• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Essex CCC Thread

After a draw in the first Championship game of the summer against Derbyshire, Essex face Northants Kolpakshire) Steelbacks today in their defence of the FPT Trophy. Both Napier & Bopara are absent at the IPL, Cook injured and Danish still awaiting his visa.

Interesting to see Matt the Shrimp in the Essex side. A very good interview with James Foster pre match with Nasser Hussain.

Kolpakshire already 1 down in the first over after winning the toss and electing to bat.

68-4 now, thought they might get away a bit but we've done well to get a few wickets before that happened.

I thought it was pretty comfortable yesterday; we always had plenty of batting in reserve (Foster, ten Doeschate and the potentially explosive - if only for a short period - Middlesbrook and Wright didn't get to bat) and we delayed the batting powerplay until very late on, which gave Northants a distorted view of the equation going into the final ten overs.

Early on, I was very impressed with Pettini's captaincy, delaying the bowling powerplay for an over to introduce Middlebrook early on, then taking it straight away and getting another couple of wickets. I think he's really growing into the role, particularly in one-day cricket, although he could have used the spinners a little more yesterday later on in the innings, when Wright and Chambers briefly returned for expensive one-off overs.

Batting-wise, after a shaky start (Gallian, Pettini and Chopra all exhibited fairly wafty drives inside the opening ten overs), everyone contributed and made what could've been a testing target very easy to chase down. Chopra's starting to show his potential now after a slightly disappointing 2008 with a fifty in the Championship match in addition to his 76 yesterday, with his next step probably to try and step up the pace of an innings as he moves from 30 to 70.

Gloucs 68-4 at lunch.

Essex unchanged from last week's game against Northants.

Another 3 catches for Fozzie, making it 10 out of the 20 FC wickets we've taken so far this season.

Gloucs all out for 155, RtD wrapping up the tail to finish with 5-62 from 18 overs.

Essex 2-0 in reply.

Good work boys.

Edit - Beat me to it Number11 :)

Great performance with the ball, but our batting again this year could be horrific. The wickets suggest a swinging day in Bristol. Saying that, our best 3 batsmen are to come (ok, my preferred 3) so hopefully we can get to 300.

Back