• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

haveaguiness

Coach
Right did anyone see the interview with "sir" trevor brooking. How is this man the head of our youth development.

Skills coachs : for what exactly? They don't have these in any other country do they? Just as the dutch coach said, it is a stupid idea (not in those words obviously)
When kids are young they need to play small sided games as the other dutch coach said, this gives time on the ball and lets kids learn themselves.

Stop telling our kids what to do, maybe this is why so many of them go off the rails in normal life, always being told what to do by someone.

In brazil the coaches will stand and WATCH for an hour and a half training session hardly ever saying anything, until they reach 14/15 where they start to learn the finer points of the game.

I mean do you think a "SKILLS COACH" taught ronaldinho how to do his infamous Elastico trick. I think not, he came up with it on his own because he had none of the pressures of winning at a young age and enjoyed himself andmade up his own mind on the pitch rather than being told what to do.

This creates far more techniqually gifted players, players that are not scared to take on other players and better all round readrs of the game.

So "sir" trevor brooking, stop coming up with all these ridiculous ideas that will get us nothing, except a massive indent in the 200 million pound that you have to spend, for something which will probably be scraped in the next 3-5 years. Learn from the countries where they are producing far better players and successful players. We have one thing that alot of these countires dont have and this was right from the dutch coaches mouth "PASSION". We have relied on this for far too long and are now being found out!!!

Im 20 and i can see exactly what the dutch coaches are saying why cant the FA, also maybe because i had to research it for my uni project, but why do we always have to be so damn blank about any ideas and go for the thing that we THINK will make us better rather than looking at what works and trying that, ie dutch style coaching, brazilian style coaching, not flaming skills coaches!!!

I hope this is all sorted and to be fair giving Capello the task of getting to a semi final by 2012, with what will probaably be the same players he has now will take a miracle, i expect it to be at least 6-8 years before we see any players of this hopefully techniqually gifted era.

Thats my rant, any opinions from people??? what do you think we coul do to improve the whole game of english football?

Great post - I ended up being told I wasn't welcome at the club my son was training with a few years back. I merely questioned (ok maybe a bit stronger) the merits of having 9 year old kids doing stretching and fitness exercises. In one session no-one touched a ball for over 30 mins. At that age play, play and play again. Every exercise they do should involve a football.

yep i agree mate, however i believe a few top flight clubs have skills coaches usually foreign....i thought the idea of it was that it gives the players time to prectice their own skills with no pressure?

still i totally agree that you need to make sure the kids get lots of touches and always work the ball....and the coach should step back form training and encourage the players to think...ask them questions constantly;

what do you think were getting out of this?
has it helped?
how would we use it a match situation?

im also lead to believe that in many foreign countries for example portugal the kids dont pley competitive football until there about 12..

this whole issue drives me crazy.. i dropped out of football when i was about 12, i was just fed up with the way it was run and the majority of the parents and coaches were prats (along with Trevor Brooking)... being screamed at and spending most of the training doing shuttle runs and laps isn't football training, give kids a ball and let them get on with it, explain the skills as they are having fun and learning... because games are so competitive at a young age and on big pitches, the kids have to be fitter rather than skillful, which is the wrong way around.. cos you can develop fitness, but skill is something that you gain at a young age

Everything should involve a ball, there is no reason why you can't develop fitness and athleticism whilst having fun with a ball at your feet, there are 1000001 training games you can play... instead of picking little bits from here and there, we need a proper redesign of the way things are done, and again the FA needs to grow some balls.

and trevor brooking is a d*ck

haha fair comment c c csiders but the players these countries are devloping are better than the declining english talent imo...
we could learn alot from how foriegn countries treat and game, quite ironic as we taught them the game in the first place!

I've got my Level 1 Coaching Badge and with any luck will be getting my Level 2 Badge with Southend before doing a coaching scheme in the US once I graduate and, I have to say, this has surprised me to come from Brooking who pushes so much for the development of the youth.

There's no doubt about it, at the moment the grass roots level is p*ss poor. The number of coaches i've played for/come across who have been absolute pr*cks with no experience is astounding. In one game I tore my hamstring... I was told to get up and run it off. That's the biggest problem, people are getting out of their armchairs and walking into coaching kids with no training whatsoever...

With Level 1 being approx. £65, It wouldn't be too much to ask for to make it a requirement to coach Children to have this Coaching Badge... There are literally thousands of centres up and down the country that offer the training and it would definitely stop the number of kids dropping out of the game because of idiot coaches ruining it for them.

Taking Orms point about stretching, although kids at this age do not need to stretch the Coach will try to install this routine so it becomes familiar for later on. Don't forget kids develop at diffeent rates between the ages of 9 / 10 til about 15 /16. At under 12 level for instance there could potentially be a physical age difference of 4 years between players. Coaches therefore try to make the warm up........and just as important..... the warm down habit forming. Anyone that does fitness work with youn kids, say below 13 / 14 needs shooting !!!

East Stand Blues point about coaches is valid, but you try getting on a level 1 course, they are pretty much booked up striaght away. All Standard Charter Junior clubs have Level 1 coaches and Codes of Conduct which are supposed to keep parents, managers , spectators and players in line...but this oftenn goes bye the bye.

The Level 2 badge is bloody expensive to pass i think it is around £300 plus a week off work plus further 1 off sessions. However the coaching is much better and i think some of this supposed grassroots funding should be offset against Level 2 costs to make it more affordable for those who would like to take it. The funding will probably go back to where is is less needed anyway...like junior pro clubs and buying land for a new team etc rather than education as the FA would then has something to show for their money rather than trying to prove how well grass roots coaching is going

cheers for the replys guys.

It just seems stupid to me that everyone has the same opinons except trevor brooking. I don't know how many of you have watched the video yet (its on sky sports website if you havn't) but i watched it again yesterday and when they are asking the dutch coach questions its just funny to see his responses, especially when they ask if there is anything they could learn from english coaching, he just sits there "errrrrr...." don't think trevor brooking was very pleased.

What you are saying about the level 1 coaching though, by the research i had to do, i found out that if you manage a kids team you have to have this qualification, or have a qualified coach taking the training, BUT that does not make you a "qualified" coach if you see what i mean.

Becuase it is such a short course the majority of the people taking it don;t really learn the values of training kids, only the ones that want to go further, taking there level 2 or further will really understand how!! to coach kids, and they tend to just want to win!!! The under trained coaches that is.

That is the hardest part of this that the only way to make kids better is to let them play and have fun, but no one likes to lose, so you will have poeple doing anything they can to win.

One of the ways to improve this and what my project is actually about that im doing is to play futsal. It is played all over the world, in most countires it is the only thing they play until they are 14 which is when they then go onto play 11 a side. Because it is non contact you don't get teams winning by kick the cr** outter other teams and it is ability and skill that wins, so you don't have kids moaning when they lose becuase they will be beaten by a better team as apposed to a bigger stronger bullying style team, something that happens all the time in this country.

Therefore it encourages skill, technique, passing, speed!!!! and even though we play 5 a side in this country you still have the bigger stronger teams winning as apposed to the more techniqually gifted players.

My aim is to take my final prject to the FA and try and get them to start emphasising Futsal on the British Public, hopefully they will accept, ill let you all know!!!!!!

haha fair comment c c csiders but the players these countries are devloping are better than the declining english talent imo...
we could learn alot from how foriegn countries treat and game, quite ironic as we taught them the game in the first place!

Thats the problem though isnt it, becuase we taught them we think we are always right when it comes to football, but we really are not!

Back