• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Winger

Pato the Blue

First XI
Reported today in the Echo that Tilly is not after the skilful youngester Mitchell Cole from Grays, who is attracting interest from   Arsenal

Instead Tilly is reportley interested in Danny Thomas who is available on a free from Boston

Danny Thomas

Whats your views on these two players?

I think Thomas would be good signing. Was pretty consistent for Bournemouth when they got promoted to League 1. Free transfer as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ June 27 2005,16:37)]I think Thomas would be good signing. Was pretty consistent for Bournemouth when they got promoted to League 1. Free transfer as well.
Caused us a few problems this year when we lost 2-0.

Disapointed that we're not signing Cole, a friend of mine who goes to Grays reckons he's quality & would easily make the step up. I really doubt that the Gonners would want to by a Conference player.

Cole is brilliant, another non-league gem, have him away!

If we can get Thomas on a free then great, two wingers for the price of nothing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ June 27 2005,17:36)]If we can get Thomas on a free then great, two wingers for the price of nothing.
I do not think Grays are about to give him away if Arsenal are interested....
rock.gif

Thomas seems a good player, might be worth a look. I've seen Cole play for Grays and he seemed an excellent player, if Arsenal decide against signing him then I think we should make a bid for the lad

I'd much rather have Cole myself. He only signed a one year deal with Grays last year, but I'm not sure his status at the moment. There are actually rumours flying around that he's had a bust up with Mark Stimson and he could be let go pretty soon.

As for Thomas, two years ago he'd have been brilliant, but being at Boston with their crap pitch and their tit of a manager seems to have upset his prowess somewhat. He'd definitely add something different to what we've got though, although I still think we should go for Martin Devaney instead.

With Devaney, I can only imagine he had a blinder against us on the first day of the season because at Cheltenham away, none of their players looked anything more than mediocre. If this is the case, we shouldn't lose sight of how poor we were first day of the season.

Devaney wasn't really just a flash in the pan though, he scored some stunners last year.

Just as a sidenote on one of our former wingers, Kights is wanted by Canvey and Thurrock. Oh, and we did indeed hold talks with Ronnie Bull as a potential replacement for Che, incase he left.

I'm very disappointed Tilly seems to have ruled out Cole, however the quote from Tilly doesn't totally rule him out of a future move to Roots Hall.

The fact that he said "he is not someone we've been looking at" doesn't necessarily mean if he became available at a reasonable price that we wouldn't be interested in him. I believe Tilson will be very careful about commenting on players he is after from here on after the McGleish deal fell through last year, we've already seen how careful he and Brush have been in not admitting directly to interest in Grant Holt and I don't believe its coincidence that no quote is on the official site re Danny Thomas either. Tilly obviously knows about Cole and that can only be a good thing IMHO.

On Thomas I reckon he'd be a decent signing, his delivery is pretty good and he has real pace wich would be an asset. I personally wouldn't read too much into the fact that Boston have released him as the awful pitch at York street wouldn't suit a player of his qualities. Plus of course he does have experience of L1 which will be useful.

Back