• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Save our Southend Thursdays meeting here!

Was an interesting watch for sure - but really came away from 2 hours thinking "most of these points have been discussed to death for years".

So yea next time maybe (and Ron suggested this himself) have a set list of questions you can get to the SUFC management with a few days notice so they can answer them in more depth.

Theres an argument either way. You can ask the question on the spot and get a 'real' unprepared answer where you feel like you've got the other person in a tight spot which has its benefits - or you give them 72 hours to come up with a political answer which may have more depth, but not be the answer you really want.

Some points though were unnecessary. To say "half the team are loanee's and dont care" is not true in the slightest. Ron was right to call that out as BS and put the asker straight. I'd say all the current team care and only last week my mate and I commented whilst watching that RHF seems the most motivated of all of them. Then you have Olayinka who is pick of the current team and even Cordner who came in for a lot of praise.

So no, you cant say stuff like that and when Ron called it out, the asker had no backup to answer him.

But generally questions were well put. Ron really comes across as a chancer who's making it all up on the hoof (the answer to the refund question was particularly telling).

My final takeaway was really 'what has been achieved?'. Ron doesnt have to do these at all - but would get more criticism if he didnt, but at the same time he must have got off the call and questioned why he'd spent another 2 hours of his life answering similar topics that have been banded around for years.

That probably means we DO need to keep having these chats to get eventual answers, but maybe more direct questions. Accept the answers given even if its not what you want and maybe make a FAQ sticky post on SZ so these things dont go round and round forever.

Following on from this and my point earlier, and the good post above, along with if they are bad question propose some others.

What are we trying to achieve exactly from this sessions and how do we know whether we have achieved the outcome?

If we want to operate from a point of view Ron would understand, these should not be run as fans in a social club discussion but rather as a supplier/ customer service review. This reviewing performance to expectations , with various improvement plan discussed and agreed. Just happens that it’s Ron supplying sufc football and us fans the customer watching successful or exciting football.

At times we are all guilty of asking the wrong question and saying we are right. Ron talked about how Mark is changing the culture lead me thinking have we established what is Southend United football club and what is being done to put bums on Seats;
  • What is sufc identity and psychology
  • What is the culture of our club
  • What is the strategy of the club
  • What do we need to be successful this season
  • What weakness on the playing field needs answering
  • What improves need to be made to the customer experience
  • What can more income be generated
Sure some of this made be moneyball statistics but they make sense if we see these sessions continuing and adding value. And we need to understand our subjects and expectations back to front and inside out to stop the wiggle room.

eg goal to be promoted from league 2, need to achieve 80 points, forwards to score 10 goals each, players to run 6 miles per game, goal keeper/defence to stop 10 shots per game.

Eg culture and psychology of the team to be developed the youth academy selling 3 to fund 50% of year cost of the programme and bring 3 youth players per year into the 1st team. All outfield players must be able to play in two positions

identified of the club playing root one *yawn* football and occasionally failing to pay players, ok you get my point.

At the moment, the key questions what is being done to support Mark get 12 points to remain in league two. What do we need to to score goals to get more than 1 point per game.

if we don’t get 12 poins and relegated, what will happen to the playing staff, budget. How will the culture change etc

Ron if we get relegated how long will you comit to funding the club and youth setup?

About half hour in and it's a difficult watch.

Not for the reason I thought though.

Ron's come across pretty well. Scott misread the tone of it though. Taking about a trifector? Saying mm is inept then the next 3 People disagreing. Not the cohesive front I thought there would be.

Getting upset that Ron swore? Really werid. Please don't swear at me Ron ?

Also, I think there should be some women on the call. It's not really representative of the fan base.

I'll have a go at the other 90 minutes later.

Just my tuppence worth.

Ron's come across pretty well. Scott misread the tone of it though. Taking about a trifector? Saying mm is inept then the next 3 People disagreing. Not the cohesive front I thought there would be.

Also, I think there should be some women on the call. It's not really representative of the fan base.

Just my tuppence worth.

There was a lady on there who is joined by a male on the sofa. They both didn’t really look interested. There was another woman on the Feb one. Surprised that @OldBlueLady wasn’t at both of these.

I've now had chance to watch the whole vid. I'll go into my thoughts in depth soon (unless that would bore you to tears, and you rather I didn't). In general, I came away thinking RM was impressive with his knowledge and sold his views well, however it's always the same with those type of business/sales people...you come away realising you've only been given snippets and it raises more questions than answers.

Well done to all involved for putting on the pressure and obtaining the video for all to see.

Last edited:
At the moment, the key questions what is being done to support Mark get 12 points to remain in league two. What do we need to to score goals to get more than 1 point per game.

if we don’t get 12 poins and relegated, what will happen to the playing staff, budget. How will the culture change etc

Ron if we get relegated how long will you comit to funding the club and youth setup?

He did answer these.

1. The transfer window is no longer open so no other players are coming in. He has thrown his full support behind MM and said he and his staff will still have their jobs at the end of the season. I don’t think that is Ron’s job on how to score a goal a game- would say that was MM and teams responsibility.

2. He said most will be out of contract. They will try to keep the ones they want but most will probably leave. MM and team to stay on. Still may get CEO in national league but maybe different to who he was thinking because they would not want to be CEO in national league

3. He said there was a parachute payment that will help keep the youth set up going for a year and a half.

I thought Ron came across well in general, a few iffy/ cringe moments from both sides. People seemed to get an answer but then proceed to ask the same question like they hadn’t been listening to the whole conversation.. think the CEO was one. Agree with most of the comments. Prepared questions, less people speaking and on the call.. if it’s broadcast to everyone anyway that shouldn’t be an issue.

Overall was a good listen and will be a regular listener to future events. Well done to those who organised and I think at the end everyone left on good terms and hopefully a start of a more positive, open relationship between club and fans... well we can dream can’t we ;)

UTB ???

He did answer these.

1. The transfer window is no longer open so no other players are coming in. He has thrown his full support behind MM and said he and his staff will still have their jobs at the end of the season. I don’t think that is Ron’s job on how to score a goal a game- would say that was MM and teams responsibility.

2. He said most will be out of contract. They will try to keep the ones they want but most will probably leave. MM and team to stay on. Still may get CEO in national league but maybe different to who he was thinking because they would not want to be CEO in national league

3. He said there was a parachute payment that will help keep the youth set up going for a year and a half.

I watch the stream and no the questions like these were not answered in anyway as they are strategic questions not what will happen questions

1.What are we doing different to get more than one point per game. Transfer window is closed and Mark has his full support, does not equal how do we get more than 1 point per game, ie score more goals. Though Ron probably could not answer these questions.

2. Players out of contract is not a strategy for size of the coaching staff, size of the playing squad, budget Mark will have at his disposal, we will lose some and sign some is a poor answer if this question is asked. If Ron said the total budget will be £400k and Mark can spend it how he wishes, that’s an answer.

3. the league will pay us with parachute payment but as Ron has said he funds the club to £100k per month. How long will he commit to the club if we go down and how much. These are the type of statements we need to pin him down to

There was a lady on there who is joined by a male on the sofa. They both didn’t really look interested. There was another woman on the Feb one. Surprised that @OldBlueLady wasn’t at both of these.

Unfortunately, the timings just haven't worked for me with work being as busy as it is, I'm still at work till or after 6 pm most nights. The lady you mention on the most recent one is Clare, the Trust Treasurer, and her husband, Shane. Both were there more as observers, as the Trust board had put their questions through Paul Fitz. The Trust Fund Raising Chairman, Alan was also part of the call, again as an observer. Not sure who the lady was on the earlier call, as haven't seen it, but would guess it's Lesley, the Trust Secretary.

That could be a right laugh in fairness
Yep it could be, i know your joking. The serious side is these are a good forum and if structured well as others have mentioned previously we could get a lot of out of it, so maybe best to keep Shrimpet out as we would just have an hour long on MM and Ricky Holmes lol

Ron did not come across at all well in my opinion. What SUFC would be left with are scraps, when and if we move to Fossetts.To have open ended situation where Ron could take at will is
totally ludicrous !! He wants it all ways.His reaction to refunds on season and away tickets was dreadful.He should have offered refunds and advertised it straight away, not after being
pressured.His puppet accountant, mentioned nobody had requested a refund !! I would be interested to know what are the revenue streams per year ! FA,Premier League monies, Pools,
season tickets,sponsership,match day revenue, transfer fees, advertising,and others I can't remember.So does Ron really pay much out of his own pocket ? When he first became owner of SUFC,the debt was just over three million, and we owned Roots Hall. Transferred the assets
into his own companies and then charged rent. We now owe seventeen million plus to Ron,and have minimal assets.A catastrophe by all means.I fear nothing ,but heartache for the future.

Just my tuppence worth.
I think if you ask many of our fans they think the same about MM, Ron does his usual and tries to create a divide. As for his swearing, a degree of professionalism would not hurt would it? Especially when that’s being recorded
Drop me a message you can ask your own question, open forum after all

Back