• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The passing of a legend - Christopher Hitchens

RIP sir, I salute you with a limerick what I just done.

There was a man called Hitchen,
Who lived in a very old kitchen,
The kitchen was cold,
and full of green mould,
But really it's fungi and litchen.

It's weird how so many people are saying RIP, traditionally a line from a Catholic prayer. St Peter says.... 'no'!

To be honest ive never heard of the ex living god that is Mr H but thanks to a video posted by Smudger i now love this man and all he stood for and the way he dissed the cults of religon.
I am a very simple man/unoch but i respect the cleverness of Mr H and the way he put his views across.
Indeed R.I.P and feck what your so called st peter thinks.

It was extremly good . talking not only about dying but also the attitudes we have towards it. Mind you Kim Jong Ill gone today as well so evened out a little there.

Wow - do you actually know what happens to us after we die?

Not through personal experience yet ,though I think there is enough evidence around for all of us to avoid an unpleasant surprise after we do.

Back on topic, aside from Christopher Hitchens myopic view of religion, I found him an interesting person. He seemed to have some similarities to George Orwell in that though he came from the left, he was a fierce critic of the hypocrisy of many on the left.
I think he would have had a very different reaction to Jeremy Clarkson's recent nonsense on strikers than much of the sanctimious garbage we had to endure from the left on that subject

Saw the full version of the Paxman interview with him last night.For all his faults,he was a courageous and a highly intelligent man.

I didn't see the Newsnight interview (hope Pantsdown wasn't on again) but I think you make a good summary of Hitchens. One of the interesting things about him was he was unpredictable in his opinions and his friendships

Not through personal experience yet ,though I think there is enough evidence around for all of us to avoid an unpleasant surprise after we do.

Back on topic, aside from Christopher Hitchens myopic view of religion, I found him an interesting person. He seemed to have some similarities to George Orwell in that though he came from the left, he was a fierce critic of the hypocrisy of many on the left.
I think he would have had a very different reaction to Jeremy Clarkson's recent nonsense on strikers than much of the sanctimious garbage we had to endure from the left on that subject

I didn't see the Newsnight interview (hope Pantsdown wasn't on again) but I think you make a good summary of Hitchens. One of the interesting things about him was he was unpredictable in his opinions and his friendships

A pity you didn't see it.Hitch re-affirmed his Marxist belief in the Dialetic and Historical Materialism.

Not sure you could accuse him of having a myoptic few of religion . He was a man for detail and research so he knew extensivly of what he critisied.Also he reviwed his own beliefs and changed them after consideration unlike many .

Back