• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This team has no belief

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
The last few games and games for a while have been a chore.

Apart from the glaring tactical ineptitude and genuine lack of desire, there seems very much to be a confidence issue and a belief to win games. This seems even more evident when going behind.

Very worrying the performances at the moment.

No fight tonight whatsoever as soon as that first goal went in. Stark contrast to the team that left everything they had on the pitch at Charlton on Saturday. Teams below us are all picking up points more regular than we are. A relegation battle is upon us better some want to admit it or not.

Just Like the other “10 or so teams around us ,I think you find it’s just us being crap you can’t be good all the time

As I said there is more likely less effort from the teams below us as well ,
That’s why they are in the same position

I’ve just had enough of this season it’s been god awful!

There's no leader on the pitch to gee them up - or in the dugout either it seems.

At times it seems we have no belief and that comes from the manager and his staff

Nice guy but not sadly a decent Southend manager at this time of asking, Ron must be twitching 6 points from relegation and a game played more ( Though give me the points rather than a game in hand)
Accrington will be a big game not only for the club , but I suspect Powell/ Martin relationship

I see a lot saying we are in a relegation battle. Sitting in 14th and 6 points above the drop zone and 18th in the form table doesn't sound great but not terrible.

In the last 14 seasons, 51 points has been enough to avoid relegation. Gillingham in 21st place, going at their current point per game rate, would finish on 49 points (rounded up).

Currently on 39 points, we would need 12 points from the last 14 games to stay up. Looking at the remaining games, there are key games.

Given our results against the top 8 have been poor, we can probably discard them and say any points will be bonuses, taking out 5 games.

While our home form has been poor (17th in the league), 4 of the final 7 home games are against teams who are 18th, 19th, 21st and 24th in the away league table ("typical Southend, we will lose to them" comments predicted). The other 3 are against the top end with Portsmouth having the best away record, Barnsley and Sunderland with the joint 3rd best.

That leaves us with 5 games left, all away to teams in mid-table to lower-mid table. Fleetwood are the only team with a half decent home record, so putting them down as a defeat. Our away record has been good (10th in the league), which could be the difference.

The next 4 games will not decide if we are going down or not, 3 points from those games would be good (basically beating Accrington). The 4 games after, especially Scunthorpe, Wimbledon and Shrewsbury, could decide our fate this season. Should be aiming for at least 7 points from those games.

Remaining Games
Portsmouth (H) - 3rd in league
Accrington (A) - 16th in league
Barnsley (H) - 2nd in league
Blackpool (A) - 8th in league

Scunthorpe (A) - 13th in league
Wimbledon (H) - 24th in league
Peterborough (A) - 7th in league
Shrewsbury (H) - 22nd in league
Fleetwood (A) - 9th in league
Wycombe (H) - 10th in league
Walsall (A) - 17th in league
Burton (H) - 12th in league
Rochdale (A) - 18th in league
Sunderland (H) - 4th in league

Yeah can’t wait for it to finish ,first time in twenty odd years I’ve not been going,last game was New Year’s Day

I'm exactly the same. Rather be earning money and working. Used to look forward to home matches and a few hours with my mates.

Haven't enjoyed games much this season

Even last season when Powell came in I think there were confidence issues.

Excluding his first match in charge, where we won 3-2, every win Powell got last season we managed to score in the first 10 minutes.

Excluding the 3-2 in the 8 other matches where we didn't score in the first 10 minutes we managed 1 goal (which was scored in the 11th minute).

It's like the players lose confidence in themselves going forward if they don't come out flying, it's just that this season our defence has also lost confidence as well.

There's no leader on the pitch to gee them up - or in the dugout either it seems.

been saying the same all season, no one on the pitch taking/organising like Barrett, Timlin, Leonard used to.
The problem lies in midfield, cant pass, cant tackle, lose possession too easily, no wonder the centre backs hoof it long, they know the midfield will lose it anyway.
We've also conceded far too many late goals, suggesting either fitness or concentration is an issue.

Back