• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Expendables

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
Anyone else seen/heard much about this yet? It follows "A group of mercenaries who travel to South America on a mission to overthrow a dictator". Releases in Aug 2010 and has an all star cast. Directed by Sly Stallone it stars;

Sly Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Eric Roberts, Randy Couture, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Terry Crews, Bruce Willis, Brittany Murphy*, Danny Trejo, Charisma Carpenter,

Proper all star cast.

*Brittany Murphy's last film? I know she was cast in a fw others due for release in the next few years, but i don't know if she finished shooting them or not.

American mercenaries eh! No doubt all Belguim Congo vets and not a scratch amongst them. About time some of them gave it up, I mean, Rourke looks like he would struggle to make it up a flight of stairs let alone hacking through the Amazon. Jet Li??!! Kung Fu Panda meets Jungle Book perhaps. Is Steve Austin going to be jumping up on jungle vines while smacking a couple of beers together? Sorry, this has bollocks written all over it.

American mercenaries eh! No doubt all Belguim Congo vets and not a scratch amongst them. About time some of them gave it up, I mean, Rourke looks like he would struggle to make it up a flight of stairs let alone hacking through the Amazon. Jet Li??!! Kung Fu Panda meets Jungle Book perhaps. Is Steve Austin going to be jumping up on jungle vines while smacking a couple of beers together? Sorry, this has bollocks written all over it.

Quite possible i reckon.

On the other hand, you never know...

As a parody of meathead action films it could be pretty decent, but this has straight to DVD written all over it.

As a parody of meathead action films it could be pretty decent, but this has straight to DVD written all over it.

I'd be very surprised if it went straight to DVD with this cast. It has the storyline of a 'straight-to-DVD' film, but just for the fact of the all star cast it should make money. Also to be fair Stallone has written and directed it, and he ain't that bad.

As GHG said though, it could turn out to be a pile of shizzle. OR it could turn out to be decent. Just have to wait and see i guess

EDIT: forgot to mention, Stallone is currently in the pre-production stages of Rambo V (which co-stars Mickey Rourke)

2nd EDIT: it cost them $70m to make this. Not as big as say Transformers, but still a large sum of dough

Last edited:
Yeah I read about this in Empire a few months ago. I can't wait. As long as it doesn't take itself too seriously (and I doubt it will), it could be immense. It'll be awful on many levels, obviously, but it could also be a huge amount of fun.

Very possible I'm afraid. I have taken a keen interest in wars that have involved mercenaries for over 30 years. Most have involved British, French, Belguim, and South African mercenaries, hardly any Americans apart from the odd glory hunter has been directly involved and none have been in command of their own Brigades. Off the top of my head, the famous ones you may of heard of are Mike Hoare (British) John Peters (British) Jean Denard ( French) and 'Black Jack (french spelling of Jack) last name escapes me but he was Belguim. These were vetrans of the West Africa wars such as Rwanda, Angola, Belguim Congo and Sudan. All made alot of money from it and commanded some of the most feared fighters Africa had ever seen. Even Zimbas (the best trained and most savage soldiers) who had Russian and East Germany backing thought twice before taking on these bad boys.

I tend to get the hump when Hollywood decides to re-write history and bigs up the good ol US of A and doubley when they make out their boys are hot snot with something they have no concept of at all. All the yanks have ever done is chuck money at something that benefits them like the CIA backing The Contras in the 80's. Or secretly selling arms to Argentina during the Falklands War while maintaining that they wasn't. Opps, did I say that out loud? Oh well, truth hurts.

has an all star cast:

Sly Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham, Mickey Rourke, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Eric Roberts, Randy Couture, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Terry Crews, Bruce Willis, Brittany Murphy*, Danny Trejo, Charisma Carpenter

Does anyone else think that Jason Statham is a Grade A, Vanden Plas stroker?

... and I thought that this was going to be a thread about the players, management and other staff seen off by Ron's revolving door policy. :dim:

Back