• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The League Paper

weststander

Manager
I dont know if it has been mentioned but i have just read my copy of the paper for this week. There is an interview with Freddy and he says he is more than happy here and it will be a huge wrench if he ever had to leave, he loves the place and especially the fans, good news....
Now for the not so good, there is also an article saying that West Brom will be asking this week if they can speak to Tilly, now i know it maybe just paper talk but i get the feeling that there's no smoke without fire, also with Norwich sacking Worthington tonight whats the betting he'll be look at by Delia and Norwich is just up the road. Would anyone blame him if he looked at these potential Premiership teams ?

Interesting news!

Just as there are some slight (very slight!) doubts to Tilsons ability surfacing.

On that note, if anyone has the Goats book, is it right that he says that "Tilly doesnt really do tactics or give us any information on the opposition - he is a great man manager though".

Something like that...? That is interesting too, at a time when his stock is rising and his involvement with the U21's too.

As much as I love Tilly, I'd have to say the same as I do for Freddy in that neither are ready for the step up to bigger things just yet...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Oct. 01 2006,20:24)]Interesting news!

Just as there are some slight (very slight!) doubts to Tilsons ability surfacing.

On that note, if anyone has the Goats book, is it right that he says that "Tilly doesnt really do tactics or give us any information on the opposition - he is a great man manager though".

Something like that...? That is interesting too, at a time when his stock is rising and his involvement with the U21's too.

As much as I love Tilly, I'd have to say the same as I do for Freddy in that neither are ready for the step up to bigger things just yet...
That Goat quote is misleading as its said in a positive context. He lets the players go out and play and doesn't make them go out onto the pitch bogged down with a load of tactical information, most of which will be forgotten or ignored. Mike Newell has said in the past that he does the same thing because he said that 90% of what is said in the dressing room is forgotten about straight away anyway.

This is a better quote "...sometimes all you need is motivational skills and to be good at man-management - and (Tilson) was first class at both".

The only criticism of Tilly in the book is that he trains the players too hard.

I'm sure I've read that Tilson is a big admirer of Arsene Wenger's minimalist management style.

Apparently, contrary to popular opinion it was not Peter Taylor that tipped Tilly off about Billy Paynter but none other than Mister Wenger. Billy was all set for a lucrative move to Arsenal for upwards of £10 million in the summer but Billy turned them down because Arsenal couldn't offer him Championship football. Furthermore, as a reknowned intellectual of the Left Billy Paynter  refused to be transferred for such an obscene amount of money hence us getting him at a knockdown price of £200,000.

As Jimmy Greaves one said "It's a funny old game".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Oct. 01 2006,20:24)]On that note, if anyone has the Goats book, is it right that he says that "Tilly doesnt really do tactics or give us any information on the opposition - he is a great man manager though".
I have had these worries for a while now and perhaps it is time to share the following.

Last Valentines evening I spotted Tilson enjoying a meal with his missus at an expensive local restaurant.

I pulled up a seat to his table and after introducing myself said that I had been struggling to get Southend promoted out of the basement division whilst playing Championship manager 2002.

I asked him if I should persevere with a Rawle/Bramble front two and a 4-4-2 attacking formation.

He mumbled that he didn't 'really have a clue' at which point he avoided making eye contact with me and asked a waiter for the bill.

Make of this what you will.

He was out on the one romantic night of the year with his wife and you go up to him and ask him about a computer game
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 02 2006,11:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Oct. 01 2006,20:24)]On that note, if anyone has the Goats book, is it right that he says that "Tilly doesnt really do tactics or give us any information on the opposition - he is a great man manager though".
I have had these worries for a while now and perhaps it is time to share the following.

Last Valentines evening I spotted Tilson enjoying a meal with his missus at an expensive local restaurant.

I pulled up a seat to his table and after introducing myself said that I had been struggling to get Southend promoted out of the basement division whilst playing Championship manager 2002.

I asked him if I should persevere with a Rawle/Bramble front two and a 4-4-2 attacking formation.

He mumbled that he didn't 'really have a clue' at which point he avoided making eye contact with me and asked a waiter for the bill.

That is enough for me Mad Cyril.....That all the evidence I need

Tilson out as far as I am concerned.....

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I was actually at the restaurant on the same night. I saw this whole incident when I was getting Tes' autograph. Seemed a bit odd Tes being out with Mark Rawle on Valentines but I had to get that signature.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 02 2006,11:18)]Last Valentines evening I spotted Tilson enjoying a meal with his missus at an expensive local restaurant.

laugh.gif
As you name implies, you really are quite mad aren't you.

If that had been me out with the missus on Valentines Night and you'd pulled a chair up to my table rambling on about a bloody computer game I'd have rammed the nearest fish knife in your eye............................then called for the bill
laugh.gif

I can only guess that the bulk of you boys dont come into the Pub section as Mad Cyril comes out with pearls like this all the time.....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
[b said:

Last Valentines evening? so that explains why we got beat by Brentford!!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (weststander @ Oct. 01 2006,20:17)]Now for the not so good, there is also an article saying that West Brom will be asking this week if they can speak to Tilly, now i know it maybe just paper talk but i get the feeling that there's no smoke without fire, also with Norwich sacking Worthington tonight whats the betting he'll be look at by Delia and Norwich is just up the road.  Would anyone blame him if he looked at these potential Premiership teams ?
Just thout i would stir the pot a little more, i live just out side of Norwich and tilson is Certainly in the frame for the next Norwich manager with Curbishly top of the list, but if he does go he will be back for one or two of the playing squad.
rock.gif

[b said:
[b said:

This post raises more questions than it answers:

1. which restaurant was it and was it any good?
2. did Ron Martin pay for the bill on his Southend United credit card?
3. how do you know it was Tilly's missus and not somebody else's missus?
4. was Brushy jealous of Tilly spending the evening with someone else when a trip together to the West End of London had been planned months previously?
5. did he suggest playing Adam Barrett at left-back was the way forward?
6. was he wearing Dagenham Kev's trackie bottoms?

you should start at least a thread on each.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (I 8 COLU @ Oct. 02 2006,17:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (weststander @ Oct. 01 2006,20:17)]Now for the not so good, there is also an article saying that West Brom will be asking this week if they can speak to Tilly, now i know it maybe just paper talk but i get the feeling that there's no smoke without fire, also with Norwich sacking Worthington tonight whats the betting he'll be look at by Delia and Norwich is just up the road.  Would anyone blame him if he looked at these potential Premiership teams ?
Just thout i would stir the pot a little more, i live just out side of Norwich and tilson is Certainly in the frame for the next Norwich manager with Curbishly top of the list, but if he does go he will be back for one or two of the playing squad.
rock.gif
Doesn't take a genius to work out who one of those would be.......

Still I'm not worried, Norwich will go higher profile.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Oct. 02 2006,17:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (I 8 COLU @ Oct. 02 2006,17:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (weststander @ Oct. 01 2006,20:17)]Now for the not so good, there is also an article saying that West Brom will be asking this week if they can speak to Tilly, now i know it maybe just paper talk but i get the feeling that there's no smoke without fire, also with Norwich sacking Worthington tonight whats the betting he'll be look at by Delia and Norwich is just up the road. Would anyone blame him if he looked at these potential Premiership teams ?
rock.gif
Doesn't take a genius to work out who one of those would be.......

Still I'm not worried, Norwich will go higher profile.
Paynter? Why would RM let him go when we've only just bought him?

rock.gif

The other JCR perhaps?

rock.gif

You missed question 7 Hong Kong Blue.
7. Did Mad Cyril not consider that Tilly didnt want to chat to him because he found a naked bloke straddling a chair like Christine Keeler a la Profumo Affair at his table rather off putting ?

Back