• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
2 1/2 Weeks to go until the big kick off and we have 13 squad players... Now, I won't use Braintree as an excuse, mainly because I think the number of friendlies we've played in quick succession didn't help the performance, but whereas I think the team we have is capable of great things in this league, It's been made plainly obvious that the squad we have is not.

Whilst this is worrying, possibly the most worrying thing is the apparent drought of information, speculation and rumours regarding possible transfers. Whereas a large number of targets we tend to sign come out of the blue, there is almost always a steady stream of news on enquiries we've made and whether or not we are in talks with anybody.

This is the first pre-season where not only have I not heard anything myself or through speculation in the town and local press, but there's been extremely little on the usual sites regarding our movements in the transfer window. The only real, concrete evidence around that we've been in discussions is that Mulgrew publicly chose a return to Scotland over a permanent move here.

The faith remains in Tilson, he has time to bring the players in, but with absolutely no news seemingly surfacing, it doesn't look like any movement is on the horizon.

Cue the news of a Quadruple signing tomorrow morning. I hope.

I wonder if RM has read the riot act to SUFC employees about dropping hints and giving out information about possible transfers? What has always suprised me in the past has been the number of loose tongues that have apparently been wagging.

At least I hope so!

another thread criticising the club based on nothing but speculation...

a) we've signed 4 players, have enquired after others and had more on trial
b) Tilly and Brush have repeatedly said they're looking for players.

If there aren't as many 'names' coming out (and i'm not convinced that's the case- Keogh, Mulgrew, possibly Gillespie etc etc, plus noble, the chap from Peterborough, Clapham etc on trial), it could just as easily be that the club has decided to keep things quieter until deals are close or done- something you can hardly blame them for after the mess with Walker's initial signing last season.

I share your hope that we'll be bringing players in quickly, and agree that we badly need to. But unless you have anything concrete that suggests the club *haven't* been trying to do just that, there doesn't seem to be that much to talk about here?

That simply isn't true.

13 Players that Tilson thinks are capable and ready for first team football then. He's said it himself...

I don't mean this as a criticism of the club, it's merely something i've noticed this summer... Something that ties in, coincidentally or not, with the time that the squad is at it's smallest and most stretched.

to be honest the transfer window at the moment seems to be fairly quiet not alot of action this summer. Credit crunch hitting all the clubs this season? On a serious point though he transfer market is normally busier all round this time of year.

Last edited:
Two goalies on the bench will be handy just incase two keepers get injured. You can never be too careful.

Don't think it matters at all if Tilly et al down at the Hall aren't on the blower to the Echo conveying interest in all sorts of players. For if we then don't manage to get that player, the fans are more disappointed than if they didn't know of our interest initially.

Silence doesn't mean they aren't trying to get players in, far from it. It shows they are conducting their business in a proper manner: not unsettling any players and ruining good relations between us and other clubs by publicly declaring interest in their players. Uncle Ron is known to come on here and read the board from time to time, he must laugh seeing people in such a tizzy. I trust him that all is under control and plans for the coming season are in check. Although I would still like to know what went on with Chaz Mulgrew, but that's for another thread!

Tilly always claims he's only got 13 players to choose from.

Exactly.

We normally then go and have our best run for ages.

Whenever we have a large squad the team spirit is crap. A small, tightly knit squad is the way forward - its got us two promotions whilst our large squad only got us relegated.

We won the League 1 title with a squad of just about 17/18 players. So no need to panic at the moment. (I know we got very lucky that season with injuries/suspensions but just thought i would bring it up). I will be patient until 9th August. then I may start worrying about if no one comes through the door - or even worse others leave.

lance_corporal_jones.gif

Have faith!

13? Are you sure?

1 Mildenhalll
2 Joyce
3 Francis
4 Clarke
5 Barrett
6 Sankofa
7 Scannell
8 McCormack
9 Bailey
10 Mooose
11 Furlong
12 Barnard
13 Revell
14 Walker
15 Herd
16 Masters
NOT FORGETTING
17 Lokando
18 Ademeno
as well as a host of youngsters who are all looking to start pushing for places this season and could step into the fold (Henry, Lindie, etc)

Yes, we need to bolster the squad with four more signings but it's not as desperate as you make out. We have enough numbers to start the season, it's not like the bench is going to be empty!

And yes, Clarke and Bailey are transfer listed, but they're still here aren't they? Won't be going unless Ron knows Tilly can get a replacement in and that the offer for them is big enough.

13? Are you sure?

1 Mildenhalll
2 Joyce
3 Francis
4 Clarke
5 Barrett
6 Sankofa
7 Scannell
8 McCormack
9 Bailey
10 Mooose
11 Furlong
12 Barnard
13 Revell
14 Walker
15 Herd
16 Masters
NOT FORGETTING
17 Lokando
18 Ademeno
as well as a host of youngsters who are all looking to start pushing for places this season and could step into the fold (Henry, Lindie, etc)

That would make it 14 then!

You are not seriously considering that from Herd onwards these people are ready to be part of the first team hoping to push for promotion?

We are very thin on the ground again, and as Tilly says, we need AT LEAST 4-5 good players to give us a squad capable of dealing with the inevitable injuries/suspensions that will occour. I'm sure T&B are trying their best to resolve the situation however if the season started now we would be in serious trouble IMO

That would make it 14 then!

You are not seriously considering that from Herd onwards these people are ready to be part of the first team hoping to push for promotion?

We are very thin on the ground again, and as Tilly says, we need AT LEAST 4-5 good players to give us a squad capable of dealing with the inevitable injuries/suspensions that will occour. I'm sure T&B are trying their best to resolve the situation however if the season started now we would be in serious trouble IMO

And 2 of that 14 are Goalkeepers. So that is where the 13 probably comes from. Signings need to be made and quick otherwise we are in the $hite, big-scale.

13? Are you sure?

1 Mildenhalll
2 Joyce
3 Francis
4 Clarke
5 Barrett
6 Sankofa
7 Scannell
8 McCormack
9 Bailey
10 Mooose
11 Furlong
12 Barnard
13 Revell
14 Walker
15 Herd
16 Masters
NOT FORGETTING
17 Lokando
18 Ademeno

Yes, we need to bolster the squad with four more signings but it's not as desperate as you make out. We have enough numbers to start the season, it's not like the bench is going to be empty!

And yes, Clarke and Bailey are transfer listed, but they're still here aren't they? Won't be going unless Ron knows Tilly can get a replacement in and that the offer for them is big enough.

If you're being serious, your optimism knows no bounds...

There are 18 players there, 3 of which are goalkeepers, another 3 of which are youth team players with no more than 90 minutes first team football between them. That leaves 12 outfield players competing for 10 outfield positions... If you honestly believe thats suitable for a team that should be pushing for the play-offs then you're a braver man than me.

Im not getting into a flap before the season starts.

Just because we havent heard anything means nothing, there may be 5 players ready to sign in the next 48 hours, or there may be none. The club dont normally announce potential targets as when they have done they end up with egg on their faces or lose the player.

Look what happened when Walker was announced and it fell through, people on here were screaming for blood over their incompetence.

Running a Football Club is a thankless task, whatever they do they get slaughtered.

If come August 9th we have no team thats the time to complain, not now.

Back