• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Wire

oh my god words cannot describe how good this is. it will change the way you think forever... like i say, i'm only up to season 4 so no spoilers, but i literally am spending every minute at home watching it! once i get to the end i'm watching it again. how this hasn't really got more love in the UK is beyond me.

oh my god words cannot describe how good this is. it will change the way you think forever... like i say, i'm only up to season 4 so no spoilers, but i literally am spending every minute at home watching it! once i get to the end i'm watching it again. how this hasn't really got more love in the UK is beyond me.

Yeah, we get Holby & Heartbeat.

I've never heard of it!!

Wanna give it a go now though.

Bought Season 1 myself on DVD last week (its £15 on HMV & Amazon right now though HMV had sold out last week) and it arrived on Saturday, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Looking forward to it...

I mentioned this series a few weeks ago here on SZ. Since then I managed to find the 3rd & 4th series in the UK and polished them off within a fortnight... Can't find it here, so will now buy the 5th series when I'm back in the UK at Christmas time and probably watch the whole series on my flight to the US before I even get back here!!

Not sure it's the best ever, but without a doubt it's the best series I've watched in a while.

I mentioned this series a few weeks ago here on SZ. Since then I managed to find the 3rd & 4th series in the UK and polished them off within a fortnight... Can't find it here, so will now buy the 5th series when I'm back in the UK at Christmas time and probably watch the whole series on my flight to the US before I even get back here!!

Not sure it's the best ever, but without a doubt it's the best series I've watched in a while.

so what's better? Maybe The Sopranos, maybe West Wing (which lot the plot a bit but the first few series were stunning)... other than that I'm struggling.

so what's better? Maybe The Sopranos, maybe West Wing (which lot the plot a bit but the first few series were stunning)... other than that I'm struggling.

I loved Mad Men to begin with, but lost the plot there after a few weeks. I remember Murder One being superb at the time, but that was just one series.

Battlestar Galactica has been my favourite show in recent years, but again it lost the plot in Series 4.

I'm ashamed to say, have never watched Six feet under or The Sopranos...

I loved Mad Men to begin with, but lost the plot there after a few weeks. I remember Murder One being superb at the time, but that was just one series.

Battlestar Galactica has been my favourite show in recent years, but again it lost the plot in Series 4.

I'm ashamed to say, have never watched Six feet under or The Sopranos...

BSG is fantastic, but I stopped watching halfway through Series 3

BSG never "jumped the shark". It was, and still is, brilliant telly. Amazing how they wove in current day Iraq/Afghanistan morality storylines under the guise of the cylon/human war.

Shame on you Seany - Soprano's was one of the finest shows ever on the gogglebox. Get yourself the DVD set, I bet you'll be hooked from episode 1.

24 is still far better in my opinion. Never watched the Sopranos, however a guy at work raves about that as well.

24 is still far better in my opinion. Never watched the Sopranos, however a guy at work raves about that as well.

the first few 24s were excellent, but I feel it really hasn't been great in the last couple of series. Jacks father/the Chinese/Wayne Palmer/Noah Daniels just got too crazy for me!

BSG never "jumped the shark". It was, and still is, brilliant telly. Amazing how they wove in current day Iraq/Afghanistan morality storylines under the guise of the cylon/human war.

Shame on you Seany - Soprano's was one of the finest shows ever on the gogglebox. Get yourself the DVD set, I bet you'll be hooked from episode 1.

Yeah I fully expect to be. The Wire is my next undertaking, followed by The Sopranos when I see it going cheap. This is obviously being counter balanced by watching every episode of South Park ever. Currently up to series 8.

BSG was great series 1, stunning series 2 and sporadically amazing in 3. But for the first half of this last series the storylines meandered, went around in circles and had little or no pacing. I'll stick with it to the bitter end now obviously and the cliffhanger left me gagging for more, but Series 4 for me lost something...

I liked 24 on and off for the first couple of seasons, but soon got bored. The storyline and writing became very similar to the pattern I hear Lost / Heroes have fallen into, jettisoning character arcs and a coherent story for more series than were intended thanks to the studios meddling, coupled with episodic diversions seemingly made up on the hoof. It also meant we got good entertainment on a weekly basis, but a programme that when viewed in one hit just isn't as fluent. And whereas those other shows we've discussed left me itching for the 'next episode' button, '24' in one sitting just doesn't work as well for me: "Oh, Miss Bauer got kidnapped. Again. For only the third time this series. Great..."

Back