• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the hall !!

graysblue

Banned
ok fair enough its a dump,but i simply love the gaff.

the pitch is top notch,the quirky ladder to the gantry,the back row seats in the upper,the floodlights which have seen so much over the years,the dodgy food, ect ect.

crept onto the pitch on several occasions and "scored" several blinding goals............................fantastic.

if/when we ever leave this beautiful ground..............it will be a sad day for me.

what are peoples quirkest memories?

Don't know about quirky, but that moment on a snowy night in January 1979 when we realised that we were holding our own against one of the best teams in the world, and having been standing around in the freezing temperatures for hours is a memory that stays with me now.

Don't know about quirky, but that moment on a snowy night in January 1979 when we realised that we were holding our own against one of the best teams in the world, and having been standing around in the freezing temperatures for hours is a memory that stays with me now.

My memory of that is a little less accurate as i am a lot younger then you but it is......10 mins before kick off, nugging my dad and asking (as i am intently transfixed on the North Bank) "Dad, how come there are no Liverpool fans" and then the spooily the fog that seemed to linger over the entire pitch just lifted as if by magic to revellew a sea of Red from one ond of the North Bank to the other. My dad looked down at me to see the biggest grin you have ever seen on a young lads face

memories of Roots Hall, the Jobson protests, they were fun even when some Notts county supporters got involved outside the North Bank, which in turn led to Ginger Lee knocking one of them out.
Also when the west wasn't all seater and you would walk from one end to the other end at half time to watch the blues attack the other goal.
The pitch invasion against Ipswich, when instead of a fight it ended as one big love in.
Finally the last game of the season vs Wrexham (can't remember the year) mass charge to the Wrexham lot, swapped my blue shirt for a wrexham shirt and then joined in the protest. Loads of Southend supporters wondering why a Wrexham supperter was joining in the protests.

I remeber another last game of the season. Ipswich , I think, both sets of fans piled on the pitch and trouble looked like it was on the agenda, then both sets of fans joined as one in a Jobson protest.
I also recall protests against the Rubin brothers. One particular game a group who used to stand behind me in the North moved to the south and persuaded a buch of young kids to hold cards up, Each card had one letter , which combined spelt RUBINS OUT later after
a quick bit of correography and they spelt U ROBIN US

1068 at home to Halifax and Canveyshrimper having to give up smoking because it was too far to walk to ask the bloke standing next to him for a light

My memory of that is a little less accurate as i am a lot younger then you but it is......10 mins before kick off, nugging my dad and asking (as i am intently transfixed on the North Bank) "Dad, how come there are no Liverpool fans" and then the spooily the fog that seemed to linger over the entire pitch just lifted as if by magic to revellew a sea of Red from one ond of the North Bank to the other. My dad looked down at me to see the biggest grin you have ever seen on a young lads face

Flippin' cheek! Not that much! We got in the ground I think at about half 6 and stood in the Paddock, and had walked down from Southend Central so were absolutely frozen, but you just didn't notice. Remember being transfixed that dear old Emlyn Hughes was playing at our ground!

Cheers mate

It hasn't got one of these outside, so I'd leave the tight shorts and muscle top back at home....

Gay_Flag.jpg

Back