• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Rob Noxious Retro Radio Show

Bit of a treat for any Graham Parker fans (steveo and Firestorm, I'm talking to you) out there on this Saturday's show ... just discovered an interview with the great man from '92 which is just about playable in parts. Tune in for another slice of Retro from 11am on http://www.thesourcefm.co.uk/listen and you'll be a groovy funker. :cool:

This week's show will be a featuring a pantheon of punk and post-punk performers plus a snippet from the late, great John Peel introducing The Damned from his 'Punk Rock Special' in December '76. Tom Robinson also talks about the days when the world turned dayglo and there's a special treat for Rolf Harris fans too - not 'Two Little Boys' though. Tune in to:- http://www.thesourcefm.co.uk/listen this Saturday from 11am-1pm where I'll be doing my darnedest to keep it retro. :thumbsup:

how can we avid fans of the great great great shrimpero either on film or in print or on the airwaves or following every word on here keep it retro when this thread has nothing at all to do with phone hacking?.

how can we avid fans of the great great great shrimpero either on film or in print or on the airwaves or following every word on here keep it retro when this thread has nothing at all to do with phone hacking?.

Keep taking the Frosties, Tiger Tone - and I'll do the worrying about keeping it retro. :thumbsup:

Any chance of a modern fangled podcast Rob?

Paul, you do know who you're talking to?! :hilarious:

I don't know if that link on the signature below is in the territory you're talking about, but it will get you the debut show. Hoping to have last week's one accessible via this format once The Producer truncates it into downloadable MP3 segments. In the meantime, I'm keeping it retro ... just been up in The Attic Studios this afternoon to finalise the batting order and boy, have we got some punk classics on the show tomorrow! :happy:

Up against the wall and Rolf Harris too.:dizzy:
(As it happens I read an interview with Lloyd Cole-who you also featured-in EL Pais the other day(he was playing at the Porta Ferrada Festival in San Feliu on the Costa Brava,where we're off to see Mavis Staples tomorrow).Anyway, he says he does all his own bookings for flights,hotels these days to save costs.Makes sense.He was big back in 84 when I saw him in Barna).

Up against the wall and Rolf Harris too.:dizzy:
(As it happens I read an interview with Lloyd Cole-who you also featured-in EL Pais the other day(he was playing at the Porta Ferrada Festival in San Feliu on the Costa Brava,where we're off to see Mavis Staples tomorrow).Anyway, he says he does all his own bookings for flights,hotels these days to save costs.Makes sense.He was big back in 84 when I saw him in Barna).

Funny you should say that - I got the bus to the show today. And to 'Helstonbury' after. :winking:

Greetings, groovers! Here's the link to part one of the second show ... http://i.mixcloud.com/CbxPx ... where I managed to link Noddy Holder's misery about Wolves' plight to one of our great matches against them in '87. Remember where Richard Cadette turned Ally Brown and crossed for Lingy to head the crucial goal that was so important in putting us up at their expense? Thanks for the memory, as Slade once sang. Keep it retro!

'Thank You For The Days'

Special mentions for the Pier (via Procol Harum - 'Shine On Brightly') here ... http://i.mixcloud.com/CcQIP ... and a nod towards BarnaBlue's stories about The Paramounts ... plus Kursaal gigs reminiscences via Eddie & The Hot Rods. Keep it seaside Retro! :thumbsup:

A real treat for film fans on this week's show as the legendary movie-maker Buttz Yoddles will be my special guest live in the studio. We'll be talking about Buttz's impending blockbuster, 'Alvin Sawdust & The Crabs From Uranus,' as well as his love of Rolf Harris and some exciting new projects that the old rascal has up his sleeve. I'm going to sneak in a dedication to The Blues for the new season too - all this plus lots of retro. How much excitement can you take in one show?! I'm feeling moist already ... tune into 'The Rob Noxious Retro Radio Show' on http://www.thesourcefm.co.uk/listen from 11am-1pm this Saturday. You know it makes sense. :unsure:

"It's a Drive-in Saturday ..."

Greetings, groovers! It's a Bowie special this Saturday from 11am-1pm on http://www.thesourcefm.co.uk/listen as I've got the thin white one's Stage Manager from the Ziggy days in the studio with me. Ian Oliver was the 'Astronet' referred to in Drive-in Saturday and should have some good stories about the days of Stardust and Spiders. His mate Tim Healy (from 'Auf Wiedershen, Pet') may join us too, so I'll try to stop them getting all lovey on us. Keep it Retro! :thumbsup:

Greetings, groovers! It's a Bowie special this Saturday from 11am-1pm on http://www.thesourcefm.co.uk/listen as I've got the thin white one's Stage Manager from the Ziggy days in the studio with me. Ian Oliver was the 'Astronet' referred to in Drive-in Saturday and should have some good stories about the days of Stardust and Spiders. His mate Tim Healy (from 'Auf Wiedershen, Pet') may join us too, so I'll try to step them getting all lovey on us. Keep it Retro! :thumbsup:

That's showtime tomorrow(20 August)I take it?:dim:
(If so, some members of your Spanish fan club will be listening in).

Our Tunes: The Who - I'm A Boy

Greetings, groovers! I'd like to introduce a new slot on my show soon and for this, I owe a great debt to Simon Bates for making 'Our Tune' so special all those years ago. I remember hearing stories of how big burly lorry-drivers would have to pull over to the hard shoulder when 'Our Tune' came on Simes' show and how they'd be weeping into their bacon butties as the great drama around the song unfolded. I recently asked my listeners to send in some 'Our Tunes' that I can play for them on my show. So, here's a special thank you to Lugwin S. Loggins, from Binfield, for this unusual tale of playground strife in the sixties ...

Lugwin grew up without ever really knowing his father as he died when he was very young. As a consequence, his mother Elsie had perhaps more influence over his development than what was usually considered normal. Elsie once confided to Lugwin that she had really wanted a girl seeing as Lugwin had two older brothers. Now that Lugwin's Dad was not around to give Elsie her wish, Elsie became desperate and she started dressing Lugwin up in skirts and blouses to go to school in and encouraged him to grow his hair long so that she could tie it into pig-tails before she sent him off with his dinner-money.

Now this was the sixties and it was a time of great social change. However, the children at Binfield Hall Infants' School were not quite ready to embrace Lugwin's new feminine side and he'd always be overlooked when it came to picking the football teams in the playground. Lugwin would be the last boy standing when the teams were selected and he'd traipse off in his ballet shoes to join his team-mates who'd already been laughing and joking ready to start the game. Now this made Lugwin very angry and he'd get into vicious playground fights when other boys would call him names.The teachers on playground duty were always surprised to be breaking up the fights where it looked like one of the girls was beating up one of the boys. Although he can smile about it now, Lugwin thought it was terrible back then especially as things didn't change until Elsie was asked to change her ways by Lugwin's teacher.

Lugwin says that whenever he plays this record now though, he still likes to try on one of Elsie's wigs to remember the feelings from the old days. He also has a tattoo with Elsie's name on his right arm as a reminder of how her influence helped to toughen him up. So, this one's for Lugwin and any girl-boys who "wanna come home all covered in mud." Here's The Who with 'I'm A Boy' ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_eSW6D6sc

Send in your tunes too, good folk of SZ. I know I've got a few from the 'Daydream Believer' thread, which I hope to use when I'm back on air from late September. Keep it retro! :thumbsup:

Greetings, groovers! I'd like to introduce a new slot on my show soon and for this, I owe a great debt to Simon Bates for making 'Our Tune' so special all those years ago. I remember hearing stories of how big burly lorry-drivers would have to pull over to the hard shoulder when 'Our Tune' came on Simes' show and how they'd be weeping into their bacon butties as the great drama around the song unfolded. I recently asked my listeners to send in some 'Our Tunes' that I can play for them on my show. So, here's a special thank you to Lugwin S. Loggins, from Binfield, for this unusual tale of playground strife in the sixties ...

Lugwin grew up without ever really knowing his father as he died when he was very young. As a consequence, his mother Elsie had perhaps more influence over his development than what was usually considered normal. Elsie once confided to Lugwin that she had really wanted a girl seeing as Lugwin had two older brothers. Now that Lugwin's Dad was not around to give Elsie her wish, Elsie became desperate and she started dressing Lugwin up in skirts and blouses to go to school in and encouraged him to grow his hair long so that she could tie it into pig-tails before she sent him off with his dinner-money.

Now this was the sixties and it was a time of great social change. However, the children at Binfield Hall Infants' School were not quite ready to embrace Lugwin's new feminine side and he'd always be overlooked when it came to picking the football teams in the playground. Lugwin would be the last boy standing when the teams were selected and he'd traipse off in his ballet shoes to join his team-mates who'd already been laughing and joking ready to start the game. Now this made Lugwin very angry and he'd get into vicious playground fights when other boys would call him names.The teachers on playground duty were always surprised to be breaking up the fights where it looked like one of the girls was beating up one of the boys. Although he can smile about it now, Lugwin thought it was terrible back then especially as things didn't change until Elsie was asked to change her ways by Lugwin's teacher.

Lugwin says that whenever he plays this record now though, he still likes to try on one of Elsie's wigs to remember the feelings from the old days. He also has a tattoo with Elsie's name on his right arm as a reminder of how her influence helped to toughen him up. So, this one's for Lugwin and any girl-boys who "wanna come home all covered in mud." Here's The Who with 'I'm A Boy' ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_eSW6D6sc

Send in your tunes too, good folk of SZ. I know I've got a few from the 'Daydream Believer' thread, which I hope to use when I'm back on air from late September. Keep it retro! :thumbsup:

Poetic licence I assume?:winking:
I doubt if Elsie(aka Kit)would ever have done such a thing.
Also, I remember you as being a pretty good footballer as a kid, so can hardly imagine you having to wait to be picked last. The last part rather beggar's belief too.:hilarious:

Back