• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I really feel that we have the basics of a pretty good side for next season assuming we can hold the prize assets such as Hall, Moshni and Kane.

A side that looks as follows

Morris

Moshni
Barker

Kane
Easton
Granty

Hall
Corr

Is a pretty decent basis. Obviously we need a few players to go with them but I really feel that were moving in the right direction.

I agree. I would also add Clohessy to that equation and and let's not forget we have Lee Sawyer to come back from injury!

If we are able to secure 4 or 5 decent players in the summer, then there's every reason why we should be going for the top three next year.

Very much what I thought coming away last night.

So much depends on ps being given the chance to keep the above mentioned players and perhaps even making just 3 or 4 decent summer signings. I suppose acquiring another Freddy is too much to ask, but despite Corrs better than expected contribution this season I think that another good goal scorer would really make things exciting for next year, especially with his well documented fitness problems.

As always so much will depend on uncle ron and the finances, fingers crossed.

I really feel that we have the basics of a pretty good side for next season assuming we can hold the prize assets such as Hall, Moshni and Kane.

A side that looks as follows

Morris

Moshni
Barker

Kane
Easton
Granty

Hall
Corr

Is a pretty decent basis. Obviously we need a few players to go with them but I really feel that were moving in the right direction.

Me too. I would like to see another decent performance against Stevenage on Friday to confirm this wasn't a one off display though!

I agree. I would also add Clohessy to that equation and and let's not forget we have Lee Sawyer to come back from injury!

If we are able to secure 4 or 5 decent players in the summer, then there's every reason why we should be going for the top three next year.

That'll be the Lee Sawyer last seen driving casually out of Roots Hall last night in his Xsara, phone clamped to his ear, chattering away while trying to negotiate the queues of traffic? i wonder you know, if Sturrock has seen enough to convince him, not as if he can play for a contract atm is it?

Seem to remember similar things being said at the end of February, before injuries, suspensions and failure to bring in loan players put an end to our promotion ambitions. Would expect to see us starting the new season with virtually all of the players mentioned above, with the exception perhaps of Grant......but there again isn't Grant always on the point of leaving. That certainly is the basis of a good side but the problem this season, in my opinion, has not been the quality of our first choice eleven but the lack in depth of quality of the squad. By the end of July would should see whether that problem has been rectified.
Have to say that, following the pleasure of our performance last night, today I feel rather flat and sad seeing teams battling it out for promotion places, when we are playing for honour ..........and contracts. At least we are not having to deal with the stress and disappointment of a relegation dog-fight. Talking about that our new adversaries next season from League one could have a distinctly west-country flavour....................Plymouth, Bristol Rovers and Swindon would surely have Shrimpero salivating in expectation!

Myself I would have Sawyer over Grant and use the money from Grant to get some more league 2 quality players in. A couple of giant centre halves and someone with real gas up front (either through the middle or out wide). We need more depth from the bench when the suspensions and injuries come through a season.

Sadly we are in league 2 again next year and we need a squad that can cope well in these conditions...good teamwork and being tight at the back goes along way in this league...I think we could do well next season

I no there are a lot of Blair lovers out there which i can't understand why cos i think he is one of the worst stikers i've ever watched but we are never going to get out of this league if we have a striker like him who is gonna score 6 goals a season, he has no pace at all and never causes defenders problems so i'm afraid untill we get rid of him, we don't stand much of a chance of promotion.

It will be interesting to see who is given new contracts for next season. Don't think he will be given one.
Your forgetting one huge fact my friend which is Paul is his dad after all. If we had a different manager, sturrock would be the striker we got rid of instead of Spencer who was actually half decent. Despite his dreadfull performances all year I have a big feeling hes gonna give him a contract unfortuantly, whether Blair stayed or not was a big factor in deciding whether to renew my season ticket or not which in the end i decided i would. I was just fed up of seing the ball ballooned out of roots hall from 5 yeards out

Your forgetting one huge fact my friend which is Paul is his dad after all. If we had a different manager, sturrock would be the striker we got rid of instead of Spencer who was actually half decent. Despite his dreadfull performances all year I have a big feeling hes gonna give him a contract unfortuantly, whether Blair stayed or not was a big factor in deciding whether to renew my season ticket or not which in the end i decided i would. I was just fed up of seing the ball ballooned out of roots hall from 5 yeards out

Seemingly, Paul Sturrock isn't the only League Two manager whose opinion is to the contrary. I think the fact that Tilson would rather recall Drewe Broughton than trust Scott Spencer speaks volumes.

Seemingly, Paul Sturrock isn't the only League Two manager whose opinion is to the contrary. I think the fact that Tilson would rather recall Drewe Broughton than trust Scott Spencer speaks volumes.
Steve Tilson however has given him 8 start/sub appearances whereas Sturrock played him a couple of times in where he did okay, Bristol City where he set up a Barry Corr header if i remember rightly, but he didnt even give him a chance, id take spencer over blair any day of the week though

Steve Tilson however has given him 8 start/sub appearances whereas Sturrock played him a couple of times in where he did okay, Bristol City where he set up a Barry Corr header if i remember rightly, but he didnt even give him a chance, id take spencer over blair any day of the week though

2 starts,7 sub appearances, no goals ,no assists and a stinking attitude. I'm not suggesting Blair is the answer but Spencer certainly isn't either.

Lee Sawyer has shown glimpses and nothing more to suggest he is better than our preferred midfield trio of Kane, Grant and Easton. Sure offer him a 1 year on the basis of what we've seen before and bits since but let's not go overboard. He has not lit up RH yet on his return. Our preferred starting XI is fine. What we lack is a squad that has decent depth to cover injury and suspension. Here's hoping !

Back