• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lee Sawyer has shown glimpses and nothing more to suggest he is better than our preferred midfield trio of Kane, Grant and Easton. Sure offer him a 1 year on the basis of what we've seen before and bits since but let's not go overboard. He has not lit up RH yet on his return. Our preferred starting XI is fine. What we lack is a squad that has decent depth to cover injury and suspension. Here's hoping !

Which is exactly why we should be looking to keep players like Sawyer (if his attitude is OK). Not only is he good cover or IMO a good starter, he's a different type of player to the 3 we started with last night. He could also be played as one of the 2 players supporting the striker in the 4-3-3.

Which is exactly why we should be looking to keep players like Sawyer (if his attitude is OK). Not only is he good cover or IMO a good starter, he's a different type of player to the 3 we started with last night. He could also be played as one of the 2 players supporting the striker in the 4-3-3.

There will be few new players in I am sure, and I think Sawyer needs a proper pre season to do his stuff

Steve Tilson however has given him 8 start/sub appearances whereas Sturrock played him a couple of times in where he did okay, Bristol City where he set up a Barry Corr header if i remember rightly, but he didnt even give him a chance, id take spencer over blair any day of the week though

Spencer's minutes for Lincoln have largely been accrued in the dying embers of games. Since he signed for them, he's managed just over 200 minutes of football... The vast majority of which were in the two games he's started. Spencer seemed to be of the opinion that the only reason he wasn't getting game time here was because of Sturrock and this is an opinion supported by some on this board... if that's the case, then why isn't he starting for Lincoln under a manager he gushes for?

Even if he was impressing in training, why is Tilson choosing to introduce Broughton ahead of him as of late? All signs point to him flattering to deceive.

agree with the OP.

keep that lot and clohessy, and get a new decent acquisitions with a bit of quality and theres no reason given the calibre of league two, why we really cant mount a serious challenge next season. Pretty sure Blair will get a contract, as the managers son, dont neccesarily have a problem with that as he does add something, however if promotion is what we want a new pacy striker with an eye for goal is needed.
Been such a long time sonce we've had a "nothing" season in league two, and is a bit grim, but as with every year, am already looking forward to next season.

agree with the OP.

keep that lot and clohessy, and get a new decent acquisitions with a bit of quality and theres no reason given the calibre of league two, why we really cant mount a serious challenge next season. Pretty sure Blair will get a contract, as the managers son, dont neccesarily have a problem with that as he does add something, however if promotion is what we want a new pacy striker with an eye for goal is needed.
Been such a long time sonce we've had a "nothing" season in league two, and is a bit grim, but as with every year, am already looking forward to next season.

Fully agree. If we could actually get someone in with a bit of pace and the ability to get maybe 15+ from Blair's position (left of the 3) then we really would be looking pretty good for next season.

Another positive to bear in mind is that Hally has now scored 9 goals since the turn of the year, his position change has certainly had a lot to do with that. If he carries on next season as he has done since January then I see no reason why he can't get 15-18 himself next year.

Fully agree. If we could actually get someone in with a bit of pace and the ability to get maybe 15+ from Blair's position (left of the 3) then we really would be looking pretty good for next season.

Another positive to bear in mind is that Hally has now scored 9 goals since the turn of the year, his position change has certainly had a lot to do with that. If he carries on next season as he has done since January then I see no reason why he can't get 15-18 himself next year.

Do you see him as a winger or as an attacker as a front three? I wonder if Sturrock plans to stick with the 433 next season - depends on players coming in I guess.

I know he's done really well since the new year, but I wonder if that's to do with his position or just confidence.

I can't wait to keep this side together that got us to this high level of 14th in league 2.

I can't wait to keep this side together that got us to this high level of 14th in league 2.

Our first XI is strong, and has been competitive against the best teams in this division, it's our lack of depth/competition where we've been lacking. Some of Sturrock's signings haven't worked, and we need to replace some of the deadwood with some good signings.

I wonder if we would have come 14th if all the other clubs in this league had had just 2 to 3 weeks to assemble a complete squad together.

That'll be the Lee Sawyer last seen driving casually out of Roots Hall last night in his Xsara, phone clamped to his ear, chattering away while trying to negotiate the queues of traffic? i wonder you know, if Sturrock has seen enough to convince him, not as if he can play for a contract atm is it?

What have you got against Lee Sawyer ??? The lads injured and should be back for Friday.

'Driving casually out of Roots Hall in his Xsara' - Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to go home !!!!!

What have you got against Lee Sawyer ??? The lads injured and should be back for Friday.

'Driving casually out of Roots Hall in his Xsara' - Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to go home !!!!!

Maybe he shouldn't be allowed to drive a Xsara!

It was the fact he was on his phone!!! :angry: Clearly law breaking and blatantly doing so, and driving whilst on the phone is one of my biggest pet hates! He had no control of his car, as you probably know, that car park is on a hill and he kept rolling backwards towards us!

It was the fact he was on his phone!!! :angry: Clearly law breaking and blatantly doing so, and driving whilst on the phone is one of my biggest pet hates! He had no control of his car, as you probably know, that car park is on a hill and he kept rolling backwards towards us!

Is it breaking the law if it's on private land?:unsure:

As this thread has become nicely diverted, did anyone notice Granty's shiny new white BMW X6? He's obviously getting paid...

I really feel that we have the basics of a pretty good side for next season assuming we can hold the prize assets such as Hall, Moshni and Kane.

A side that looks as follows

Morris

Moshni
Barker

Kane
Easton
Granty

Hall
Corr

Is a pretty decent basis. Obviously we need a few players to go with them but I really feel that were moving in the right direction.

SO... assuming those 8 players will be first-team material next season, we are effectively looking to add a first team left back, right back (or stick with Clohessy), and a winger/support striker OR centre forward (depending on which system we play). IMO, with 3 good standard central midfielders (Grant, Easton, Kane) we should stick with the 4-3-3. In addition, some new players to increase the strength of the squad. Hopefully stick with some of the promising young players too (Woodyard, Asante, Crawford, Nesbitt, Bentley (?) Smith (?) etc.

Assuming we keep Sawyer, Coughlan, Prosser (?), and ditch Evans, Herd, Gilbert (?), Phillips, Bouzid, Soares, Comminges, Sturrock we will be left with a squad size of 20 (including the 2/3 new first-teamers) and would, effectively, be looking for a reserve right back and another forward player who fits the 4-3-3- system.

Simples! :smile:

Totally agree that we have the makings of a decent side, once the team gelled after xmas but before the injuries kicked in we showed we could match most teams in the division and were a playoff quality side. However our total lack of depth cost us dear.

Agree with most of the 'players to keep' lists. Would say i think Blair, Coughlan, Clohessey are good squad players and worth keeping around. Sawyer should be kept also, esp. if Grant leaves.

Mohsni is a question mark for me though. I love Bilel as much as the next man, his enthusiasm is infectious & gives everthing. However his best qualities are also his downfall, his all or nothing style means he misses more matches through injury & suspension than he plays. I'd be tempted to sell if a good offer comes in.

Miss McCormack do we?

Everyone was saying at the beginning of the season they would be happy to just exist this time. Not only do we still exist we are safe and flirted at times with the play offs.

As said above this team was thrown together in a rush and to have brought in 15 players in such short time mid table is hardly a shameful result.

If we do manage to keep the better players and avoid more financial problems (a massive IF!) then we have something to build on for next year, which is better than we had this season.

Back