• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is the worst southend side ever

I really think there are some fans that could be an absolute asset to the club if used correctly, there are a lot of clueless fans, but also little gems who like yourself really do know and understand the lower leagues .

Phil's Ego meant that he never really done his homework on the NL and trusted his 'Im a ex prem manager' mindset and it backfired spectacularly. I for one didn;t see it coming but then i also didn;t know the standard of this league.

I hope Stan does invite the other poster who attended thousands of youth games and someone like yourself for lunch/coffee/meeting to really get an indepth feel of this league and what is needed to get out of it.

the 3 Managers of course know their way around this level but you can't have enough knowledge and help IMO

Great post BTW
I have to admit it took me by surprise also, just how completely out of touch Brown seemed to be second time around. I also think it was a great post from Barry C, who I'll admit I got tired of pre-season because he kept repeating the same thing over and over. He appears to have really done his research on the league which does make you wonder what the hell Duncan and Brown were doing .. on the players we brought in, sadly Ogogo, Dunne, Coulson and Atkinson look to be past their best. You hope that Kev, Benno and Darren can start instilling some confidence in the younger batch of players, get a spirit back into the dressing room and we can start moving upwards!!

Last edited:
I think our current coaching team would play better at their ages now than some of the dross we had on our books 2019 and now.

Bobby Moore’s team didn’t exactly set the world on fire but there were massive off the field antics in play at the time. Alan Little’s team weren’t much better than that but I’d wager both were better than what we are currently seeing. The thing is on paper I don’t think it is relegation fodder. The three musketeers have now had a week or so to assess. Next steps will be very interesting. I stick by my comments a few days back. A leader in defence, creative midfielder and give Walsh and Rush two or three games. If you’re good enough your old enough.

How can there be any comparison? At least any “worst team” / “worst players” from previous moments in our history were playing at higher levels.

This team is underperforming at the lowest tier of football we’ve ever known and is unquestionably the worst collection of misfits we’ve ever assembled. The odd bit of talent in the likes of Dalby, Ralph and Arnold. But unquestionably a team that would get a good hiding from any other team in our history.

Yeah I forgot about the 45 mins at Daggers.
I was always in the thinking that Brown’s pre season’s was always tough and the players were fit for duty. Why are they flagging now we have only just got into the season?
Brown has this reputation for fitness but it was only the first few years when this was actually justified. I’ve speculated previously that it was Dave Penney but others have suggested there was a fitness coach who was fired who had made the difference. Whilst that L2 side was very fit (back when Will Atkinson was the Duracell rather than Easter Bunny) by the time we were L1 that was no longer the case. Ryan Leonard’s athleticism hid a lot of sins until he was sold but Nile Ranger was the unfittest I’ve ever seen a professional footballer, regularly blowing out his backside first half, Micheal Kightly, Anton Ferdinand trudged their way through games etc.

Another factor will have been he inherited a young, athletic squad and gradually replaced it (both times) with declining pros like the aforementioned Kightly and Ferdinand who had to manage their training and save themselves for matches. I doubt whether the likes of Coulson and Dunne go 100% in practice and that can set the tone - hence Maher talking about the need for intensity in training and rebalancing the squad.

I think the facts prove its our worst team ever, although maybe with better coaching / management its possible we may have stayed up last season.

Bobby Moore’s team didn’t exactly set the world on fire but there were massive off the field antics in play at the time. Alan Little’s team weren’t much better than that but I’d wager both were better than what we are currently seeing. The thing is on paper I don’t think it is relegation fodder. The three musketeers have now had a week or so to assess. Next steps will be very interesting. I stick by my comments a few days back. A leader in defence, creative midfielder and give Walsh and Rush two or three games. If you’re good enough your old enough.
Ha ha I am not Napster. I didn’t know something you didn’t.

I haven't been going as long as some on here. But since 93 I have seen some poor sides.

I always hoped I'd never see another side as bad and as desperate as the side under Alvin Martin.

But I think the time has come to accept that this current side is the worst side I've seen.

The last few seasons have been dreadful.
There is some players that are perhaps past their best and need moving on for sure, but there is a lot of talent also. They are lacking confidence and have clearly not been coached to their potential both individually and as a team. Don't give up on them, they need your support. With an investment of the current coaching team hopefully they can push on. Despite the start to the season, give them a chance and get behind them. There is a long way for the season to go to get this team right.

Back