• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the objectors have started

Firestorm

Pedant
I meanyt to post this the other day.
The letters to the echo have already started, Usual thing the traffic will be awful if there is a stadium built, it could delay the fire brigade and "hearses going to the crematorium"
rock.gif

Usual illinformed bolleaux , were are talking 2 hours max 26 times a year, thats 52 hours a year or 8 1/2 Minutes a day !!! of bad traffic, which will not be an increase but merely a transfer from Victoria Avenue (which delays Ambulances, who are in a hurry BOTH ways on their Journey unlike the fire engines) (And Cremations never conflict with football (9.30-5.30 Mon-Fri exc bank holidays)

Ahh, i was waiting until the usual letters of disapproval began to rain in...

I'd love to know what people think they achieve by moaning non-stop about subjects they have very little comprehension of. If anything, the Park and Ride facility that will more than likely come with the stadium IMPROVE traffic around that area?
And isn't a relief road planned coming off of Shopland road anyway?

I cant wait to see the dual carriageway being built on top of those swampies making arses of themselves, and more importantly milking everyones tax money while acting like f%&king tarzan and janes up amongst the trees of Priory Crescent.... these are the sort of people that send in these stupid letters..

When that is built I will be a very happy man.

I thought that section of improvement was questionable because of the sheer cost? Heard on Essex FM a few weeks back the cost of the project had rocketed to around £30k per metre of road.

Still, it will relief traffic around that area so much and will be greatly beneficial. Pity The Children of Mother Earth at Camp Bling (which is rapidly turning into a glorified eyesore of wood and tarpaulin) can't see it that way.

Expect some more rare newts or birds to appear out of nowhere on FF...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 22 2006,14:59)]I meanyt to post this the other day.
The letters to the echo have already started, Usual thing the traffic will be awful if there is a stadium built, it could delay the fire brigade and "hearses going to the crematorium"
rock.gif

Usual illinformed bolleaux , were are talking 2 hours max 26 times a year, thats 52 hours a year or 8 1/2 Minutes a day !!! of bad traffic, which will not be an increase but merely a transfer from Victoria Avenue (which delays Ambulances, who are in a hurry BOTH ways on their Journey unlike the fire engines) (And Cremations never conflict with football (9.30-5.30 Mon-Fri exc bank holidays)
the only thing that might be a problem is the additional facilities that come with the stadium i.e the suggested food and shoppig outlets to gain extra revenue. This will obviously increase more consistant traffic flows. However, I totally agree with your point, cremations? Stinks of desperation.

A Traffic Assessment (required as part of the planning application) is probably being prepared as we speak (perhaps already complete) for the proposed development to demonstrate that it will be sustainable in terms of traffic flows etc.

I believe the general gist of them is to say more traffic, less conjestion!?

We get letters objecting in our paper almost every day.
A traffic assessment was done and came out in favor of the club.
People are now objecting to the method of the assessment.

Super Steve in his souped up Subaru v Farmer Phil in his knackered ol' tractor.

NO CONTEST!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 22 2006,14:59)]I meanyt to post this the other day.
rock.gif

I think if you are going to argue against these idiots, the arguments needs to be better. Saying that it is only 8.5 minutes of bad traffic a day is not the way to look at it. After all, the match traffic won't be there daily, it will there for about 2 hours per match day.

Surely the better argument is that the traffic will now not be competing with the town centre traffic on a Saturday afternoon, thus spreading the traffic, so we have more smaller amounts of traffic rather than one huge mess.

The argument about fire engines is also ridiculous, because at the moment the traffic caused by football reduces response times for the police. So, by moving the traffic away from Victoria Avenue, we make the police more productive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think if you are going to argue against these idiots, the arguments needs to be better. Saying that it is only 8.5 minutes of bad traffic a day is not the way to look at it. After all, the match traffic won't be there daily, it will there for about 2 hours per match day.

Surely the better argument is that the traffic will now not be competing with the town centre traffic on a Saturday afternoon, thus spreading the traffic, so we have more smaller amounts of traffic rather than one huge mess.

The argument about fire engines is also ridiculous, because at the moment the traffic caused by football reduces response times for the police. So, by moving the traffic away from Victoria Avenue, we make the police more productive.

That would shut KARERS up! my uncle who work at Southend Council said that the Council is 100% behind the Southend Stadium plan, its better to get their backing than not at all - Ask Barnet FC who have problem with their Council.

I can't see a problem. One of the major problems for Roots Hall is park, and the fact the entrance is along a main road, which caused congestion,

where as the new stadium will be tucked away a little bit, with better access to the ground.

People cant seem to understand how much money a new stadium would bring to the town and club. with more away supporters comming down, then they are spending money in our local business ect, and also the fact that the new stadium would create loads of new jobs for people in the area.

The more people to the town , spending money on local businesses argument will not really hold water with the development taking place out of town. The only businesses which will benefit (apart from SUFC) are going to be those around the stadium, which are more than likely to be chains which can't be classed as local.

True a small number may stay down for the weekend but I don't think that will be significant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 27 2006,09:36)]The more people to the town , spending money on local businesses argument will not really hold water with the development taking place out of town. The only businesses which will benefit (apart from SUFC) are going to be those around the stadium, which are more than likely to be chains which can't be classed as local.

True a small number may stay down for the weekend but I don't think that will be significant.
I think the people that own the fish and chip shop near the ground should eb given first choice of retail plot!

I certainly think a Matchday shop with the Fish house having the franchise would benefit both parties, TFH would not lose all of its matchday revenue and the club would pick up some income off the back of TFH's fine reputation.
I don't think a full time chippy would work as one of the retail outlets.
Despite planning permission already being turned down for a Pizza hut I would expect it to be a TGI's type of place, A pub would be good but again for the location it would need to be a "Strawberry Fields" type of boozer, as the food will be where the non matchday money will be

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 22 2006,14:59)][it could delay] "hearses going to the crematorium"
rock.gif
Yeah, of course, 'cos hearses positively zoom along when going to the crematorium!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 27 2006,15:46)]I certainly think a  Matchday shop with the Fish house having the franchise would benefit both parties
That's not a bad idea...

Could work with the Spread running a bar on site and A. N. Other local caterer running the food outlets - not sure if there's a local fast food joint that does good food (an alternative to the Fish Bar - which should also have a couple of outlets in the stands)?

Club gets a flat fee from the operators and they have to worry about staffing/selling edible stuff we want to buy. Everyone's a winner!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve_Clubshop @ Mar. 27 2006,01:02)]I can't see a problem. One of the major problems for Roots Hall is park, and the fact the entrance is along a main road, which caused congestion,

where as the new stadium will be tucked away a little bit, with better access to the ground.
Better access?? Roots Hall is actually one of the better grounds to get away from after a match and if you get there at a reasonable time it is easy to find street parking. It is also well served by scheduled bus services and local rail station. Our new ground will have limited matchday parking and limited bus services.

Even after the Yeovil home game last season I was back home in 30 mins. It took over an hour to get out of the car park at Bournemouth yesterday. where did all the parking stewards go that were around before the kick-off. Even the coaches were held up in the traffic.

Most new grounds have a car park that has one entrance and one exit and can take an age to get out of. Swansea has no car park and no street parking next to the ground, unless you can walk to their new ground you have to use a park and ride car park some way from the ground.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Mar. 22 2006,14:26)]I cant wait to see the dual carriageway being built on top of those swampies making arses of themselves, and more importantly milking everyones tax money while acting like f%&king tarzan and janes up amongst the trees of Priory Crescent...
Trust me, leave it to me. I've been planning a massive attack on their position that even the SAS would be proud of.

You see, if they are attacted with a full frontal assault, they can't retreat. Well, they can, but only into the daft O'clock express to Liverpool St.

All that's needed is approx 15 men. One man (3 in total) would be needed to stop any potential traffic getting in the way. To that end, I'd place one man in the road by the Aldi, one man by Cuckoo Corner, and another on the slip road onto Eastern Avenue (you know, the one parallel to the park).

Now this leaves 12 men. Or 3 fireteams. The simple way of doing this is meeting in the Park at stupid O'clock in the morning for a few silent rehearsals, walk thru talk thrus etc, and then advancing over the fence of the park just before dawn.

The first fireteam, we'l call it Bravo for now, will take the flank where the car dealer is. Charlie Team take centre stage, and Delta will take the opposite side to Bravo. Note though, that Bravo and Delta wouldn't be directly opposite each other, as this would mean that a blue on blue would be highly likely. They wold be at a very slght angle, so that the direction of fire would be towards the Supermarket/carwash. On hearing the word's 'On my signal, unleash hell' all members of the multiple would then take the safety catch off, and then when the first shamoolie* goes off, would avance forth, kill the enemy and fight through to re-org. The attack is simple. The fireteams, which would then be broken into pairs, would fight through and clear each of their stupid little huts. One pair would provide covering fire/ protection whist the other pair clear the huts.

Once complete, the re org would occur in the corner of the site, by the rail bridge, in all round defence waiting for the heli arrive to evac us out of there.

*Shamoolie- like a flare, in that it lights up the sky, this can be fired by one of the blokes stopping traffic.

P.S. This would be done with paintballs, obviously.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ April 03 2006,21:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Mar. 22 2006,14:26)]I cant wait to see the dual carriageway being built on top of those swampies making arses of themselves, and more importantly milking everyones tax money while acting like f%&king tarzan and janes up amongst the trees of Priory Crescent...
Trust me, leave it to me. I've been planning a massive attack on their position that even the SAS would be proud of.

You see, if they are attacted with a full frontal assault, they can't retreat. Well, they can, but only into the daft O'clock express to Liverpool St.

All that's needed is approx 15 men. One man (3 in total) would be needed to stop any potential traffic getting in the way. To that end, I'd place one man in the road by the Aldi, one man by Cuckoo Corner, and another on the slip road onto Eastern Avenue (you know, the one parallel to the park).

Now this leaves 12 men. Or 3 fireteams. The simple way of doing this is meeting in the Park at stupid O'clock in the morning for a few silent rehearsals, walk thru talk thrus etc, and then advancing over the fence of the park just before dawn.

The first fireteam, we'l call it Bravo for now, will take the flank where the car dealer is. Charlie Team take centre stage, and Delta will take the opposite side to Bravo. Note though, that Bravo and Delta wouldn't be directly opposite each other, as this would mean that a blue on blue would be highly likely. They wold be at a very slght angle, so that the direction of fire would be towards the Supermarket/carwash. On hearing the word's 'On my signal, unleash hell' all members of the multiple would then take the safety catch off, and then when the first shamoolie* goes off, would avance forth, kill the enemy and fight through to re-org. The attack is simple. The fireteams, which would then be broken into pairs, would fight through and clear each of their stupid little huts. One pair would provide covering fire/ protection whist the other pair clear the huts.

Once complete, the re org would occur in the corner of the site, by the rail bridge, in all round defence waiting for the heli arrive to evac us out of there.

*Shamoolie- like a flare, in that it lights up the sky, this can be fired by one of the blokes stopping traffic.

P.S. This would be done with paintballs, obviously.  
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I see you are enjoying military life, Steve. Now as an ex member of teenie weenie airways,

1. I never did stupid O'Clock.

2. Dawn? What??

3. Don't stop the traffic, that involves standing and giving orders. We rarely did standing. Orders? What??

4. This situation can easily be resolved by a variation on the Army Air Corps Pheasant Hunting technique. This is:
i} Fly around over a crop field while your observer looks for a Pheasant.
ii} Come to a low hover over the Pheasant.
iii} Observer leaps from heli, grabs Pheasant which is pinned to ground by downwash, and wrings Pheasant's neck*

In the case of the encampment, hovering over the tents and huts for a few minutes should effectively remove them. If anyone wants to take advantage of the confusion to dart in and wring a few necks, that is obviously up to them, but is clearly too much bother for our noble Air Corps combatants.

*At the going rate for running a helicopter and crew, this made each Pheasant considerably more expensive than caviar. Thank you taxpayers, you were good to us....

if i lived there i would be pleased to have it on my front door.
People of Southend should think what a great team they have got and what good it is doing for the Community.

Back