• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Truth

We'll be back some way or another.

After the year that we have all just had relegation doesn't feel like the end of the world.

Agreed, however it does right now. Also with the severe lack of hope of us turning a corner with the current owner. Who knows how low we can go? It feels like every year the risk of us disappearing increases in his hands.

A night I never thought would happen in my 40 years of support has finally dawned.

I have been saying for the past 3-4 years that we were on a slippery slope to oblivion, it hurts to be proved right but not a suprise.

For many years now we have stopped being a community football club and have become a means to an end for a property developer. The only thing that had any focus was the new ground, everything else was an afterthought with countless rounds of 'due diligence' (don't make me laugh) landing the club in an ever worsening position and further financial repercussions through pay offs.

I'm sure RM never thought this would happen but to anyone with even half a footballing brain the writing has been on the wall for years. All he has achieved is to drag the name of our great club through the gutter with more winding up petitions than hot dinners and unpaid wages. The result being SUFC reduced to a joke of a club which no one in football wants to be anywhere near, unless they are desperate last chance saloon types, the sort of people that when they turn up to play for your Sunday League team are instantly of no use to your chances of winning a game.

This is what our club has been reduced to, and to be honest, I really don't think we're anywhere near the bottom of the barrel yet. My real fear now is that as the club is without it's football league status the ground is of no benefit to anyone. We could very likely end up with a tiny new tinpot ground and the rest, along with Roots Hall will be filled with housing, and our worst ever chariman walking away with all his dreams fulfilled, and all of ours smashed into a thousand jagged pieces....

Forever a Shrimper

I’ll be honest here. I feel very little for this club anymore. This relegation should sting but it doesn’t. This isn’t a new feeling though tbh. Ever since me and Em had our son 3.5 years back, we have taken it in turns going. Since then, I’ve never missed “missing” a match, bar the survival against Sunderland. Now this is for a number factors; but the last time I saw us win was the last home game va Bristol before COVID and It had been 15 months since seeing us win in person. But COVID has made me realise once and for all I don’t miss going one bit. Now I hope to god that I get “the feeling” back but I think it’s a way away.

Ron Martin has a lot to answer for. This whole thing is on his head. Yes MM turned out to be poor choice but the guy never stood a chance. Getting Brown in was too little, too late. If you can’t score goals, you can’t win games.

Will I be back at the Hall anytime soon!? Who knows. I wouldn’t expect so. If someone offers me a freebie maybe ?? Mrs T will be keen to get back but even she has her reservations and she’s a bigger and better fan than me.

Kev

The main issue for me is whether the club financially can survive this. If they can survive financially we’ll come back up before long. We also need to have a proper clear out of the playing squad - the lot of them if that’s what it takes. Don’t get rid of 8 - get rid of 28.

I have spent countless thousands, I have spent countless hours travelling, bunking off school, getting out of work and losing relationships over it and after tonight . I have seen us lose big games before I have seen the good times and I have seen has have terrible seasons. Nothing can compare to this and I tell you now this hurts this really ****ing hurts. Southend has never dropped out the football league and tonight has shown it’s all over.

TrueBlue i feel your pain, as thousands of others also do. My first few away games were at Col Utd ( ironically ) in 68, Brentford in 69 ( league cup replay ) Swindon & Mansfield same year in F.A Cup & so many more over the decades.
I met my 'wife to be' on Brother Grimms coach to Plymouth in 75, & a few weeks later we went on the 2 day trip, which saw us play at Tranmere on the Fri night, & go to Everton on the Sat!.
Both of our sons were members of the Junior Blues in the 90's, & were fortunate to witness the era of our famous games between 2004-2009.
I even missed my eldest sons marriage in NY in 2013, as that was the weekend we played Crewe at Wembley, & had i attended, i couldn't have got back in time for the game. Fortunately he understood!.
At this current moment, my enthusiasm has been totally drained out of me, like Achilles with his ankle wound. Whether it will have returned by August, i have no idea?.
Have lost count of all the relegations i've experienced since 76, but nothing hurts as much as tonight.
Main difference being, back then in the 70's, 80's etc, our team still played with passion, irrelevant of whether they were good enough or not. That was something which was abundantly missing tonight, which i find hard to apprehend?.
Reckon it's gonna be a long night tonight.x

The last time I was in Roots Hall we were a league 1 club,
then next time I enter we will be non league.........unbelievable
You have to think that factor has helped Ron get away with it. Imagine how insignificant a few eggs would have seemed in comparison to the week in week out displeasure a Roots Hall crowd could have displayed.

You are not alone in this @TrueBlue, everybody on this site (well mostly everyone) and all those who aren’t are feeling exactly the same tonight I’m sure. It’s heartbreaking. I myself am sat here in disbelief, the pain is numb right now but I’m sure over the next few days it’ll sink in. What’s vitally important though is to not shut yourself away from this, it’s better to talk about it.

Let’s face it, these back to back relegations couldn’t have come about at a worse time.. during a global pandemic. Football for many across the country has been an escape from the real world albeit for a couple of hours. For us though, it’s added to the misery and the hurt. It’s going to take a long time to recover from this and I’m not just talking about on the pitch. I urge everybody, don’t suffer in silence.

The one thing I am really grateful for is that this site over the last few months has been a place whereby I can vent my frustrations. I may not always agree with everybody’s opinions on here but will always respect those who differ from my own as my opinions are respected. This place has helped keep me somewhat sane and for that I thank everybody for making this place such a wonderful place to interact with others who share the same passion for this football club as myself.

A night I never thought would happen in my 40 years of support has finally dawned.

I have been saying for the past 3-4 years that we were on a slippery slope to oblivion, it hurts to be proved right but not a suprise.

For many years now we have stopped being a community football club and have become a means to an end for a property developer. The only thing that had any focus was the new ground, everything else was an afterthought with countless rounds of 'due diligence' (don't make me laugh) landing the club in an ever worsening position and further financial repercussions through pay offs.

I'm sure RM never thought this would happen but to anyone with even half a footballing brain the writing has been on the wall for years. All he has achieved is to drag the name of our great club through the gutter with more winding up petitions than hot dinners and unpaid wages. The result being SUFC reduced to a joke of a club which no one in football wants to be anywhere near, unless they are desperate last chance saloon types, the sort of people that when they turn up to play for your Sunday League team are instantly of no use to your chances of winning a game.

This is what our club has been reduced to, and to be honest, I really don't think we're anywhere near the bottom of the barrel yet. My real fear now is that as the club is without it's football league status the ground is of no benefit to anyone. We could very likely end up with a tiny new tinpot ground and the rest, along with Roots Hall will be filled with housing, and our worst ever chariman walking away with all his dreams fulfilled, and all of ours smashed into a thousand jagged pieces....

Forever a Shrimper

Spot on, you summed it up perfectly ? this isn't over unfortunately and won't be until RM does one decent thing, sells up and ***** off ?

In my 63 years as a shrimper I have felt sick after several games before but tonight I feel worse than I ever have. I don't think I can put myself through watching the remaining three games even though they could be the last in the EFL in my lifetime. I really cannot see us getting out of the NL in a hurry.

I have said before on other threads that I do not subscribe to the blame culture that is endemic in today's society but tonight I can't help but express my feelings that Ron Martin has been incompetent in his administration of the football club loved by most of us on here. I know some will say that without him the club would probably have died years ago but the way I am feeling now I am wondering if perhaps that would have been for the better.

Spot on, you summed it up perfectly ? this isn't over unfortunately and won't be until RM does one decent thing, sells up and ***** off ?

He's not going to do that until the pot of gold is in his hands. He will sell the flats. He will build the cheaper 3 sides to the new stadium, and then f off, leaving the expensive main stand with restaurant, bars, directors box, reception, etc, to the incoming owners.

Back