I've seen re-published here and there), but to me it seems as if it's too much on managing the emotional aspect of football which, if you speak to any player really, is a fundamental part of the game. If it's a cup final then you want your players a little more pumped up or on edge than normal, and a lot of players excel in those situations. Why negate that in favour of a cold, calculated approach?

I wouldn't include O'Sullivan in either the pro or con column to be honest. The man's an enigma wrapped inside a mystery lodged firmly inside a colossal arsehole.

Doesn't apply to football particularly well. I haven't read it entirely (merely bits and the odd extract I've seen re-published here and there), but to me it seems as if it's too much on managing the emotional aspect of football which, if you speak to any player really, is a fundamental part of the game. If it's a cup final then you want your players a little more pumped up or on edge than normal, and a lot of players excel in those situations. Why negate that in favour of a cold, calculated approach?

I wouldn't include O'Sullivan in either the pro or con column to be honest. The man's an enigma wrapped inside a mystery lodged firmly inside a colossal arsehole.

Haha yeah good point about Ronnie.

I think the contrast between individual sports and team sports is the main issue. Plus the fact that Steven Gerrard is a massive chocker.

Back