• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Thoughts on Kevin Betsy?

Oh Betsy !!!

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Whilst the priority is defence at the moment as we are seriously short of bodies I think most people will agree we also need a/a couple of winger(s).

The G-Man was never replaced and I whilst Tommy Black was succesfully replaced with a waste of space I still feel were light on wingers.

Scannell for me is almost useless and always flatters to decieve. However I personally have a lot of time for Kevin "Oh" Betsy.

I thought he was creative, hard working and he scored I think and could be wrong here 3/4 goals last season. I seem to be in a fairly low minority as I think he was good enough for this level.

The bulk of this board plus Tilly didnt seem to fancy him much and I am not really sure why?

on hid day betsy is a good winger I know he set plenty of goals up especially at the start of the season but then his form just went down the pan, he picked up slightly towards the end of last season but not sure tbh

Has weighed in with a few important goals when coming of the bench,but his overall displays for me are just not good enough.

Neither Betsy or Scannell are good enough, already i think Laurent is the better option but would like to see Jimmy Walker out there as well.

Neither Betsy or Scannell are good enough, already i think Laurent is the better option but would like to see Jimmy Walker out there as well.

If you talking about attacking then I agree with you.

However I cant help but feel sorry for Simon Francis and his notoriously volatile confidence as the defensive cover from either Walker of Laurent.

If you talking about attacking then I agree with you.

However I cant help but feel sorry for Simon Francis and his notoriously volatile confidence as the defensive cover from either Walker of Laurent.

Dave, on last night Franno did enough for me for Tilly to try him with Adam at least in the short term and for Grant to play RB. He just needs to watch some of his tackling - some very dodgy ones again last night.

Where is the "I'm a part time fan who never gets to games so can't judge" option?

:whistling:

Francis is a last resort at centre back. Not convinced he should be in the team at all, too many lapses in concentration. Grant at right back? You avin a laugh? What next Macca in goal? Play players where they are meant to play. Its just covering up the fact that our squad is threadbare.
Agree with Dave we could really do with a decent winger on either side. Our full backs will be badly exposed with strikers playing out wide. Laurent may have a bag of tricks but can he pick a pass to a forward or swing in a cross for out strikers to attack? Not on the evidence so far, and neither can Walker (if we ever see him in a blue shirt again).
One thing I would agree OBL is Grants tackling is very reckless, and his theatrics when he gets fouled dont make him one of my favourite players.

Dave, on last night Franno did enough for me for Tilly to try him with Adam at least in the short term and for Grant to play RB. He just needs to watch some of his tackling - some very dodgy ones again last night.

Thing is with Francis, he is always liable to switching off and you just cannot afford that at CB. RB you *could* get away with it when it happens.

I know it was completely makeshift, but if Grant never plays right back again it will be too soon! He was behind the back line by about 4-5 yards a lot of the time playing everyone onside!

Still, cannot be too harsh on the players as they are doing their best in ridiculous circumstances.

Anyway, what was the question? Ah yea, Betsy - voted "Average" - I like him alot, but you cannot say he is a 'Class Act'.

I'm prefering Laurent at the moment though.

Still, cannot be too harsh on the players as they are doing their best in ridiculous circumstances.
Bit the same as this time last year then, when we wasted virtually our entire pre-season trying to be a 2nd rate Doncaster Diamonds! :madman:

As for Betty, I know several people who think he's decent but to me he's very disappointing mainly due to a complete lack of end product. I believe he has a bit of ability but manages to fail to use it most of the time.

People say that he wasn't a replacement for Gower & you can't expect as many goals from him. But if you actually look at his stats his goals per start ratio is amazingly better than Gower's. Betty has 51 in 268 league/non league starts & MG 51 in 314 starts (I usually discount subs as they could be 1 minute for all we know). Although contributing to Betty's record is 8 in 7 games for Woking it has to be remembered Gower had a much longer non league career so a player of his quality could or should have picked up more goals. Lies, damn lies & statistics!

Anyway still can't rate Betty very highly.

Laurent has potential on the wing but doesn't make the runs down the line, he cuts short instead leaving a big gap that he should be exposing. Betsy sets up goals so is obviously a decent winger but lacks pace and never gets down to the line or the edge of the box like most wingers and he instead goes for the option of a diagonal ball in right from the corner of the box or even further out which leaves a gap down the wing for the full hack to expose but if that doesn't work there is now a gap at the back and if he full back doesn't push up there are more players in the box as less have been dragged out wide. Scannell has pace and a bit more skill and does get down to the line but his crossing could improve and too often chooses the wrong option.

My mate thinks he's f'ing awful. So I've spent a lot of time watching him, trying to find good things about Betsy just so I don't have to agree with him every time he berates him.

Unfortunately even with my ultra-positive, distinctly rose-tinted spectacles on, I can't find anything that he does that's even average. He's not quick, he's not strong, he doesn't cross particularly well, and he doesn't appear to have a good tactical brain. About the only positive thing I can say about him is he has a good temperament which, without any other qualities, isn't going to be enough.

Havent seen him as much as you hardcore chaps & chappettes but in the few games I have seen him in I've always thought he's done ok. Certainly never awful, just a reasonably competent wide man at this level. Certainly good to have in the squad imo.

Like DtS I have alot of time for old Betsy, I've always got the impression that he's better than we saw last season.

He's a proper out and out winger - not a striker or a CM played out of position, he understands the role, puts crosses in (2nd most assists after Moussa last year?), covers back, can pass & run and even chip in with the odd goal.

For me he didn't seem to really get going last year, think there's alot more to come from him.

Back