• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BedfordShrimper

Memorabilia Geek⭐
Morning All !
Sorry if this has been done before in another thread. Im not sure if it has.

I was wondering if anyone on here had any old pics/images of the old South Terrace in all its 72 step glory ?!?!

I never made it to a match at the Hall when this beast was in place. I often wish i was older so i could have been at the Liverpool Cup game. I have seen some images of this old terrace but not that many seem to exist ?
I have purhcased old match programmes from the 70's and 80's with the hope of seeing some pics but the photographer always seemed to be at the South end picturing towards the North Stand.

Anyway, hope you dont mind me starting a thread as a newbie but would be awesome if there were any pictures amongst the Zone.

I have a book Southend United Chronicles.A century of local press reports.A photograph of the south terrace,not exactly heaving with supporters,is on page 244

The first games I went to Roots hall were around 1980, strangely I have no recollection of the southbank when it was massive.

The first games I went to Roots hall were around 1980, strangely I have no recollection of the southbank when it was massive.

Ditto, other than being mid-80s.

I've had a quick skim through that guy's photos and can recognise the North Bank, the West Stand and the East Stand but annoyingly he's taken his photos from the South Bank!

Cheers Napster. Great Pic that one !
Looking through Groundtastic twitter is depressing as well as interesting. Seeing other clubs old grounds when they had so much character ! :sad: All new grounds look the same nowadays just with different colour seats !

Heres a good pic ive found.

2010-09-16_33.jpg

I remember going in the late 60's to my first matches, i always stood on the south bank,right at the front leaning on the wall next to the goal,thinking back it must have been an awful view of everything apart from that goal!

I used to stand up there in the 60's, a great view from the top step, nasty in the rain though. I saw the 2 68 FA cup games from up there Brentwood 10-1 and 9-0 Kings Lynn

*Sigh*, another excuse to pull out the pic of Stuart Parker with me and my sister at the Open Day in August 1976, my favourite kit, Neil Townsend's thighs and the South Bank in the background :winking: It went level to the top of the East Stand roof.

3341_1154475059020_6235622_n.jpg

*Sigh*, another excuse to pull out the pic of Stuart Parker with me and my sister at the Open Day in August 1976, my favourite kit, Neil Townsend's thighs and the South Bank in the background :winking: It went level to the top of the East Stand roof.

That was a great kit. One of my favs as well. First time on the South Bank was against Bradford City for a birthday treat in 1976. My aunt took me with her then boyfriend, a surly scot soldier who was more interested in getting in her knickers than watching Southend with her snotty nosed nephew. That was the match when one of the Bradford hoards who desended on Roots Hall that cold November night ( from memory about 7 of them) nicked one of my hotdogs. Just about the only thing that made the Jock romeo crack a smile all night. Last laugh to me though, I'm pretty sure that was the one I had sneezed on earlier and we won 4-1

It was great. Held 13,500 in it's pomp before health and safety regs. Not that it was needed. Only time I ever saw it remotely full was that game against Wolves, 1-0 win in 1986 I think.

*Sigh*, another excuse to pull out the pic of Stuart Parker with me and my sister at the Open Day in August 1876, my favourite kit, Neil Townsend's thighs and the South Bank in the background :winking: It went level to the top of the East Stand roof.

Amazed they had color photography in those days

the south bank was more impressive than the photo shows,always a good view,nice top see brother grimms "shed" in the back ground.also next to it was the clock:scoreboard,which if i remember correctly,broke down the first game it was used!! also i have got that shirt hanging on my wall here in germany,but no 9,parkers. biffos got one as well...happy days:smile:.which one are you?obl!!!

Wonderful pic! I was there on that open day in 1976. We put a golf tee in the wall on the side of the East Bank (at the time with Paddock) ...and the tee is still there to this day. Painted blue.
The South Bank was impressive for it size and the steep gradient.

Great pic OBL. I have fond memories of the old South. Most of the time we'd pay the additional for transferring into the West unless it was warm and sunny. Two turnstiles just to go and watch a game of football plus a programme including and additional 5p I think for League magazine

Back