• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The worm will turn ......... but not necessarily any time soon.

Phil Brown should have been sacked, how do people forget we won 10 out of 18 games under Powell once he left and finished 10th that year?

I get things aren’t good, but we could look back in time and say “well if we didn’t do this then” forever.

For example, if only Ron had handled funds better towards the end of the last decade, we wouldn’t have had to rebuild in League 2 without Tilly and Brush.
Powell did that with a PB team which always had a decent defence and midfield
Following season with his signings not so good....
You're last statement re Ron really is spot on and is the reason we are again in this mess.

I've always had pretty strong views on how and why we find ourselves in this current situation. Brown was very good for us but, like many managers, had probably run his course with the club.

Powell was a disaster. Got the early bounce a new manager sometimes brings with 4 wins from his first 5, but he failed to ever get close to that kind of form throughout the rest of his reign. Injuries have provided the perfect excuse for Powell to hold his hands up and distance himself from any blame. However, the warning signs were there long before the players started to fall. Weak signings, odd decisions surrounding the captaincy, his in game management that left a lot to be desired. Tactics hindering, rather than helping. Diverting from his preferred 442 (his signings were all geared to that system.) This isn't hindsight, it's an opinion I've aired since Doncaster at home in August '18. Powell's connection with the club has clouded opinions of his spell as boss. He has played more than a minor role in this situation.

Since then, we survived more by luck than the judgement of Bond. Bond then getting the job. More poor signings. The sacking and length of time it took to appoint a manger. Ron's odd pursuit of Larsson.

Now, Sol's at least being vocal on the state of the squad and their application. It's a huge ask to turn this around - and I don't mean survival this season, but I'm talking about stopping back to back relegations into the National League. It is that big a job.

I've been watching Southend for many years and cannot remember feeling such anger towards this group of players. Six points from TWENTY games is so embarrassing. I do hope Sol gets the time, retains his patience with the job and ships as many of these players out as he possibly can over the next two windows. Failure to do so doesn't bare thinking about.

No, footballing wise he has the experience and ability. I just wonder with him having been our best player over the past couple of seasons there must be a reason he hasn’t been made captain. Is that what is lacking from what would make him a good manager those leadership skills.

The rumour is he bullies the younger players. He won his spat with Theo because its Theo that had to go. The next man on the list who can't stand Cox wont be so easy.......We shall see.

Those that harp on about PB are ignoring the facts. He came in, did a job, things went stale. He was also the first of the 'clean sheet' mentality managers that have wrecked us. Letting PB go was correct. It is the subsequent appointments since that have been wrong.
As for RM taking so much blame, really? He has dipped into the coffers and given the string of managers backing. The managers have brought in old, past it, or uninterested players.
Sol needs to be backed. I still think, despite yesterday, there are signs of improvement. Three points will come soon. However, if the rumours are true, any bad apple should be dropped from the squad immediately. I will not accept Sol has taken charge of the team until he shows them who is boss.

I think Coxy could make a very good manager.

It's a shame there is a perceived issue with him. He has been our best player over pretty much all of the time he has been here.
I have a strong suspicion that people who become managers after being unmanageable themselves on the way up the tree do not end up making good managers. Someone currently trying to disprove this theory may be dear uncle Boris.

I've always had pretty strong views on how and why we find ourselves in this current situation. Brown was very good for us but, like many managers, had probably run his course with the club.

Powell was a disaster. Got the early bounce a new manager sometimes brings with 4 wins from his first 5, but he failed to ever get close to that kind of form throughout the rest of his reign. Injuries have provided the perfect excuse for Powell to hold his hands up and distance himself from any blame. However, the warning signs were there long before the players started to fall. Weak signings, odd decisions surrounding the captaincy, his in game management that left a lot to be desired. Tactics hindering, rather than helping. Diverting from his preferred 442 (his signings were all geared to that system.) This isn't hindsight, it's an opinion I've aired since Doncaster at home in August '18. Powell's connection with the club has clouded opinions of his spell as boss. He has played more than a minor role in this situation.

Since then, we survived more by luck than the judgement of Bond. Bond then getting the job. More poor signings. The sacking and length of time it took to appoint a manger. Ron's odd pursuit of Larsson.

Now, Sol's at least being vocal on the state of the squad and their application. It's a huge ask to turn this around - and I don't mean survival this season, but I'm talking about stopping back to back relegations into the National League. It is that big a job.

I've been watching Southend for many years and cannot remember feeling such anger towards this group of players. Six points from TWENTY games is so embarrassing. I do hope Sol gets the time, retains his patience with the job and ships as many of these players out as he possibly can over the next two windows. Failure to do so doesn't bare thinking about.

It was the fans not dealing with the injuries which has caused our downfall. Of course football is the best sport to blame others, whether your watching, playing or even owning.

Those that harp on about PB are ignoring the facts. He came in, did a job, things went stale. He was also the first of the 'clean sheet' mentality managers that have wrecked us. Letting PB go was correct. It is the subsequent appointments since that have been wrong.
As for RM taking so much blame, really? He has dipped into the coffers and given the string of managers backing. The managers have brought in old, past it, or uninterested players.
Sol needs to be backed. I still think, despite yesterday, there are signs of improvement. Three points will come soon. However, if the rumours are true, any bad apple should be dropped from the squad immediately. I will not accept Sol has taken charge of the team until he shows them who is boss.

Yes who wants trips to Wembley and 7th in L1 if you have to suffer clean sheets.

No for me its all about entertainment my last few trips to RH I have seen some thoroughly entertaining football.....

4-0 v Oxford with a goal in the first minute, where as other mangers would have kept it tight.
3-1 v high flying Ipswich when Brown would have played for a draw.
An 8 goal thriller v Doncaster.....When did we ever get that under Smith, Webb, Tilson or Brown. You could barely take your eye off the game otherwise you might miss a goal
4-1 v Wimbledon. Again others would have seen this a 6 pointer and held back.......As we have proved the best form of defence is attack. We have sent shock waves through L1 with our style of play......Long may it continue.

Last edited:
I never mentioned Cox and neither did Ricey, so funny how you've arrived at the conclusion that we're both talking about him.
Why do you think this is?

Because that is who we are talking about, Isn't it?

Regarding the "perceived issue", I wasn't referring to the specific posts on this thread, but a general view running throughout the forum.

^
Post of the thread, that!

Yes who wants trips to Wembley and 7th in L1 if you have to suffer clean sheets.

No for me its all about entertainment my last few trips to RH I have seen some thoroughly entertaining football.....

4-0 v Oxford with a goal in the first minute, where as other mangers would have kept it tight.
3-1 v high flying Ipswich when Brown would have played for a draw.
An 8 goal thriller v Doncaster.....When did we ever get that under Smith, Webb, Tilson or Brown. You could barely take your eye off the game otherwise you might miss a goal
4-1 v Wimbledon. Again others would have seen this a 6 pointer and held back.......As we have proved the best form of defence is attack. We have sent shock waves through L1 with our style of play......Long may it continue.

I agree we are toilet but let's not get carried away with things. I was behind the Brown Out campaigners but was also very sad that the players were responsible for his demise. He did his job but his tenure ended as the 'player malaise' began. Equally he introduced the style of play that we just don't perform well with. We don't, and didn't, have the players capable of of the defense style he wanted.
Look at Liverpool. Amazing stats but they concede every game. They can outscore the opposition because they try to.
You are a veteran fan, as I am, and we have seen a lot of good and dross performances. Our last four managers, have all played higher level football and all have wanted to introduce us to the way of playing they are accustomed to. I want to see a manager that accepts our limitations and plays to whatever strengths we have. Tippy-tappy football at the back ain't one of them.
My main point was about the disruptive players. Clearly it has been a long term issue and none of the managers have taken the bull by the horns. Oust the bad influences. I don't care who they are or how good they are.

I thought both him and Sturrock got the best out of our players by setting up to ensure we protected what we have.

That doesn't mean to say it's all defensive. We scored plenty of goals under PB.

I agree we are toilet but let's not get carried away with things. I was behind the Brown Out campaigners but was also very sad that the players were responsible for his demise. He did his job but his tenure ended as the 'player malaise' began. Equally he introduced the style of play that we just don't perform well with. We don't, and didn't, have the players capable of of the defense style he wanted.
Look at Liverpool. Amazing stats but they concede every game. They can outscore the opposition because they try to.
You are a veteran fan, as I am, and we have seen a lot of good and dross performances. Our last four managers, have all played higher level football and all have wanted to introduce us to the way of playing they are accustomed to. I want to see a manager that accepts our limitations and plays to whatever strengths we have. Tippy-tappy football at the back ain't one of them.
My main point was about the disruptive players. Clearly it has been a long term issue and none of the managers have taken the bull by the horns. Oust the bad influences. I don't care who they are or how good they are.

I don't remember PB introducing tippy-tappy, nor did CP. I do remember last season when the biggest moan form our fans was our long ball football that didn't work.....Mainly because we had career threatening injuries to both number 9's....Hopper and Hump.

Bond tried to introduce it but most fans weren't happy and neither were the players. Sol tried again but i think the last two games have proved he has binned the idea. We have had to decent performances in the first half of each game.....If only games were 45 minutes we would have had 6 points.

The goals we conceded in the last week had nothing to do with tippy-tappy, its just were are dippy-crappy

I thought about it since your post and probably shouldn't have made it quite so obvious, so apologies.

There is a perception that Cox is a problem, hence him not featuring much lately and having the odd issue in the past and sitting a game or two out.

Personally, it irritates me, as he is still one of our best players and works hard throughout the game. I sense his frustration, though. Working tirelessly upfront and seeing us gift the match at the other end.

He has also had personal problems in the last 12 months, which may have affected his long term view of wanting to be here much longer.

Think it was Millwall away in the cup when I first saw some great attacking play under Brown.
Yes we lost but we didn't half play well and we went on to play some breath taking football that season.
We were good under Brown and now we've messed things up.

We were.

Personally, I never saw the matches as negative. Some were hard fought and backs to the wall at times, sure, but never boring for me.

The worm better turn in January when 95% of the squad are shipped out and SC signs players who give a **** rather than waiting for their undeserved paypacket.

Should PB have been given more time ? I don't know but I do know that I miss the PB diaries !

Back