• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
A legend bows out

We should be privileged that a player and a person of such high standing will play his final game in professional football for Southend United. Lets hope our last game of the season against Bristol City at the Hall is a day for celebration for the club but given that it will also be the Goat's farewell I would hope that after so many games and 200+ goals in his career along with being a great ambassador for the game and an MBE to boot the club will organise some sort of presentation for the Goat to mark his career. The great thing is also not only COULD it be a fitting end for Shaun if we do win promotion but it's nice that his final game will also be against one of his former clubs in Bristol City whose fans gave him a standing ovation at Ashton Gate and I'm sure he'll get a fantastic send-off from both sets of supporters.

Scriv do you know if the club has anything planned for the Goat?

Disgraceful admission!

If I had managed to get myself booked already – and that doesn’t that often happen because I only put in about one tackle in every four years – then I probably would be more careful with my celebrations

mad.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Feb. 08 2006,12:27)]That article doesn't allow for our possible playoff appearance!
I think Goater is aiming to fire us up in an automatic spot!!!

I know that Southend-Bristol City would be a fitting last game for the Goat, as it was Bristol City that he started his career with all those years ago. But of course, the playoffs may come in the way of that dream last game for the Goat. Encouraging words though that he is going to try his heart out for us from now till the end.

Nope, Goater started with ManU as youth player before he went to play for Rotherham then to Bristol City, Man City was his next club then move to Reading then hopefully he go out with glory with Southend. Let give him much support as possible to give him his best memory ever by helping SUFC back to Championship for first time since 97.

Does this mean, however, that Tilly will feel obliged to play him everygame possible? I'm sure Tilly will still play the best side he feels for each fixture but i'm sure the goat won't want spend many of his last games on the bench.

Oh right, sorry. I knew he had spent some time with Bristol City, I guess I just assumed it was the start of his career.

Wouldnt it be magic if we needed to beat Bristol City to win promotion and Goater scored the winner.

Didn't the Goat play against us in our last promotion from the 3rd tier in 90/91? I'm sure I remember seeing him at the Hall in our 2-1 win near the very start of his career?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Feb. 08 2006,13:07)]Wouldnt it be magic if we needed to beat Bristol City to win promotion and Goater scored the winner.
Yes it would, be even better if it was to win the title

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Feb. 08 2006,13:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpbizkit @ Feb. 08 2006,13:07)]Wouldnt it be magic if we needed to beat Bristol City to win promotion and Goater scored the winner.
Yes it would, be even better if it was to win the title
Nope, I want it all sewn up long before that!
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hambone @ Feb. 08 2006,12:54)] Encouraging words though that he is going to try his heart out for us from now till the end.
That'll make a pleasant change then

Everyone is saying nice words, but nobody has actually said they're disappointed.
I realise from noises on the terraces that I may be slightly unpopular by saying this, but I am really disappointed. I kind of assumed he would be playing on a another season.
Even when he has bad game, his presence on the pitch appears to be a real lift for the squad, and however bad his first half was on Saturday, his 2nd half was superb. He really showed what he is still capable of, and for that I think he has another season in him.
Added to which he is a true gent, and possibly the nicest bloke to pull on a blue shirt.
I will be sad to see him go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (keefmoon @ Feb. 08 2006,13:47)]Everyone is saying nice words, but nobody has actually said they're disappointed.
I realise from noises on the terraces that I may be slightly unpopular by saying this, but I am really disappointed. I kind of assumed he would be playing on a another season.
Even when he has bad game, his presence on the pitch appears to be a real lift for the squad, and however bad his first half was on Saturday, his 2nd half was superb. He really showed what he is still capable of, and for that I think he has another season in him.
Added to which he is a true gent, and possibly the nicest bloke to pull on a blue shirt.
I will be sad to see him go.
I'm very disappointed. It baffles me how people can be critical of ANY member of the squad when their club is exceeding all expectations at the top of the league!!

Football is a team game and a season is played out with a squad of players. Goater, while not a 90 minute, week-in, week-out player, has contributed immensely to our fantastic season.

Seven goals is not a bad return for someone who has been injured for around two months, and has been in and out of the side. He clearly contributes to Tilson's ethic off the pitch and is a model pro, and his partnership with lawson when Eastwood was out shows how much he has influenced those around him.

I've no time for people who can't recognise the contribution he has made for this club.

I will try and talk him out of it as I am supposed to be going to a Shaun Goater lunch/dinner at Man City towards the end of March!  Here in the office we have just purchased some exec seats at the stadium and my contact at City is trying to sort me out some complimentary tickets!  The lunches/dinners take place to raise money for his Bermudan charity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 08 2006,14:55)]I've no time for people who can't recognise the contribution he has made for this club.
Fully agree, I've been saying that for the past month or so.

Oh I know he has been a great player for us in this short time, fully playing his part in the team effort this year. I will be sad to see him go.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jai @ Feb. 08 2006,14:55)]I'm very disappointed. It baffles me how people can be critical of ANY member of the squad when their club is exceeding all expectations at the top of the league!!

Football is a team game and a season is played out with a squad of players. Goater, while not a 90 minute, week-in, week-out player, has contributed immensely to our fantastic season.

Seven goals is not a bad return for someone who has been injured for around two months, and has been in and out of the side. He clearly contributes to Tilson's ethic off the pitch and is a model pro, and his partnership with lawson when Eastwood was out shows how much he has influenced those around him.

I've no time for people who can't recognise the contribution he has made for this club.
Well said Jai you've captured my feelings completely. I think The Goat has been one of the best signings we've made in my lifetime. He's a legend that gave the whole club a lift when he joined and his presence will have given the players the belief that they could achieve something this year....and that's how it's turning out. I hope we manage to send the old boy off with some great memories..........

Back