• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Theory

jassyfa1

Manager
Lets say I have loads of money and I want to become a chairman of a football club. Now lets say I don't want to buy a club but build a club from scratch. I have enough money for a 40,000 seater stadium and there would be a decent size fan base as there are no other league club in the vicinity.
Lets now say I don't want to start at the bottom but at the top, so I form my own league outside of FIFA and other rich businessmen start to build their own clubs and join my league.
Legally I can get players at the end of their contracts from the premiership and championship. I dare say the league would get sponsorship and television deals, so what would stop somebody from starting up a rival league?

Lets say I have loads of money and I want to become a chairman of a football club. Now lets say I don't want to buy a club but build a club from scratch. I have enough money for a 40,000 seater stadium and there would be a decent size fan base as there are no other league club in the vicinity.
Lets now say I don't want to start at the bottom but at the top, so I form my own league outside of FIFA and other rich businessmen start to build their own clubs and join my league.
Legally I can get players at the end of their contracts from the premiership and championship. I dare say the league would get sponsorship and television deals, so what would stop somebody from starting up a rival league?

You are Kerry Packer, and I claim my five pounds.

It's possible, but in practice it would be difficult to pull off. You would need to dramatically overpay in order to attract players to a rebel league and it would be difficult to achieve critical mass. You'd need stars in order to give the league credibility and they'd be risking a huge amount to defect, as the league/FIFA etc would close ranks very quickly. Players joining the rebel league wouldn't be able to play international football. Sponsors would be encouraged to lean on those tempted to defect, journalists who wrote positive pieces would find themselves ostracised and cut off from the contacts they need to write their pieces etc etc

I can't see UEFA/FIFA accepting a "rebel" League from a nation that already has an established football hierachy either... Unless you have enough money to bribe those as well.

Don't Qatar do that? They have signed ageing players that are at the end of their contracts on extremely high wages.

You're all wrong. It's Paul Sturrock. The ******.

Oh. And it's Bill Jennings as well.

This relates back to the NFL when a rival league called the WFL appeared, they took NFL and top ranked college players into their league on a higher payscale.
With a lack of credibility towards players opting to play for this league, how many players would go for extra money, as loyalty towards a club yet alone a league is nothing these days.

Back