• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The songs...time to vote ?

I've just cast my vote

It was a tough choice but Bridge Over Troubled Water just gets it ahead of Story of the Blues

When youre weary, feeling small,
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
Im on your side. when times get rough
And friends just cant be found,
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

When youre down and out,
When youre on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
Ill take your part.
When darkness comes
And pains is all around,
I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
Your time has come to shine.
All your dreams are on their way.
See how they shine.
If you need a friend
Im sailing right behind.
I will ease your mind.
I will ease your mind.

From responses on this post, it would appear that BOTW is still the popular choice. With any anthemic song you need to keep it simple so i would suggest to those in the driving seat that if this is chosen, it is limited to the first verse & chorus only. Perhaps this could be printed on A4 and made available at the turnstiles post PV game? Then arrange for the singer to encore the first verse only? Just a thought.........

I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

so its Bridge over troubled v. story of the blues then ??

Well at least you all agree with me about Blue Moon , great song but lets leave it with City .

It would be great if it was just a straight choice between these two, maybe the Blue Voice (which seems to have Uncle Ron's ear these days) could also recommend these two.

The points about "you'll never walk alone" and dare i say it, wet spam's "Bubbles" are spot on,. Easy lyrics and slightly slower pace does work well....it has to hoped that kids will grow up associating the song with the team and rousing renditions will be heard the length and breadth of the land (and europe one day !).

I also agree with fatshrimp, unless you have the vocal dexterity of Elvis , the Shrimp song should be left well alone .

And isn't "sailing" just a bit of an easy kop out, in that every club (including us) has had a version along the lines of "we are southend, we are southend , from the hall etc" its the same tune, so no originality .

Moyet is a hero and a true shrimper but i think even she would admit that reciting those lyrics after 5 pints of McNasty's finest could be a mission impossible .

So, "Bridge over troubled" or "story of the blues" a straight contest between the two . And if so, how do we convince the other few thousand who may vote that aren't zoners ?

Lets get those votes into commercial@southend-united.co.uk

Maybe just first and last........can you imagine, when the boys come out the tunnel on the 3rd of May and we are already in the Play offs......can you imagine singing the second verse...I think i would well up. Obviously the word Silvergirl would probably get changed to Southend

I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
See how they shine.
If you need a friend
Im sailing right behind.
I will ease your mind.
I will ease your mind.

Last edited:
Maybe just first and last........can you imagine, when the boys come out the tunnel on the 3rd of May and we are already in the Play offs......can you imagine singing the second verse...I think i would well up. Obviously the word Silvergirl would probably get changed to Southend

I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
See how they shine.
If you need a friend
Im sailing right behind.
I will ease your mind.
I will ease your mind.

Sure, i agree with the romantic view but practically, it's too much. Keep it as simple (and short) as possible, without losing the anthemic value and we have half a chance of making it work.....

Sure, i agree with the romantic view but practically, it's too much. Keep it as simple (and short) as possible, without losing the anthemic value and we have half a chance of making it work.....

And you have not even met me!!

I agree....I think the fine tunning will fall in to place but it is a great basis to build an anthem on that will live with the club for years to come

Botw?!rubbish. Story of the blues would be so much more uplifting than the all the other depressing dirges. Plus, i like the way pete wylie sings it like a karaoke star,

Story of the Blues

IMO this is a good song to be on the playlist for pre-match and/or half-time but not anything like anthem material.

Every club has a playlist pre-match and this would be superb for that.

Needs to be much slower, agree with the replies on this thread already.

Maybe the tune of BOTW with adaptation of words would be a good idea - as it is internationally/universally known and ticks many if not all of the boxes for a truly memorable anthem.

Whatever the club propose is not gospel.

Supporters will sing what they like, regardless of what the club want, or not.

IMO this is a good song to be on the playlist for pre-match and/or half-time but not anything like anthem material.

Every club has a playlist pre-match and this would be superb for that.

Needs to be much slower, agree with the replies on this thread already.

Maybe the tune of BOTW with adaptation of words would be a good idea - as it is internationally/universally known and ticks many if not all of the boxes for a truly memorable anthem.

Whatever the club propose is not gospel.

Supporters will sing what they like, regardless of what the club want, or not.

Best left alone in my opinion.

I've just cast my vote

It was a tough choice but Bridge Over Troubled Water just gets it ahead of Story of the Blues

I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

When youre down and out,
When youre on the street,
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you.
Ill take your part.
When darkness comes
And pains is all around,
I will lay me down.
I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
Sail on by.
See how they shine.
If you need a friend
Im sailing right behind.
I will ease your mind.
I will ease your mind.

Good effort, but think needs some more work upon.

and maybe only two verses so not too complex.

Simple but effective needed, so takes no memorising

Best left alone in my opinion.

So how does "when your down and out, when your on the street" come into the original version ??

The words mean nowt or have no connection with football or club so how can it bcome signaturised then to SUFC ??

This is the re-worked version of BOTW I put together a while back..

When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
WE will dry them all

WE'RE on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
I will lay me down
I will lay me down..

Sail on SOUTHEND,
Sail on by
OUR time has come to shine
And All OUR dreams are on their way

See how they shine
If you need a friend
WE'RE sailing right behind
WE will ease your mind
WE will ease your mind
WE will ease your miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnd

I am not so sure this is to be the Club Anthem ...is it not just a song they want the Blues idol winner to sing ?

Back