• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No thanks to a name change. We're fine named as we are.

How would you feel if, instead of the name of the club, the stadium was rebranded? Say, a millionaire owner came in, bought the club and guaranteed us not changing our name, built the stadium, got us promoted consecutively, and then on the cusp of promotion to the Prem, he sells the stadium's naming rights to some ridiculously named company, and suddenly we're playing at the "Dick Lovett Group" stadium? (legitimate company name - look it up!) Would you be content with this, as long as we remain Southend United?

How would you feel if, instead of the name of the club, the stadium was rebranded? Say, a millionaire owner came in, bought the club and guaranteed us not changing our name, built the stadium, got us promoted consecutively, and then on the cusp of promotion to the Prem, he sells the stadium's naming rights to some ridiculously named company, and suddenly we're playing at the "Dick Lovett Group" stadium? (legitimate company name - look it up!) Would you be content with this, as long as we remain Southend United?

As long as we weren't made a laughing stock (eg. StJamesPark@SportsDirect.com Arena) I wouldn't see an issue with it.

Couldnt care less what the stadium was called as long as it was built.

Thought about doing a poll for this earlier in the week but didn't get a chance.

Tinpot FakeTan takes over the club, Wants to change us to a Red and Gold home kit, our crest design to change, to be renamed "The Southend Shrimpers" and rights to the stadium name.

But in return we receive sustained Prem footy, big names, success, eventual cups and medals

I have to say, against what others will agree, but i'd take that! Give it 15 years and nobody would remember Southend United, especially all those asian people wearing their red and gold shrimp shirts :winking:

Not sure "Southend Shrimpers" would be more marketable in Asia :unsure:

Song for the Hull game:
"Eeny meeny miny moe
You're Hull Tigers now, ya know!
Assem Allam won't let it go.
Eeny meeny miny moe"

:tease:

I fear that's a bit too complex for our male voice choir in the West.

"Your just a bunch of pussy's" might stand more chance of getting an airing.

Gotta be Southend United our name.Its our identity.

If we got a four sided fossetts and steady championship football I'd be happy with Southend shrimpers or the like, but I'd draw the line at a complete name change and colour change ala Cardiff.

Wouldn't want a change but wouldn't chuck my toys out if it did happen. As other posters have said, once the owners have gone the name can get changed back - it's just a phase. The club is there throughout though.

What if it was called Fossetts Farm? :whistling:

Hmmm ... you might have something there.

As for naming the ground after a company, that's easy - just ignore it. When I go to Chesterfield, I go to the new Sheffield Road ground and at Newcastle visit St. James Park. Likewise I take no notice of the current name for the League Cup or the Leagues.

Weston homes community stadium them

They can call it Care in the Community Stadium as long as they build it !

I dont really care what its called, with Newcastle it was a little different as St James' Park has history, a new stadium wont. I remember Arsenal fans saying they would never call their new Stadium the Emirates and would always call it Ashburton Grove, but when it comes down to it its just a name.

I wouldnt care if we sold the naming rights for Roots Hall if it benefited as, it would still be Roots Hall to us anyway.

What about a colour change.Would fans be happy if we played in red after 109 years

We have actually changed our home kit colours a few times - started off in Sky Blue, regularly changed between Royal & Navy (Navy only beeing constant in the last 10 years or so), and have even been in all white & majority yellow (custard splat)!

Back