• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

These Middle Eastern folk..

While in England I interacted with British citizens on a daily basis, but while I was in the Netherlands this past July the nature of my trip there meant that I was typically spending time with other Americans and never really got a great opportunity to hang around any Dutch people.

The thing that struck me when I was in America was just how many of them have never been outside of the States and don't even own a passport. At a push I spoke to a couple who had been to Canada or Mexico.

Ok, i think the only way to sort this is a round the world race in 80 days only by land and sea...

8991.jpg

The hat suits you J :D

I agree with J , there are several aspects to "foreign" cultures I find unusual. The method of mourning being one of them. I am sure that there are several aspects of "Britishness" which baffles the world too.

We have "French Kissing" , Some countries call football violence - the English disease. Any others spring to mind ?

What are you talking about? Nonsense... that's all i can say.
You have just typed absolute tripe from what i can see, with no real reference to the original post what so ever...

And as for travelling, i bet your bottom dollar, the places i have visited are much more adventurous and exiting, than those you have.. and probably many more than you have.. not just with england away.

You refer to that, as though i go with these silly ****s who park up in an irish Bar for the entire trip around the main square of the city.

I'll bare that in mind next time, after all i went to Israel this year, i will guarantee I was one of very few to venture into palestine and the disputed terrotories..

I'll also remember that, when i went to croatia and visited the old POW camps from the Balkans wars. Also, when i went to rourke's drift and the borders of somalia when england played south africa in 2003, and the world cup last year, when visiting numerous sites of the Great Nazi War machine.

So matt, was that the answer you were expecting? I think not.

I wonder how my friends are doing in Sri Lanka as well, i must check on them after my visit there a couple of years ago... Hmmm, i also wonder if i can think back past 2003 for the places i have visited.

It's spelt... Centre Parcs, John. :thump:

:hilarious:

Smelling is not my strong point either.

That's like the 2 dyslecsic brothers driving down the A127. one turns to the other and say's ' can you smell petrol Jon '

jon says ' Fukc of Dave i can't even Smell my own name, you **** '

I'll get my coat :thump:

If you're so well travelled and seen a bit of life's rich tapestry then why do you come across as one of the most narrow-minded people who has ever touched a keyboard?
Precisely my point about J.

J - I concede that my comment about where and how you've travelled was perhaps a little unfair, although save that "bottom dollar" bet. We can compare passport stamps next time we meet.

It may interest you to know, however, that as well as having 14-or-so years' head start on you on the travelling front, I've also lived outside the UK for about 8 or 9 years, which is not something I believe you've done. As I imagine that any of our Zoners who has lived abroad would confirm, it is only when one lives abroad that one truly learns to understand and tolerate cultures which are different from our own.

Having also travelled extensively in Pakistan (and most of the rest of the Indian subcontinent, of which the densely-populated parts of Pakistan from the Indus Valley eastwards are indisputibly part) and the Middle East (Iran, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Qatar, UAE), I felt I was able to pass comment on your statement. I simply felt that there was an undertone to your post - based on how you'd opened and closed it:

"These Middle Eastern Folk... all very odd."

Why are they odd, just because they express grief differently? The Japanese wear white to a funeral - does that make them odd? The British wear black to funerals - does that make us odd?

It was your use of the mildly pejorative "odd", rather than "different", to which I was objecting. Yes, they do express grief differently in the sub-continent and in the Middle East.

So what?

:confused:

Can't really see much wrong with what the original post said , as i too often find it quite bizarre as to how some other countries handle funerals, .

Mind you, other countries probably view it a little weird that we have gravestones in this country inscribed with, for example, "Mad Frank" with a (insert football club) crest on it. Very nice!

I like the Zoroastrian relegion where you're put in a high tower and left to be eaten by vultures. I quite fancy the idea of being bird food when I cark it.

Pakistan is generally refered to as being in the Middle East (albeit on the very edge!), not sure where you're going with the last comment.

From a political / economic / population point of view, most of the big / important cities (Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad / Rawalpindi) and states (Punjab, Sindh) in Pakistan are indisputably part of the Indian subcontinent.

The likes of Peshawar and Quetta (and most of Balochistan) are geographically part of the hinterlands of the Persian massif and might thus be seen more broadly as part of the larger Middle East. But the important parts of the country are part of the subcontinent, of that there is no doubt.

I suppose the confusion about Pakistan's identity may arise because, ideologically, the country's religious hue can create the impression that the country is part of a wider Middle East. However, having travelled extensively in that part of the world, Pakistan felt to me as if it were Indian with an Arab-Islamic flavour - rather than Arabic with an Indian flavour.

Matt

Last edited:
I don't care how J worded his original post,this thread has me in stitches.
Which is good.
After the terrible X-mas footballing campaign served up by my club, i need a bit of light-heartedness and this beats sticking the telly on.

Also, when i went to rourke's drift and the borders of somalia when england played south africa in 2003.

Impressive. The southern border of Somalia is some 4,000km north of South Africa - one assumes you also enjoyed the delights of Mozambique, Tanzania and Kenya on your long journey north?

;)

I like the Zoroastrian relegion where you're put in a high tower and left to be eaten by vultures. I quite fancy the idea of being bird food when I cark it.

Lol tis funny i was just thinking of that one . (Im sure it came from Tibet originally mind they call them air burials)

Its practical , and if you have a mountain hillside so economic. Well can carrion birds . Budgies would be hard pressed.
Wicker basket and plant a tree on top for me i think.

Back