• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Et tu, Brute?........................Tara Brady quote from today's Echo, "I thought that I'd enjoy it more".............so Tara joins the list of those criticising our style of play? :winking:

Also, those who say the quality being brought in is to cement promotion push & build for Lg1, I'd say a change in style is definitely needed after promotion, look at the Lg1 table, Chesterfield were so strong (& direct) last year, as to a lesser extent were Wycombe!

I actually remember Chesterfield playing some good football last season and I think a big part of why they're heading back to L2 is that they lost a 20+ a season striker in Craig Davies last summer for nowt and that would be hard for any team to cope with. We don't have that problem of reliance on one player as the goals are very much shared around.

In terms of Wycombe I believe we are certainly a superior side than the one that took them up last year. I'm confident that this side is good enough to consolidate in L1 should we win promotion, that is unless we suffer key departures this summer.

For me, the style of our play will matter when we face the top teams. We need to start playing better and have more possession, i fear in those tight games we may just throw it away.
I believe the fact we have two good wingers and Moshni to use as a sub is a great weapon in our armoury and will change the face of our play. It means we can get around the back of teams and turn defences around, facing their 'keeper and they will find it increasingly difficult to cope against us. So, we don't need to pass through teams, we will go around them. BUT, like i say, we'll need possession of the ball against the top few and that's an issue i'm concerned with.

John Barnes Likes This :thumbsup:

couldnt agree more, I still think that many people are still dealing with what i dubbed the post tilly strop out syndrome and even being top of the league and looking certs for promotion is not good enough, IMO ridiculous

Spot on and great post from Applelover there are some weird people following our club

E]

I do feel that sometimes this season we have played rubbish, but there are plenty of reasons for this; players off form, teams putting men behind the ball etc - just because we play direct, doesn't mean this is the reason we have played rubbish, even though that always gets the blame.

Sometimes we are rubbish, but I've seen plenty of rubbish games, far worse than I've experienced this season, over the last 20 odd years!!!

Personally I think we have played some decent football, but we play it in the opposition half and not in our own, that's the difference.

It did make me laugh during the last 10 minutes of the Port Vale game, we were leading 3-0, clearly Vale had no intention of attacking and therefore had everyone back behind the ball, so we didn't have many options from the back, so they just played keep ball and still the fans were grumbling - who would be a manager eh :)

I dunno why some of (I wouldn't say a name of u guys as I am not a Rat) moaning about our style of play, got over 50 point, top scorer in League 2 and best away record, why moan about it ... I rather be up here than being around 8th and trying to get into the Play Off!

I have seen worst Southend Utd side between 1997 to 2003 so I am grateful to see us doing well this year ... more of the same please till 6th of May!

Is it just me or does anyone else think he should change his name to Clungemore?

Being knee-deep in Clunie just isn't the same.

I would think 100% are happy with our league position and goalscoring form.

I also think around 50% are thoroughly unimpressed with the manner in which that has been achieved.

Attendances aren't great for a club sitting top of the league. I know many die hard fans who have missed games this season because they can't stand watching the current style.

A bit of honesty wouldn't go amiss, we're winning but it's awful to watch 80% of the time.

As has been pointed out, attendances are in fact decent, among the best in the division.
Who are these "die-hard" fans you know? How many? Clearly, they're not die-hard fans at all.
Remember, this is still a relatively new side - as the season has gone we have played an increasing amount of football on the floor in the final third. With the new signings I believe we'll see more of that in the run-in and I'm genuinely excited about the prospects in League One next year.
Get behind the club!

Back