• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dazzaref

First XI⭐⭐
I've read in today's Metro the story of the two girls travelling to watch Burnley away at Barnsley when their car was involved in a serious accident. They were injured and hospitalised but still managed to get themselves to the ground to watch the remainder of the game.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/10/injur...lk-away-from-m1-smash-to-watch-match-4695531/

I wonder if anyone has similar stories of mishaps or incidents on the way to a Southend game and how you overcame it to get to see the match (or not!)?

On the way to Plymouth a few years ago. Me and my dad were going down the A303 and had a car crash, we wrote off our car and I was bleeding from my head, we had the car crushed and got to an enterprise. We rented a car and just about made it in time for kickoff

I went to Grimsby away (play off season) on crutches the day after a cruciate ligament operation. Dad and I went by train which involved about three trains from memory. Was drugged up on pain killers and couldn't drink.

Not only did we miss out on promotion Dad and I got offered out by some Grimsby lads at the station (I was on crutches and in plaster / Dad was in his late fifties). Still think we could have smashed them to be fair.

I was about fifteen years old and prior to attending some midweek game I had football training for the mighty southend manor.....during training I dislocated my thumb as well as fracturing it in a couple of places. ...the choice was A&E or roots hall...roots hall won...then during the second half danny o'shea smashed a ball into the still standing west bank....guess who the ball hit....yes me.
Went to hospital after game for treatment.

Rode my Kwak Gpz 600R to Newcastle for first away game of the season, got soaked, got beat 2 nil, rode all the way back to S O S the same day. Numb Bum..........or what! Epic.

Last edited:
In the early 80's saved up my Mars Bar wrappers to get a £1 National Express return journey to Glasgow to watch Southend in a pre-season friendy against Hamilton Academicals. Lost 4-0 and spent the game under the threat of violence from the Catholic Accies supporters who surrounded us for the entire game, as they objected to us displaying our SUFC Union flag. We survived and then got back on the coach for the long journey home. Why oh why do we do it?

Also, in 1984 travelled by train to see Walsall away with Prague Blue and another lad. We used his family railcard but got stopped at Birmingham New Street, thrown into a cell for four hours but caught the last few minutes of the game. Another 4-0 loss and a visit back up to court in Birmingham a few weeks later.

I was at work,someone opened the door when i was standing next to them, door hit me in face, had to have 3 stitches and huge plaster covering my left eye, day before southend game earlier on in the season. Looked like a bloody pirate, but we won so guess was worth it!

On at least 20 occasions in the last few years I've driven 4/5 hours in total to sit through 90 minutes of mindnumbing dross (in fact twice in the last fortnight!) But then I still do it again the next week....I'm not convinced I'm right in the head

On at least 20 occasions in the last few years I've driven 4/5 hours in total to sit through 90 minutes of mindnumbing dross (in fact twice in the last fortnight!) But then I still do it again the next week....I'm not convinced I'm right in the head
I am with you on that, which of us is?
Next away day for me, Fleetwood.......how far is that?

In the 1970s I went with a mate and my father -in-law to Darlington for season opener in my mate's car. Whilst I was driving up the A1 at Retford, the head gasket blew. Called the AA, car towed to local garage, HIRED another car in Retford, drove to the match. Arrived 20 minutes into the game, which we won 2-0. Took the train to Crewe, changed and got the night train to London, my mate's wife picked us up in her car, we narrowly missed a nasty accident in Whitechapel by swerving around a car. A week later hired a van, towed the broken car back to Southend to have repair effected. Reward was a stand ticket for the Grimsby home match which we LOST!!! Happy days! Keep the faith COYBB

We broke down on the way to the Doncaster play-off second leg in 2008. Yes, the 5-1 defeat! The exhaust fell off the car on the A1 and we had to go well off course to find a garage. Arrived at The Keepmoat 5 minutes late, which wasn't too bad, although we missed James Walker hit the bar...

I am reminded of the chap that used to post on here that had a few lagers before the Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup game and manage to fall over and roll through dog dirt.

He still made it to the game.

Back