• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is the worst football pundit on the telly?

• Total voters
Voted for Townsend but only because Garth Crooks and Alan Shearer have not been added to poll:smile:

David ******* Pleat. Knows nothing. Utter utter ****.:angry:

Pleat's knowledge is encyclopedic.

Like having to choose what is worse between chlymidia and gonorrhea, but went for Birtles based on the fact that he hates any team south of Nottingham.

This is the Garry Birtles who was homesick when he moved to Manchester?

I will only vote when Garth Crooks is added to this list

Was Merson hammered tonight? Talking absolute jibberish. Random words in no particular order.

Garth Crooks is a great shout by Number11. Very strange person.

How is Hells Bells not on the list, she is pretty poor on SoccerAM.
Does that show count as punditry?

Was Merson hammered tonight? Talking absolute jibberish. Random words in no particular order

I saw that. He was awful. Don't Sky care that a person can't actually string a sentence together?

Phil Neville is/was pretty bad

He got some stick during the World Cup but I suspect that was more down to his delivery rather than what he was saying, which all seemed to make sense to me. At least PN can string a coherent sentence together, unlike Claridge & Merson.

I saw that. He was awful. Don't Sky care that a person can't actually string a sentence together?

I'm weary of football becoming overintellectualised (is that a word? have I done a Merse?!). However it feels like we're not doing it justice when everything is completely dumbed down and the punditry is really poor in many cases.

Watch NFL or NBA and you have intelligent commentators and pundits talking a lot of sense (tactics, history etc) - enthusiastic commentary about the game and drawing out sensible narratives. Cricket is similar, where recently retired players have added useful insight into the game.

Watch MOTD and you have 5 mins of debate about Nolan's disallowed goal (it was offside, assistant got it right), watch Soccer Saturday (why soccer?) and you have Merson and co screeching like a pack of feral animals and talking absolute garbage. Listen to Lawrenson and he has about as much enthusiasm as a toaster. Townsend has the vocabulary of a dead crab.

I'm weary of football becoming overintellectualised (is that a word? have I done a Merse?!). However it feels like we're not doing it justice when everything is completely dumbed down and the punditry is really poor in many cases.

Watch NFL or NBA and you have intelligent commentators and pundits talking a lot of sense (tactics, history etc) - enthusiastic commentary about the game and drawing out sensible narratives. Cricket is similar, where recently retired players have added useful insight into the game.

Watch MOTD and you have 5 mins of debate about Nolan's disallowed goal (it was offside, assistant got it right), watch Soccer Saturday (why soccer?) and you have Merson and co screeching like a pack of feral animals and talking absolute garbage. Listen to Lawrenson and he has about as much enthusiasm as a toaster. Townsend has the vocabulary of a dead crab.

I don't watch NBA or NFL so can't comment on any of that. However I do agree with you on the rest.

I'm not an intellectual snob (blimey, given where I went to school I can't be!), and don't want football to be anything other than fun. However, to me, listening to Phil Neal, Paul Merson and the rest of the mob screaming every five minutes to try and make their game sound fun and important makes me cringe. Especially as none of them are very good actors, and it's pretty obvious they're not being sincere.

I also think Garth Crooks is one of the biggest idiots on football related TV for the simple reason that he talks rubbish, and also does try to "overintellectualise" football. But, however much I hate him, I would rather watch Final Score than Soccer Saturday.

I'm not an intellectual snob (blimey, given where I went to school I can't be!), and don't want football to be anything other than fun. However, to me, listening to Phil Neal, Paul Merson and the rest of the mob screaming every five minutes to try and make their game sound fun and important makes me cringe. Especially as none of them are very good actors, and it's pretty obvious they're not being sincere.

I don't think I've seen Phil Neal on TV since the Graham Taylor documentary!

Some of the time. The buddy-buddy nature of some of the NFL stuff is excruciating.

Pat Summerall and Madden were brilliant.

Whilst in the states I watched the F1 at the weekend on NBC.

They have 3 guys, 1 American and 2 Brits doing the commentary, one of which is a former Benetton mechanic, and also a British pit lane reporter. They all seemed a lot more relaxed and more jovial than our lot and it is quite enjoyable.

However, listening to Americans commendation on Soccerball does really make you cringe.

Pat Summerall and Madden were brilliant.

Whilst in the states I watched the F1 at the weekend on NBC.

They have 3 guys, 1 American and 2 Brits doing the commentary, one of which is a former Benetton mechanic, and also a British pit lane reporter. They all seemed a lot more relaxed and more jovial than our lot and it is quite enjoyable.

However, listening to Americans commendation on Soccerball does really make you cringe.

This sounds good. I've lost Sky F1 channel and so stream the non-Beeb games. Will give the NBC stream a go next time.

This sounds good. I've lost Sky F1 channel and so stream the non-Beeb games. Will give the NBC stream a go next time.

Interestingly I watched the race on the BBC, and then watched a repeat on Sky last night. I actually much preferred the BBC commentary as it was more exciting. The guys on Sky sounded like they were half asleep.

And then came the thing that convinced me I would rather watch F1 on the BBC: after the race the Sky interviewer asked Niki Lauder if Lewis Hamilton had the title within his grasp now. I can't remember the exact wording, but the look Niki Lauder gave him was one of complete disdain. I didn't wait to hear the answer, the question had me leaving the room!

They love a sensational headline do Sky.

The English co commentator on NBC is David Hobbs. He sounds very similar to Peter Alliss which gives you an idea of how relaxed the thing is.

Back