• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Well it's fairly simple really, it is YOU!

It is however worth explaining to all where we are now.

In the past 2 years we have nearly trebled the amount of members that use the Zone and this has now caused us to face up to the fact our server space is to small.....Recent issues with crashes and tables collapsing has brought this to a head.

We have always been part of a shared server with others and this was fine when we had 4 to 5 hundred visits a day, this is no longer the case and the current set-up cannot handle the new figures.We regularly get 8 to 900 members visits a day now and that is without guests/bots and spiders crawling the site.

To this end our Data and Web files have to be split and this can only be done on a dedicated server.We have looked at various ways to sort this and after a great deal of discussion we will in the near future (for you Techy's out there) be running on a dedicated setup with 14GB ram and 300GB SAS hard drives with Cloud.

We are therefore in the process of a major change with the site, but unfortunately this does not come cheap. This was and still is one of the reasons we are always looking at new donations and fund raising ideas. To give you some idea the current server costs us about £800 a year, the new one will cost over double this coming in at £1800 PA.

We had the option to dump a lot of our old data but that was something we did not want to do as we felt it was a backward step for the site.We have no choice in this if we wish to take the site forward and have taken the decision to make sure whatever we changed to would keep us in good stead for the foreseeable future.

People often ask us "What does it cost to run the site" and we have always been open with members about this..if you take into account the costs of the new server set-up, the vB license and upgrades, the accountants fees and general costs, our total running costs stand at about 2.8-3k PA.

We are one of the biggest sites outside of the Prem clubs and are admired from afar, not only on vB forums (They have 200,000 forums that use vB software) but by other teams for the way this site is run and the success of it.

I hope this helps all members to understand the costs of running The Zone and why we have to at times ask for your help. Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have and do not forget to use the Green donate button in the Nav bar whenever you have a few pounds to spare.

(On behalf of the Owners of ShrimperZone.com)

John.

My life would be more boring without you all :thumbsup:

Question: Why did you not want to dump a lot of the old data? A lot of the stuff (especially in the Pub) is just junk.

My life would be more boring without you all :thumbsup:

Question: Why did you not want to dump a lot of the old data? A lot of the stuff (especially in the Pub) is just junk.

We would of had to have been very selective as a lot of the old stuff is still very useful and to trawl through it all would of taken forever.

John massive end of season SZ party needed with all proceeds going to the new server!!

Tickets
Raffles
Collection Bucket

Lets get planning now a SZ and TZ end of season bash - and now we have the spread under good onwership this is the perfect time!

Is there a way yet to pay a regular monthly amount? Via the green button is for one off donations, right? I think subscription/regular payments have to be set up your end? I'd happily set one up...

John massive end of season SZ party needed with all proceeds going to the new server!!

Tickets
Raffles
Collection Bucket

Lets get planning now a SZ and TZ end of season bash - and now we have the spread under good onwership this is the perfect time!

Thanks Scott, that is a great idea and we put you in charge now :smiles:

Is there a way yet to pay a regular monthly amount? Via the green button is for one off donations, right? I think subscription/regular payments have to be set up your end? I'd happily set one up...

I think for those that wish to set up a regular donation it would be better to do it by DD..I will ask Ken to look into this and get in contact with you and anybody else that wishes to do this.

I would just like to add a big thanks to our Sponsors and to those of you that have donated to the Zone in the past.

Firstly, this is a fantastic site!

Secondly, I really think streamlining is your best option for future expansion (if that makes sense).

As a few have already alluded to probably 80% of the site doesn’t get looked at much. Personally I use ‘Shrimpers Chit-Chat’ and occasionally the thread on the new stadium. That’s about it, but I do use those threads a lot…

In addition, to help me get to where I want to go to easier I’d like to see a link direct to ‘Chit-Chat’ on every single page. This would prevent a lot of people tracking back to the main forum link all the time. A lot of the time members only ever post on the main chit-chat board, even if there is a more relevant board within your forum for the post. This is almost certainly because the poster thinks (rightly so) it will get a wider response in chit-chat. I’m sure it’s quite time consuming for mods to keep moving these around also.

To sum it up – I think you can be a lot more efficient with what you have. Still a great site regardless!

Firstly, this is a fantastic site!

Secondly, I really think streamlining is your best option for future expansion (if that makes sense).

As a few have already alluded to probably 80% of the site doesn’t get looked at much. Personally I use ‘Shrimpers Chit-Chat’ and occasionally the thread on the new stadium. That’s about it, but I do use those threads a lot…

In addition, to help me get to where I want to go to easier I’d like to see a link direct to ‘Chit-Chat’ on every single page. This would prevent a lot of people tracking back to the main forum link all the time. A lot of the time members only ever post on the main chit-chat board, even if there is a more relevant board within your forum for the post. This is almost certainly because the poster thinks (rightly so) it will get a wider response in chit-chat. I’m sure it’s quite time consuming for mods to keep moving these around also.

To sum it up – I think you can be a lot more efficient with what you have. Still a great site regardless!

I take on board your points but over 16500 threads in "The Pub" alone would invalidate your argument somewhat. Even if people do not post in another Forum it does not mean they do not read it. The reason we have the other Forums is to give people a choice and to keep posts in their relative Forums.Most Forums are used by people all of the time and we wish to keep all options open for all members.Just because you only use 2 forums is of course your choice, but a lot more happens on this site than just SUFC chat. We have loads of "Quick Links" around the site and it is not that hard to navigate around. Regarding streamlining, we did talk about this a lot but the past as well as the current posts make this the site it has become.

Thanks for your input though and it is appreciated.

I'd be happy to pay a small monthly fee, got no issues with that

Thanks very much Danny, we do however not want this to be classed as a "fee" as we do not want to create a two tier system with members on here and rather it be classed as a regular "donation". I will ask Ken to contact you.

I think for those that wish to set up a regular donation it would be better to do it by DD..I will ask Ken to look into this and get in contact with you and anybody else that wishes to do this.

Cheers I'd be happy to do that if you have a bank account. Even if a few peeps stuck the cost of a pint a beer a month in, I guess it'd help. Keep me posted!

Tickets
Raffles
Collection Bucket

To go along with with, what about having a couple more SZ quizzes per season? Everyone loves a good quiz, do different subjects every time and be a good idea to get rid of some unwanted xmas/birthday/other gifts as well for the raffle!

Just another random idea!

Thanks very much Danny, we do however not want this to be classed as a "fee" as we do not want to create a two tier system with members on here and rather it be classed as a regular "donation". I will ask Ken to contact you.

Me too, happy to pay a small monthly fee.

Wes

How about a monthly prize draw for all those that make a donation?:thumbsup:

Back